WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England
Re: Face to Face, June 2005 - Tell us how you got here!

Thanks for the invite Eileen! As some of you know, I’m a retired nurse, however my art influence was my father, I suppose, even though he only stayed till I was 10. He was an artist, so we grew up with the smell of turpentine & Linseed oil in our nostrils, indeed I used to accompany him to his Saturday morning masterclass with a renowned Scottish painter( Sir William Crosby), and I’d sit listening while they talked or argued over the topics of the day.
I enjoyed art at school, but when it came to choosing a career I was advised against art. To cut a long story short…I chose nursing, but vowed when I retired to pick up art again.
Later on in my nursing career I had a mini stroke, which, although I recovered well, left me easily tired at the end of a shift…and not fit for anything. But I carried on until 3 years ago, when we moved to Suffolk and I decided enough was enough, so I retired aged 52….and I found a local class run by Carole Massey, who was very encouraging. This led to my looking for art related techniques and tips…and ultimately to Wet Canvas!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2005, 01:37 PM
A WC! Legend
Montana

Hails from United States

Eileen...terrific thread!
I grew up always sketching things on my notebooks. Didn't have much encouragement in the arts at all. In the early 70's I felt this sudden URGE TO PAINT IN OILS! I had no training of any kind so took a paint like me course with a local guy, that got me acquainted with oils. I painted through the years sporadically as I was busy raising my family.

My keenest desire was to be able to paint my 3 daughters faces! I always saw the face as the most interesting & challenging!! I still do.

I finished their portaits in early 90's.....stumbled around teaching myself from books. I found WC and finally my skills & knowledge began improving! Being able to learn from other generous artists online made such a HUGE difference! Posting my work & getting critiques helped immensely too. I'm so proud of this forum that has grown & become one of the strongest on WC!

It's a thrill to hear how everyone came to art!!

One of my most special memories of painting was in my studio several years ago with my mother who has a very natural talent, especially with color. She passed away a year ago & that painting hangs on my wall as a reminder of that day we shared our passion for painting!!

~Be COURAGEOUS, It's one of the few places left still uncrowded~

~Life is not measured by it's length BUT by it's depth~

Last edited by artbabe21 : 06-23-2005 at 01:42 PM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Great thread! It’s fascinating to read how everyone’s journey has been. Well, I started to draw when I was a little kid and even won a prize given out by some Italian art professor (which impressed my parents enormously, bless them). Never took formal art lessons, except for the usual art classes in school, most of which consisted of crafts, which I hated. Folding and bending and cutting and glueing – not for me. But I continued drawing on and off till I got married and then suddenly dropped art altogether. It wasn’t until a visit to Santa Fe two years ago that I got bitten by the art bug again. Wandering through all those art galleries in that beautiful town was an almost mystical experience. When I got back home, I ran to the nearest art supply shop for a sketch pad and pencils. Now I’m in the process of learning about different media and colours.

Oh, there are some people in my family with artistic inclinations, but none who have made a living of it. It must be nice to have someone close with whom you can share your passion.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2005, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Paris, TX

Hails from United States

Never have I enjoyed a thread so much as I have enjoyed this one...
I come from a very large, very poor family...growing up in the farming communities of West Texas, In '68, my
great grandmother passed on and at the funeral I met my second cousins new bride...Ann was the sweetest person I had ever met...She had me and my older sister come stay with them for a few weeks that summer and that is when I met her Mom...Margie Reeves was a wonderful artist and it fascinated me to watch her paint...I remember telling her I wished I could paint like that, but my mom said I couldn't draw a straight line if I had to...
Margie replied with the statement that most painters couldn't draw a straight line either...a few years later I had a great art teacher Mrs. Gibbs, who encouraged my drawing attempts, and a very special Home room teacher, Miss Milstead who took it upon herself to look after my physical and emotional well being....I gained so much confidence that year that I too entered on of those magazine art contest...I can remember the guy even came to our home with a scholorship offer, but my parents turned it down, and I was in trouble for doing something like that without their knowledge...I was accused of tracing the image and told that they offered everyone a scholarship, it was a gimmick to get your money...Well that was the end of my drawing...Two years later, yeah the 8th grade I quit school and went to work, helping my mom support her kids...Then in 1983 a neighbor showed me the basics of drawing eyes and the cross method of placing features...Boy I thought I was fantastic,,,that year everyone got a sketched portrait for christmas...Mom got a whole album..a sketch for each of her 13 kids...I now have that album as mom died in 96...In 92, I opened a ceramic shop and learned to make and paint ceramics, and have some pieces displayed in very prominant establishments....I also discovered the art of spray can murals...I have several pieces left of freehand landscapes painted on ceramic plaques, with underglazes that until fired off and glazed I really had no idea if it would work or not...My husband was Killed in dec. 2000, and after that I was struggling with depression and heart trouble, when my son purchased a copy of Meta Creations painter classic for me at a discount store...since my passion for art and frustration with it has grown by leaps and bounds...I have taken a year of lessons, but felt frustrated because I wasn't learning as I felt I should be...I have collected a vast library of art books, supplies, materials and reference items...my hurdles seem tremendous at times but the gratification of conquering those hurdles is the ultimate...I have always been on the creative side, styling hair, making my own clothes, my son's clothing, baking, decorating cakes, etc...Some of my brothers and sisters have artistic abilitties though they do nothing with it, My son is a talented sketcher, who rarely draws anything, except to help me when I am struggling with a technique or body part...Studying the genealogy of my family, I have found my father's family were knife makers in france before coming to america, and they had a natural talent for cooking and baking...I know my father could do anything he set his mind to do...and he passed that trait on to me...and I to my son....So yes I do believe it is genetic as we certainly weren't taught that we could be anything we wanted to be....I found wet canvas, through a recommendation from my younger sister, and I might add that one of her daughters is very talented and post a lot of her works at deviant art....

Last edited by nancy_ellen56 : 06-23-2005 at 11:14 PM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2005, 04:14 AM
A WC! Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

This is a fantastic thread, and it is wonderful to read everyone's interesting stories. What a great way to make us feel even so much more like family

I would love to see everyone Rate this thread, as it has been a wonderful idea of Eileen's, and deserves to be Rated, so go ahead family and give it the rating it deserves.

Val.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Immortalized
in a cozy house next to a lovely forest

Joy, it's wonderful to have you here. It is inspiring that you took college courses alongside your child.

Pam, thanks for stopping in. How exciting that you have written and illustrated children's books. I can see from your style that they would be quite appealing.

Hannah, you are learning four languages? That is so impressive to me. I think that you will go far in whatever you decide to do.

Holley, it's great to hear from you. I wonder if you've ever thought to try the watersoluble oils? I know many use them to good effect, and they come without all of the solvent involvement.

Sandra, you seem to be making great progress in spite of not having workshops nearby. It means a great deal when your family is supportive.

Thanks for dropping in, Deirdre! It seems a lot of people are advised against art as a career. Glad that you have made your way back to art, and here to WC!

Hello, Cathleen! What a wonderful memory you have of painting with your mom. Thank you for sharing that.

greenpearl, I'm with you on that crafty stuff. I used to feel guilty that I don't "do" crafts with my kids (all the other moms do!) but I've found that my children are very crafty in spite of me, and very creative as well.

nancy ellen, it sounds as though you had some great mentors who encouraged you. I'm curious about the cross method of placing features - I've never heard of this.

Val, thanks for your support!

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by eileenclaire : 06-24-2005 at 10:39 AM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2005, 10:49 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Please see http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274829
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2005, 10:58 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie Carter Magee
BTW I'm curious about how many of you have relatives who are artists/artistic? Is there really an "artistic gene"? My Mom is artistic, my Grandmother drew, Great Uncle too and there is someone famous in the family tree back in Germany (his work is in museums, etc) but I forget his name.

No one in my family, including cousins, are artistic unless they've picked it up in the last thirty years.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2005, 11:06 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysyllanfair
All of you who have posted to this thread seem like old friends to each other and a contribution from a relative newcomer may not mean much to you, but I thought it would be interesting to explore for myself why I paint. My parents had some very fine paintings when I was a child - a John Sloan I remember particularly - so I grew up exposed to art. My father died when I was only thirteen, and he left behind a painting he had done of a Paris scene that I still treasure. It is the only one of his I have ever seen, but he must have done more because it is too good to be a first effort. I was a model before I was a painter - my parents commissioned a portrait of me when I was about ten - and I took a few lessons from the artist when I was a teenager. I later went to a most unlikely 'art school' - Virginia Military Institute - but had a wonderful professor who taught an introductory art class - painting, sculpture, printmaking. It was there that the seed was sown - but it withered over the next forty years as I worked (advertising) and raised a family. I did spend an inordinate amount of time in museums and galleries when I was traveling on business and pleasure and that kept the fire alive. Now I've retired and it has all come flooding back. What an exhilirating, frustrating, challenging, rewarding feeling. I'm taking some classes - a portrait class right now - painting almost every day, and trying my hand at everything - landscapes, figure, still life. I've learned a lot from some of the forums on WC, posted a few paintings and gotten some great input. I'm still working on a portrait I posted several weeks ago and it is coming together - I think. I look forward to lots more good criticism. Thanks.

Robert

Lexington is a heavilly artsy town. Not unexpected with three colleges plus VMI. The wood carving place 'Mountain something-or-other', iirc was neat. Bought a mini table easel from the store that's set back a bit off the street and is heavilly into model railroading.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2005, 11:48 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenclaire
That is a wonderful twist of fate. I have a feeling that you are an incredible teacher. I could scarcely believe that teachers felt that way about left handed students! I don't understand what difference that could possibly make.

You can say the same thing about; skin colour, whether you're heterosexual or homosexual (I don't have a heterosexual 'lifestyle' and homosexuals don't have a homosexual 'lifestyle,' either) among myraid other things. All of these stupidities are Bible based. Ignorance is 'bliss,' I guess. (shrug) Being left-handed was considered 'of the Devil(tm)' and children were forced to utilize their right hand.

I can write script with my right hand. I suspect my dad went down to the school and 'raised the roof,' as all I remember is using my left hand for note taking.

Unfortunately, he wasn't around for my brother. I suspect he's suppressed left hand as he can't write script with his write hand and his printing is horrible and very difficult to make out.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2005, 12:02 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holley
What a great thread!!!

In February 2003 my partner bought me a cheap packet of oil pastels and I had a go at doing a portrait and became hooked. About 5 months later I began doing commissions and did so for 6 months, at a very cheap price. I found I never had enough dark colours. I began playing around with a few different mediums and found that I love oils. I became pregnant for the second time and couldn't handle the smells that came with the oils, so I had to put them aside.
- Holley

Art Advantage's 18 pack of Oil Colours 18 x 12 ml/0.41 fl. oz. tubes have no solvents. Use them with a walnut oil medium and you're fine. M. Graham company's products all have a walut oil base.
http://www.mgraham.com/
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2005, 05:50 AM
Gloucestershire, England

Hails from United Kingdom

I seem to be the odd one out.
I had never thought about art very much. I did not draw or doodle.
My career was in the Royal Air Force and the Civil Service.
Although was sort of artistic to the extent that I learned to play the violin, I gave no thought to the visual arts.
My wife started to attend watercolour classes after her retirement and I was always being asked for my opinion of the work she brought home. So after I retired I started drawing and painting classes too. I became very enthuiastic to such an extent that my wife gave up in a sulk and left all the painting to me.
We are both members of local art groups and I exhibit twice a year, without much success.
I now paint mostly in oils, improving imperceptibly and one day I may even be considered competent. Currently doing portraits.
WC is a great help and encouragement to people like me and I visit as often as I can.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2005, 07:39 AM
A Local Legend
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McNeill
I seem to be the odd one out.
I had never thought about art very much. I did not draw or doodle.
My career was in the Royal Air Force and the Civil Service.
Although was sort of artistic to the extent that I learned to play the violin, I gave no thought to the visual arts.
My wife started to attend watercolour classes after her retirement and I was always being asked for my opinion of the work she brought home. So after I retired I started drawing and painting classes too. I became very enthuiastic to such an extent that my wife gave up in a sulk and left all the painting to me.
We are both members of local art groups and I exhibit twice a year, without much success.
I now paint mostly in oils, improving imperceptibly and one day I may even be considered competent. Currently doing portraits.
WC is a great help and encouragement to people like me and I visit as often as I can.

Tom, I saw your Hawk you posted. I do hope you will post more of your work...especially portraits. The hawk was nicely done-I really like it. You're hiding your light under the bushel I'm thinking!!! You have interesting artistic beginnings too...lots of talent and skill! Keep up the good work!
Col. 3:23
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Immortalized
in a cozy house next to a lovely forest

Hello stoney,
I couldn't find your post in that looooong thread , so maybe you could repost it here .

Tom, thanks for posting! It's always interesting to hear of others who come to art as adults. I hope you will post your portrait work in the forum - the Portrait Gallery thread is great for doing that if you don't want to start a whole thread on it. I hope to see some of your portrait work soon.

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2005, 09:19 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
UK/Midlands

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi I'm very new to posting though I signed on last year as a member. Well I don't think I posted but 6 months is a long time when your memory plays tricks with you

I've always like drawing, but I've never really got serious about it till this last few years, and last year I signed on at college for a life drawing class, so at last I am really begining to improve.

I'm 56 next month, and I have a son aged 31 very soon as well. I'm divorced, and happy to be able to devote my time to my hobbies that are rapidly becoming a lifestyle. First is my painting and secondly my computer which as helped me with my art no end.

Thank you for giving us this thread Eileenclaire. *Hugs!*