WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2005, 07:46 AM
A Local Legend
Elk Grove, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Wood's Lake - Wip

Finally had time to work on this some more after reading an excellent explanation of color and what happens to it as it recedes into the distance. I strongly suggest this as an excellent explanation of creating distance, see this link: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290260

I've been studying this painting a lot and finally figured out I have been painting what I thought was there instead of what IS there, mainly the tree reflections. I done some dabbling here and there throughout and think the painting is beginning to have some form, but still a long way to go...

Would love to hear what you all think at this point. Am I heading in the right direction?

Happy painting,
Mikki

"To Begin, Begin." - Wadsworth
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2005, 09:19 AM
Lord of the Arts
Lubbock

Hails from United States

Yes, I'd definitely say you're heading in the right direction. The reflections are looking more like water but still like the real part.
Tammy
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Pecos, NM 87552

Hails from United States

This is coming along just grand! But please, guys, if you flip this around any more, I'm going to become sea sick!!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2005, 11:55 AM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States

Ta-dah Mikki! NOW it's coming along well- just as I knew it would- you always manage to pull it out. Lovely detail- reminds me of a guy in my sister's gallery in Carson Valley near Reno- you should see those ginormous pieces of his framed and hanging! Better than being there, almost!
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Lord of the Arts
Beautiful British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Wow, this is looking GREAT! The colours you've added have just brought it to life! And the water is looking really good!

Is the trunk of the main tree a little heavy/thick? My eye just gloms onto it.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oegstgeest

Hails from Netherlands

Your painting is coming along very nicely, like it. You do wonders with the colours. Thanks for the reference to Larry Seiler's thread, very interesting indeed.

My website: www.marinabuis.nl
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2005, 05:47 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Mikki...wow...you brought it a loooooong way since the first post! I agree that the one tree trunk and reflection seem a bit strong, maybe the tree is ok, as it serves to bring the eye to the focal point but the reflection should be weaker. Your water is fantabulous looking, I really like the violet you brought into it and ripples very realistically. should the mountain snow be a touch bluer in the distant mountain, reflecting the sky? It's really looking great, Mikki..I couldn't come close to this in a landscape if I painted another 50 years.

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2005, 07:06 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States

Hi Mikki - this is sooooo much better and to answer your question...yes you are on the right track. It's impressive how toning down those brilliant and strong colors harmonizes the piece so much. Agree that it's perhaps the value difference that makes that tree - your focal point - still not quite right. Maybe it needs to be soften a bit on the edges and then it may work better.

I defer to more landscape artists.

B

www.MorninNoonanNight.com
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2005, 07:36 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Oooooh, Mikki, you are right on track - keep going!!! I would lighten the reflection of the largest tree just a tad, just swipe it with something lighter.

You are almost there -
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2005, 09:26 PM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States

Lighter? Kat, are you sure? Since I have pretty much zippo landscape skill, I'm puzzled by making it lighter. I think making it lighter would make it too contrasty- in fact, I would let the water ripples in its reflection be the "light foil" rather than making the tree colours lighter. The reference photo demonstrates very high contrast between trunk reflection and surrounding reflections until the greenery cuts in, but you also have to remember the camera has exaggerated that contrast. If the island is the center of interest, I think the reflected rocks and that bit of trunk have to be toned down in contrast just a wee bit. In this reference, all of the reflections are darker than their "real" counterparts.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2005, 09:59 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

hmmmm . . . something about the tree and the reflection is off. They are too much the same tonal value. My monitor is showing the whole painting quite dark - maybe that's the problem. Reflections are supposed to be darker - but somehow I want to change something in that trunk. If I only had a stick of pastel that would adhere to the monitor screen -

Edit: Maybe it's that darkish line on the left side of the trunk - and again, that could be the camera making it darker than in reality.

Last edited by Kathryn Wilson : 08-25-2005 at 10:01 PM.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2005, 10:36 PM
A Local Legend
Elk Grove, CA

Hails from United States

Okay, ladies...point taken. I need to work on the contrast of the tree trunk and I will. As for the darks in the tree reflections, I've just roughed them in for reference at this point and hopefully they will work better and be lighter or darker as needed as I go into the final stages. I love the fact that when something is really in need of attention, everyone agrees it needs attention, not necessarily the how to but the need to is clear. This is just the kind of info I post here to receive. Because I work so slowly, often I develop selective vision where a certain piece of the painting is working well so I stop looking at the ugly spots...Does anyone else do that? I've already picked out my next subject so now I just want to finish this.

Plus my daughter just left here with a van full of my paintings. Imagine that! Guess I've made the grade...or something...

Happy painting,
Mikki

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2005, 11:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Where is she going with your paintings?
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2005, 03:30 AM
Immortalized
Arizona

Hails from United States

Oh yes, Mikki, this is very much turned in the right direction. That reflection of the right hand tree trunk just needs to be greyed down and to have more of the water color slipping through it just as you've done the left hand reflections. I think the whole piece will come together more when you have put in the lighter tree trunks in the forrest and in their reflections. The water has really come together and goes with the sky perfectly. It's fun to watch you confront the conundrums and pull out the perfect solution. This will resolve into another great piece.
TJ

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2005, 10:04 AM
A Local Legend
Elk Grove, CA

Hails from United States

Ta Dah!...I guess...I'm finished, at least for now. Relatively pleased with the outcome. Much better than I thought I was going to do a few posts back. The ripples in the lake are done by dragging a color shaper on point through the water at random. I think it was effective, eh?

Wood's Lake, CA
Pastel on Wallis Pro
18"x24"

Sorry for the blurred image. Will try for a better image later when light is better. C&Cs always welcome. X-posted in Landscapes.

Mikki