WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2004, 11:22 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Crystal Blue Persuasion WIP

thanks, Julie...got it and it's a great ref! hmmmm....will be taking notes and trying to work it out in OPs for a classroom there...we have clouds and then trees first Nice huge file....may go for a non-literal crop

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2004, 12:49 PM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States

Whatever works- it's definately a good idea for a class in "painting what you SEE" rather than what something *is*- since a good crop would nearly obliterate what the figures actually are.

The sun peeked out for about 4 and a half minutes- I may have gotten a few with brass, and a few against a seagreen backdrop. We'll see.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2004, 05:25 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from United States

ok,,who has taken over Julies body and what do you want???

You have hit a new plateau in your work...words can't express it so I won't even try....but your knowing your personality, I shall hence forth call you ...
The Crystal Pistol!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Düsseldorf, Germany

Hails from Germany

Great work! I love absolutely everything about it: the reflections and shadows of the glass, the choice of colors and the whole composition. Very well done. Keep on doing such nice things!

Dirk.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2004, 10:33 PM
A Local Legend
Sunny California

Hails from United States

Oh Julie, this is another incredible painting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES! YES! YES! A lesson would be great!!

gwen
Attached Images

Last edited by binkie : 07-18-2004 at 10:42 PM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2004, 10:15 AM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States

Wow! YOu are definitely the Queen of Crystal! THis is gorgeous...you have that glass technique down to a science. Just beautiful!

Sandy

My WC Gallery
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2004, 10:18 AM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England

Im still utterly bowled over....... and stumped for words.... lol, so will leave it to Preston.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonsega
You have hit a new plateau in your work...words can't express it so I won't even try....but your knowing your personality, I shall hence forth call you ...
The Crystal Pistol!
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2004, 11:11 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Can someone please enlighten me. ... what does "up the sats" mean?

hmm ...sunlight...what's that? We are having the LOUSIEST summer here. I know what you mean about rust.

I am sure you will find lots of customers for these kinds of pics, such lovely colour, they have a very particular appeal. Well done to work thro the pain, too.

J
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2004, 12:52 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Yanno... coming in here and being called names could be a shattering experience (haha- get it? shattering? *wink*wink*), but since I've never been one to indulge ego problems, I'll just take the names and run with 'em. Well, I say run, I mean more lurch at high speed with a slight drift to the right and a trail of sotto voce curses 'cause running isn't something I do at all anymore. I'm old- I prefer the idea of a motorized wheelchair. With overdrive.

Thank you Preston- let's hope it's a plateau which has a level or three above it I can climb to yet, eh? Prolly need some ropes and pitons, though.

Thank you, Dirk- while I don't feel the need for photo-realism (mainly 'cause it's too blasted time-consuming and I'm lazy) I certainly enjoy making a painted object jump off the 2-D plane and grab the viewer. And some challenges just have a great deal of appeal to me- one of those subjective art things, I s'pose.

Fine, Gwen, lemme get this last one (at least) done and I'll see what I can put together for you- I know you can do it because I saw what you did with Kitty's water piece- the principles will be the same, I think, and putting it into words is a great way to solidify the "how-to's".

Thanks, Sandy- I'd tell you it's not that hard, but you'd never believe me. So, I'll tell you it's just like painting anything else: What you see.

lol Dawn- be careful or I'll hafta come up with a name for you- but I'll wait until I'm tired and those unconscious word-plays rise to the top.... Thank you.

"Up the sats" means to increase the saturation of colours in a photo-editing program, Jackie- since most of the hue shapes in clear glass are simply "light" or "dark" and some varying shade of the background, increasing the saturation of the picture will show what colours are making those shapes. It also brings out the hue variations which are present in glass and crystal according though their own chemical make-up: Lead crystal sings with many more "rainbows" than, say, regular silicon glass, and vaseline glass has uranium added, which makes it glow a yellow green. Ruby glass (not flash- that's something else) has gold added- it turns the glass red- and on and on. It's the same reason some old glass bottles left on a window shelf will turn purple, and some will turn green- it's what was added to the silicon base.

Alors! I'm giving a chemistry lesson and I haven't even finished my first cup of coffee- bad idea. But yes, I'm sure these will find good homes- solid work usually does. Thank you.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Boy Julie...you have quite a vocabulary. I'm lucky I can say anything at all with words and make sense. I'm just not good in that department. You have a gift with your art and with words. You're funny and smart...a winning combination!

My Wet Canvas Gallery
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2004, 02:20 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Judy- if it ain't fun, why waste energy on it? Some things are ick and you just gotta do 'em anyway, but there's no sense feeding the ickiness- save that kind of nurturing for the good stuff and milk every drop of joy out of it you can.

'Least, that's my take on life....
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBabyJ
Judy- if it ain't fun, why waste energy on it? Some things are ick and you just gotta do 'em anyway, but there's no sense feeding the ickiness- save that kind of nurturing for the good stuff and milk every drop of joy out of it you can.

'Least, that's my take on life....
I definitely agree with having fun. I am good in that department.

My Wet Canvas Gallery
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2004, 02:30 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Oh- and I meant to tell you, Jackie- I'm up in the northwest corner of the US- this area has been compared to Scotland weather-wise: Basically, a nice day is when the drizzle lightens enough so you can see the lighter spot the sun makes behind the clouds. That's not quite true, o' course, a good summer up here is absolutely gorgeous- heavenly weather. Nice and warm during the days with lots of sun, and a refreshing dip back down at night so you can open the house and sleep cool. Summer is when the tourists come and decide to live here, move on up in September or so, and then the weather closes in, and it rains for the next seven months.

Popular myth says we have a higher suicide rate than elsewhere in the US, and that'd be easy to believe given the number of sheer gray days. If it were true though, it'd probably be more directly attributed to the depressing irony of building a Starbucks inside a Starbucks, and the new heights of stupidity environmentalists can go to while driving to protests in their Birkenstocks and Beemers.

Perfect, then, eh Judy?? lol
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBabyJ
Popular myth says we have a higher suicide rate than elsewhere in the US, and that'd be easy to believe given the number of sheer gray days.
We visited my cousin in Seattle a few years ago and I do have to agree the weather can be a bit depressing. But the trees are huge and the flowers are an amazing color. Probably due to the constant watering. It's really a beautiful part of the country.
While there we visited Puget Sound, Pike Place, U. of Washington and few other interesting sights. Oh also..Boeing. Boy big hangars there.

My Wet Canvas Gallery
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2004, 05:38 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by judwal
*snip*..Boeing. Boy big hangars there.

You know what that means, right??

Big planes with big wings....