WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2000, 01:48 PM
Birmingham, Alabama

Hails from United States
Why is the Doc getting so defensive? There are good and bad reviews on all work. They are just opinions that we all have. I do think he went overboard on his rebuttal and sort of acted childish if you ask me. (My opinion) I appreciate seeing Sandy stand up for her opinion, and may I add, in a professional manner.....Crow

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2000, 02:47 PM
A Local Legend
Canton, MI USA

Hails from United States
I know I'm late coming in on this one but...

The doctor got defensive because he was rather bluntly told that his method was wrong. I would also be defensive!

There is more than one way to pluck a chicken, so to speak.

The best artists can start anywhere on a figure and end up with great results.

Remember different does not equal wrong, necessarily.

And for what it's worth (you can judge for yourselves, I know), I also always begin with the eyes!

Let's not be so pedantic! This is art, after all.

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2000, 06:41 PM
Immortalized
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Cindy - agree that the best artists can begin anywhere or use any technique and end up with a good result. But the critique here is that not that this is just art - this is about teaching art Dr. Hevener may paint in any way he wants - put for the beginner this is simply not looked upon as a good method (as many have pointed out above).

It can be very difficult to get the values correct, and colors consistent (as you can see in the result). A colorist aproach may be different.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2000, 10:05 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
manhattan,ny

Hails from South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
cindy,,,this is not about the portrait. this is about learning to bring a realistic painting along in as easy a way possible. doc's method is wrought with hurdles. and as you said,,,,,the BEST artists can work in any method.....milt