WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2004, 01:54 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria
Lightbulb Watercolor WIP - Portrait in stages

hey friends,

i was asked by some artists friends to show my watercolor portaiture as a WIP here on WC, which i am glad to do.

so if you want please join me in painting one of my commissioned portraits (for a young man, Mark, as a present for his wife). there will be a lot of skintones and remarkable eyes to paint. I will try to get the most similarity by not just painting what is there but also by abstracting the skintones and exagerating and dramatizing.

this will be a real WIP from the first sketch to the finished painting ......

as a first step i enclose the reference picture in this post, i did the shot in my studio.

it would be wonderful if you joined me!!!!

*hugs*

Andy
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2004, 02:07 AM
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria
step 1

as a first step i made the initial pencil drawing on the paper, which is a fabriano hot pressed that i prefer for my watercolor portraiture. when the drawing was done, i protected the outline of Mark with masking film, but also the highlights in his eyes.

then i started wetting the paper as the first steps in this portrait are done as glazes in wet-into-wet style.

i prepared a large amount of my basic skintone in this painting: rose madder genuine, yellow ochre and ultramarine blue. i try this mixture on different snipets of watercolor paper until it looks right. you have to have a fair amount of it because youll base all further skintones for this portrait on the basic skintone. i will be adding more blue to make it darker, or add reds for the cheeks and so on ........

i will also mix the hair tones with it to achieve harmony in the portrait.

when i am happy with my basic skin-tone, i rewet the portrait area and apply my first layer of skintone where i need the color to be leave my first hightlights. it will have a very smooth look as this is done wet-into-wet.
in later stages i will paint also on dry paper.

in this first stage i painted in the pupilla - in the next stages i will paint more darkness into the pupilla as this darkest point will be my indicator for my values in the portrait.

see you later, when i post the next step!

*hugs*

Andy
Attached Images

Last edited by AndyfromVienna : 07-06-2004 at 02:14 AM. Reason: forgot attachment
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2004, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Germany

Hails from Germany
Re: Watercolor WIP - Portrait in stages

Andy,
you are doing this wet-in-wet -- WOW. Isnt it hard to get the color right there where you want it -- when it is wet?
I am very eager to see the progress!

Rita
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2004, 07:57 AM
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria

Rita,

im just doing the very basic first glazes wet-into-wet, hardly any of it will be visible in the finished painting. it is just some kind of first layer, an "underpainting" maybe. it is also my way to get a feeling for the sheet of paper i have in front of me. for me painting is a very intimate process and im kind of "making friends" with my future painting. (maybe im a weirdo, *LOL*)

ill post next stage soon!

*hugs*

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfeUra
Andy,
you are doing this wet-in-wet -- WOW. Isnt it hard to get the color right there where you want it -- when it is wet?
I am very eager to see the progress!

Rita
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2004, 08:12 AM
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria

well, this is the next stage .... what ive been doing here: i started to indicate darker details, like the eyes, the nose, the upperlip, the shadow under his lips. this has the advantage that these lines will be (and can be) always visible through the painting process and i wont lose track of the facial details. as you know the fine pencil lines will get washed away soon so i have to replace them. furthermore this dark bits and lines are already right there where darkness belongs ......

the portrait for Mark is now surrounded by a line of maskingfilm. why?
because ill be rewetting the portrait again and again, in order to get smoothness in my skintones and by masking the outline of Mark the background will stay untouched and clean white. at this stage i dont know yet, waht ill be doing in the background, probably nothing, leave it white or just do one gentle glaze. we will see .....

the darkness is just the basic skintones with some curelean blue.

*cheers*
Attached Images

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2004, 08:46 AM
London

Hails from England

Andy.....this is looking great already.........thank you so much for doing this..... I have almost completed my very first portrait in WC, thanks to Genna's help, and thoroughly enjoyed it, so any help is gratefully received..................sorry if this sounds dumb, but in the 1st pic, is that seperate glazes built up, or are you putting deeper tones in at the same time whilst still damp (hope that makes sense).........could we possibly have some close up's of the face details as well
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2004, 09:12 AM
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria

Stephie,

very good point ....... i let the paper dry before doing these first dark details ..... here is a close up .....

*cheers*

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephie20
Andy.....this is looking great already.........thank you so much for doing this..... I have almost completed my very first portrait in WC, thanks to Genna's help, and thoroughly enjoyed it, so any help is gratefully received..................sorry if this sounds dumb, but in the 1st pic, is that seperate glazes built up, or are you putting deeper tones in at the same time whilst still damp (hope that makes sense).........could we possibly have some close up's of the face details as well
Attached Images

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2004, 10:21 AM
A Local Legend
Tupelo, Mississippi

Hails from United States

I'm gonna pull up a chair for this one. Now what did I do with my coffee...?

Peace,
AL

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2004, 10:44 AM
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria
Smile Re: Watercolor WIP - Portrait in stages

now for the next stage and a few words on my technique:

when i build up my basic values in a portrait i always do that by first carefully rewetting the area with a large, soft brush (kolinsky) and then to carefully "dip in" the darker skintones so there wont be any hard edges. the whole process is very sensitive, i try not to touch any area twice as i might accidentally lift off paint from the former stage. (the darker paint should not be too diluted) if it does happen at this stage (lift off), i dont panic at all because im sure it will be covered within the next steps. for this stage posted here i have also already begun to add some darkness to the left side of the face (cheek) by setting one very fine stroke next to the other, similar to what the "old masters" did in their portraits (in oils). im sorry that i dont know the english word for this, maybe someone can help?

i think ill also start working on the eyes soon, because they are a fine indicator for the rest of the values in the face!

thanks for watching this WIP! it is very exciting for me, i just hope this one will succeed, if not it will also be something to learn from i hope ....

*hugs*

Andy
Attached Images

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

This is a real "Masterclass" Andy thanks.

Doug
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria
Smile Re: Watercolor WIP - Portrait in stages

for this stage ive done some work on the eyes - i like to work on the eyes in a portrait at a rather early stage because i think that the most similarity lies in them, and they are a good indicator for be it values or ressemblance (correct spelling?)

ive protected the highlights in his eyes and on his lips with masking film not to destroy them, have then added some skintones, that i mixed some with rosemadder genuine, tho the lips and some further darkness to the upper lip.

on the forehead ive continued my wet-into-wet technique and have incicated where his hair will be at the sides of his head. to get harmony ive so far just used my general skintones, darker or lighter, or with rosemadder on the cheeks and lips. the blue in his eyes is cerulean blue, in the darker bits ive darkened it with orange.

i hope you enjoy it!!!!

*hugs*

Andy
Attached Images

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Vienna, Austria

Hails from Austria

hey Doug,

thank you so much for "masterclass", i feel really flattered .... im also "just" growing and learning by doing my own mistakes .... this is what ive experienced and learned so far .....

*cheers*

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky
This is a real "Masterclass" Andy thanks.

Doug
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2004, 09:41 PM
A WC! Legend
Ontario, West of Toronto

Hails from Canada

I just saw this, Thank you Andy!!! Will keep watching!!!
Uschi

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2004, 12:56 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada

I am enjoying watching this young man "come to life" Andy. I will keep watching, you are doing a wonderful job!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2004, 05:36 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

Hi Andy
I am impressed, your work is outstanding I'm going to join in and know I'll learn a lot. My first portrait (always been to chicken to try) I watched Genna's portrait come to life and was itching to get going but between family and work.
I'm going to start drawing right now.
Thank you so much
Regards Glenda