WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2004, 01:43 PM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States
Crystal Blue Persuasion WIP

This is the third in a series of 5 or 6 still lifes featuring crystal in the sun. The second already has a home even though it was just finished yesterday morning- it's a near abstract crop of just the vases in the sun against this same dark grey background. Funny how with different items in the set-up it's the background which seems to change hues slightly more- I figured it'd be the pieces themselves, but it's the other way 'round, more.

Only the leftside bloom of hydrangeas is even *close* to done- it will still get overall adjustment once the entire bouquet is finished. I discovered working the first pieces, "doing the clear glass" requires me to have a "clean" ground to start- not white, but not messed up with earlier layers of over-all colour lay-in- so that whole area will be last.

Oh- and Art Spectrum makes some of the cleanest, clearest purples- beautiful things. BUT! While the sticks are very light-feeling in the hand, they do not seem to play well with others on the ground itself- they stroke nicely over others, but they seem to resist being stroked over themselves by other brands- no matter how soft. Rather a disappointing quality.

22" x 22", Wallis, toned with NuPastel (a la Deborah's lesson) a burgandy-ish hue since the hues are so cool.

(This one may take some time- it is big and nit-picky at the same time. It isn't that I am "going for detail", in fact, the flowers are done quite loosely. But each of them on the lit side need to be given individual little highlights and shadows so the whole thing will match the crystal when it gets done. If that makes sense. Plus, it's so big, even my drafter's chair doesn't go high enough for me to comfortably sit and work, which means I gotta stand- which is KILLING my lumbar spine. Me and ibuprofen are gonna be really good buddies for a few days, I think).
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2004, 02:17 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
Re: Crystal Blue Persuasion WIP

Ooooohhh

Ohhhhh

Thas nice .... vely, vely nice ....... got myself a ring side seat already
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast
NM

Hails from United States

Julie, I love the blues in the flowers. I haven't tried glass yet, so will be really watching this one.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2004, 04:46 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

lol Dawn- you should try this big- it's GREAT!

Thanks, Katy- contrary to popular opinion, I ain't crazy about flowers en masse, but these seem to be working out okay. The glass is an entirely different kettle of fish, and must be carefully laid in. This one doesn't feature the refractions, though, and that's helpful.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Lord of the Arts
Iowa

Hails from United States

This is going to be a beauty. The blue you chose is very appealing. I'll be standing by watching this one develop.....Maybe I'll even have to dig out and listen to an old Tommy James 8 track tape for inspiration... Love the title... tom
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

I love what you've done so far. What are the white flowers? This is going to be very striking when completed...I'm sure!

My Wet Canvas Gallery
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2004, 06:02 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

lol Tom!! Find it, turn it on, then crank it up- but don't play it over and over- I promise you it isn't THAT great a piece of music~ Hollies were bit better at complex, psychedelic-sounding bridges. Thank you, too, blue is difficult for me to work with because it seems none are "juuuu-uuust right!" and I have to use two or three to get the hue I want. Keeps me off the streets anyway.

Thanks Judy, the white flowers are some kind of yarrow-y thing here- a weed, in otherwords. It isn't really yarrow, instead it's made up of very tiny near-carnation-like florets, but I didn't want to get that nit-picky, so just left it yarrow-like. It goes to fuzz in the fall, and turns a nasty colour if you try to dry it. Works in a fresh bouquet, though.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Julie..are you doing this from a still life or photo? Inquiring minds want to know!

My Wet Canvas Gallery
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2004, 07:12 PM
A Local Legend
Elk Grove, CA

Hails from United States

This is a masterwork in the making! WOW! I love the title, too.

"To Begin, Begin." - Wadsworth
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Baltimore, Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBabyJ
Oh- and Art Spectrum makes some of the cleanest, clearest purples- beautiful things. BUT! While the sticks are very light-feeling in the hand, they do not seem to play well with others on the ground itself- they stroke nicely over others, but they seem to resist being stroked over themselves by other brands- no matter how soft. Rather a disappointing quality.

Very interesting experience you are having with the Art Spectrum pastels...What other brands are you using that they don't seem to get along with??
Oh & the painting looks amazing already!!...I'm getting an iced mocha so I can settle in to watch your progress!
Annette
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2004, 10:00 PM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

Wow, Julie, love the blues. A winner in the making!

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2004, 10:12 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

What a great series you've got going - that white pitcher is looking amazing already - love the way the shadows fall across it. I'll be watching the glass demo too - pulling up a chair to watch -
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2004, 10:41 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Both, Judy- I have the set-up where the sun hits it in the morning, and I took refs of it before I started. I don't resize the refs, just up the sats a bit to show "true colours", and print the pic out in quarter sections on good photo paper. (My camera takes pics suitable for posters- I bumped it down one size, but they're still very big pics). I can paint from the photos and check what I've done against the set-up when the sun hits it right for that hour or two a day, and using the photos allows me to see more than a huge sparkle. Seems to work, anyway.

Thank you, Mikki- one of them just hadda have this title- now I need to download the song, eh? (not that I steal music from the web... )

Thanks, Annette. I dunno, I'm using Rembrandts, Scminckes, Great Americans, Senneliers, Unisons- a whole mix when you get right down to it. But the purple and blue from ArtSpectrum are very- hmmm- gummy? flaky?? They leave little gobs easily- and if I try to layer over them, they seem "waxy" almost. Which is really odd, cause they're so light in the hand- not as dense feeling as, say, Schminckes. Then the one green of theirs I am using is going on nice and smooth. Go figure.

Thanks, Kate, I'll probably post a few of the reference photos to the library when I get through culling them.

That's what attracted me to this one, too, Kat- those shadows. Plus I like all the echoing shapes- all those "urn curves" in the flower bunches, the vases, and the shadows themselves. And hydrangeas are always nice flowers to include in a still life.

Done for the day- hafta wait till my back unkinks some, and for daylight again- this really needs true daylight, I think.

Quick check of grayscale values- the top right white flower looks a bit light in grayscale, but not so much in colour- see how warms and cools can work in place of values?

and a detail just for fun

Oh- and in this one? The pitcher is just about life-sized- and proportionally correct.

Last edited by SweetBabyJ : 07-16-2004 at 10:45 PM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2004, 11:02 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

sheesh, I'm late to this one (thanks Tom...couldn't remember who did that song!)
Julie! Very nice, really like how you work glass and flowers, gonna be a stunner. Can you adjust the piece down on the easel so you can reach areas easier? It helps to keep the area you're working on at exact eye level so you're not craning. And keep walking away...if you move more it's not so bad plus you can check for how it looks at a distance. I'm actually adjusting to standing and working, I'm starting to hurt more sitting hunched over a piece rather than vice versa. So hopefully you'll adjust to it and advils are mother's little helpers these days. Will be watching this one...got any of those little quiche thingees to munch on meanwhile???

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2004, 12:09 AM
Lord of the Arts
Littleton, CO

Hails from United States

This is beautiful!!!

Cindy's Blog
Life beats down and crushes the soul, but art reminds you that you have one. Stella Adler