WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2004, 01:22 AM
A Local Legend
Colorado Springs -- Pikes Peak Country!!

Hails from United States
Re: Crystal Blue Persuasion WIP

Really nice...the glass is gonna be fab and what you've got is lovely! I'm with you...standing too long gets to me big time, though I'd prefer that if I could...gives one freer motion and better control, I think. At least if you work on it in the mornings mostly, that limits the standing to some degree.

Looking forward to the finish on this one!

"Real learning comes quietly, unannounced, without a parade." Elizabeth Mowry
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2004, 03:24 PM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States

Thanks, Sue- I ended up putting my tabletop easel on a chair and setting the drafting chair to its highest setting- seemed to work but it was a bit late, by then. I get up and walk away every few minutes- mostly 'cause of my back, but I also do a circuit 'round the house and come back to look quick and see if anything jumps at me. *shrug* I just gotta accept it isn't going to be a pain-free process.

Thank you, Cindy- it's coming along, I think.

Thanks Sooz- yeah, old age ain't fer sissies, eh? I'd *almost* rather another fusion, just not quite. Yet. Gimme a few more years.

I finished the small right front vase and have laid in the major colours for the last one. Please note at this point values in the vase colours are not as important as hitting the hue right- to me, it is the play of all those spectabulous rainbow colours which "makes" it clear crystal, and doing these last pieces has shown me nail the colours, and the value adjustment is easy from there. Only major highlights are laid in- these help me track where which colour shape is; the minor ones (usually those small sparks on the front of the glass) will be brushed out using a tiny watercolour brush and then set in last.

and a detail of the last vase's colour lay-in:

Thanks for the encouragement, Y'all- I appreciate it!!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2004, 03:50 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

You, m'dear, are going to be that..."you know...the famous lady that paints those gorgeous crystal vases!" You've really caught the fragileness and the colors to the nth degree and I bow to your expertise! I know you love your pitcher and flowers...but boy, nothing but these gorgeous crystal pieces picking up and throwing light would be even more awesome. The rest is superflourous (ok, sure that's spelled wrong but yanno what I mean, right?) Yep, I dub thee Julie Crystal!

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

hmmm...all that glass and those curves are so sensuous! It's coming along beautifully.

My Wet Canvas Gallery
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2004, 03:59 PM
Immortalized
Carlisle, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Have to agree with Sue, think these glass pieces are stunningly beautiful, no wonder they are selling...

Never deprive someone of hope - it may be all they have. Unknown.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2004, 04:24 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I'm gonna be an answer on Jeopardy?!? This is GREAT! I KNEW I'd get on that show somehow!

lol- Thank you, Sue- I've always said I do "things" better'n scenes or figures or (shudder) landscapes. I like detailed studies- and I am a HUGE fan of the dramatic. I've ideas for a next series already- not glass, but more shiny stuff... and edible (well, kinda)

Yeah- those echoing curves are seriously eye-catching to me, too, Judy- I'm considering a slight right-side crop to really *pop* those curves, but really like the square format with this comp, so maybe not.

Thank you, Domi- I'm hoping they ALL find good homes. Odd, but once I'm done with a piece, I'm done- now it needs to go away.

Here's the second one- I never posted it because the pic was so horrible- I took it outside, with the board set up in a porch swing and I know I wasn't level but I tried. I have both bad photo skills AND parallellax going on I think, and it looks like it is seen through a funhouse mirror. Trust me, the vases are all *upright* in the painting! Oh- and the lefthand side of the right front vase's back ellipse was caught, and fixed.

about 15" x 8" or so, I think.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2004, 04:59 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

This is breathtaking Julie - the vase laying down on it's side is smashing (not literally - )
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2004, 05:41 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England

OHHHHHHH HHHHHHHhhhhh

Ohhhhhhhhhhh ....... my mouth dropeth open ..... will say more when I can type
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2004, 06:14 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

No smashing my crystal!! I've lost enough good crystal from kids and moving hither and yon for 25 years. Had the most beautiful lead crystal Christmas ornaments- snowflakes and deer and bells- my sons decided to "play wiwth" the ornaments as toys- needless to say. I no longer have those ornaments. (However, one son has a small scar on his foot bottom where he stepped on a piece of one they'd chipped. Serves him right.)

Here 'tis, done as it will be for now anyway. I'll leave it like always and give it a glance now and again, but won't do more than straighten a line or such- it's done and the next one is clamoring in my head....

Thank you again- I'm pleased with the series thus far and hope to get two more out before I start hating crystal- lol

and a close-up:

and closer still:

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2004, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Boy I came in late on this one too. But, its kinda fun being late, I don't have to wait for all the progress, I can see you paint right before my eyes. This is a stunning painting! So crystal clear (ha ha) and amazing. Just love it.

"Be still and know that I am God" Ps. 46:10
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Baltimore, Maryland

Hails from United States

The court is in awe Lady Crystal...you are the Queen!!
I love looking at this piece...it is so fresh & every shadow & reflection is magic & demands attention!
Beautiful painting your Majesty!
Annette
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2004, 11:41 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

geez, you can't get sick of painting this awesome crystal...you'll never make Jeopardy!!! I hope you don't...it's the best glass painting I've ever seen...I mean I've seen some really amazing good stuff, but this sings with surreal color...love it!

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2004, 10:41 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Thanks, Paula- I appreciate your compliments.

We've discussed this tiara thing, Annette- they mess up my hair, you know. (Wait- does it have *real* diamonds??) Thank you- I'm pleased.

lol Sue- thank you, I just painted what was there minus the fingerprints. At least one more for now, more an abstract, then might be time to move on a bit- not to mention I've lost the sun for the next few days. That's the way it goes up here- we don't tan, we rust. Maybe you should try one of these in oilies? I've got plenty of pics of the set-up in different configurations. Plus you know how to make torchons, errrr- tortcheons, errrrrr, tortillas- you know, those paper blending thingies for narrow lines now....

(Gotta tell you, though, I'm thinking of how crystal and copper would go together....)
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2004, 10:51 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

ya, ya...what was there...NOT. We'll have no pooh-poohing of obvious talent here young lady! Hey, Have you got a set up all glass nothing else??? I actually was invited to play with wet media (gouache) and do glass. I found a nice crystal in the library, but not with color like this...I'll make a mess of it though...can you use tortillas with paint? hmmmm....copper and glass...

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2004, 11:01 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

A few, matter of fact- lemme look through 'em- send a decent-sized one to you through your mail. You gotta take it into psp, though, and up the sats to see the colour (don't use "adjust red/green/blue levels"- that lightens it too much and blows the highlights) and then clarify at about a level 1.5 or so.

Maybe I'll do a lesson on clear glass for Deborah's classroom- when winter closes in....