WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2004, 05:53 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia
Re: Watercolor WIP - Portrait in stages

Andy
I found a photo (will do a man also) and will get it drawn up but only have arches hot press paper I am hoping that will do, I would like to paint following in the steps you have used may I ask questions if I am unsure.
REgards Glenda
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2004, 10:42 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria

hi Glenda,

arches hot press will be perfect for that purpose, i mostly use that or, as in this case, fabriano hot pressed (satinated) ....... can u post the photo you will use as a reference? you can always ask questions!!!!

*hugs*

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanilba
Andy
I found a photo (will do a man also) and will get it drawn up but only have arches hot press paper I am hoping that will do, I would like to paint following in the steps you have used may I ask questions if I am unsure.
REgards Glenda
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria

yes, Glenda, go ahead, start drawing!!!!!

it is good to have you join me, and the other!!!!

*hugs*

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanilba
Hi Andy
I am impressed, your work is outstanding I'm going to join in and know I'll learn a lot. My first portrait (always been to chicken to try) I watched Genna's portrait come to life and was itching to get going but between family and work.
I'm going to start drawing right now.
Thank you so much
Regards Glenda
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria

a new stage here - ive been working on the eyes, using the same dark tone as in the rest of the painting. ive done something extra to the beard-area: i added 2 washes of cerulean blue there to indicate unshavedness - something i know his wife likes very much about him. i am also exagerating the dark values there, to add contrast, to make it look not so smooth as in the photo.

i always add blue washes to shaved skin in mens faces.
Attached Images

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria

next stage and eyes -

i continued on the face by painting on dry paper - the old masters technique that is normally done in oils by setting one pencil stroke next to the other - and continued working on the eyes, ive enclosed one detail shot. i left more light in the eyes than shown in the reference photo to give them more expression and let them shine more ....

*hugs*

Andy

Attached Images

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2004, 07:47 PM
London

Hails from England

Andy.....this is looking awesome, the eyes are gorgeous, am watching this very closely, this is very informative, and I am rating this thread.........
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria

Stephie,

im so glad you like this WIP!!!!! i hope you ll start one portrait, too!!! it is easier than we all think!

what does "rating" this thread mean?

cheers

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephie20
Andy.....this is looking awesome, the eyes are gorgeous, am watching this very closely, this is very informative, and I am rating this thread.........
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2004, 05:45 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United Kingdom

Those eyes are much more than a bit of watercolour paint! Wow!! How did you get that bright blue and how did you get the texture in the blue. It is brilliant.

Love the WIP, love the painting so far.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria
Smile Re: Watercolor WIP - Portrait in stages

hi Soap,

it is pure cerulean blue, just a slight wash over the iris first, the paint very diluted. then let it dry. then paint in the blue as if you were painting a star, the pubilla the middle (take a closer look at the close up, then youll see). it makes "stary" eyes, very sparkling. the outside of the pupilla is darker, also the shadow on the iris, that is caused by the upper lid .....

any more questions, just ask!!!!

*hugs*

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soap
Those eyes are much more than a bit of watercolour paint! Wow!! How did you get that bright blue and how did you get the texture in the blue. It is brilliant.

Love the WIP, love the painting so far.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria
Smile Re: Watercolor WIP - Portrait in stages

next stage, i have followed my painting stragety ... worked on the eyes, i have enclosed one close up of the face and one close up of one eye (he has actually got 2, LOL ....)

i have done some work on his eyebrows ... still the same skintone i used from the very beginning, darkened with blue ....

for those trying out what i am doing here: remember to prepare enough of this basic skintone and store in a little bottle or another container you can shut. it is better to prepare more than youll need, to be on the safe side. you need that basic skintone from the very beginning until the finish - i also always compose the color for the hair with it!!!!

i hope youre enjoying my humble efforts!!!!

*hugs*

Andy

http://www.wasserfarben.at

Attached Images

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2004, 04:52 AM
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria

friends, now here is what else i did to this portrait yesterday before going to sleep. ive added some orange where i thought it was needed, added some pure rose madder genuine to some parts. i stll left the ears out, they are a bitt tricky ..... but they will be ok ......

im off for the weekend, will post again on sunday!!!!!!! have a nice weekend you all!!!!!

*hugs*

Andy

Attached Images

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2004, 08:24 AM
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

Andy, greetings from Australia to Austria!!! I had a look at your site the other day and when I came across this thread all I could say was WOW!!!!!! Your skill with watercolour is that of a true craftsman. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread tonight.
Thankyou, from the bottom of my heart.
Your work is sheer brilliance. Masterclass indeed!!!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

Hi Andy
I am so totally in awe of your artistic talent, it is amazing to watch your portrait come to life and your step by step instruction is easy to follow and explained well. I got as far as the drawing so far and am reasonably satisfied
although I know my efforts will not be very professional I'll be happy just to achieve a learning curve. If I start off okay I'll post it in the portrait thread as a very unprofessional WIP. And this thread definately does deserve a rating.
Many thanks for your tuition
Glenda
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Immortalized
in a cozy house next to a lovely forest

Andy, I think it's wonderful that you are taking the time to do this WIP. You make it look so easy (but I know it's not)! Watercolor is not my medium, but I almost feel that I could pick up a brush and follow along. Do you do any teaching? If not, I think you'd make a great teacher!

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria

hey, greetings back to Australia!

i am sure glad you like my little WIP, im sharing what i learned through the last 2,5 years that ive been painting ...... and i love to share ...... i hope youre doing a portrait at this moment ....

cheers

Andy

ps: i hope youve signed my guestbook .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyart
Andy, greetings from Australia to Austria!!! I had a look at your site the other day and when I came across this thread all I could say was WOW!!!!!! Your skill with watercolour is that of a true craftsman. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread tonight.
Thankyou, from the bottom of my heart.
Your work is sheer brilliance. Masterclass indeed!!!