WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2004, 09:05 AM

Hails from United States
Painting&Drawing from life...Props of the face.

Attached is a live demo at a high-end shopping mall.Drawing &Painting from life,to the Artist.......can be a scary thing!Not just for Artists at low-levels,Artists at ALL levels perspire a little at the thought!------this need not be so.One of the problems artists have is WIDTH of the face.Douglas Graves(and many other Artists)-rely on the 4-basic head shapes to help determine this.(you know 'em...oval, square, circular&tri-angular.)--they then TAPER w/in these shapes to determine width.This to me, is valid...but a trifle harder to do, than the way i do it.And besides width, Artists have trouble all around on this prospect of drawing and painting from life.And many "uppidity"artists that join some web-sites devoted to life drawing, think they are superior , or something, just 'cause they can work from life.(Dont let 'em fool 'ya!...they are scared too!--just like you.)What makes it scary? Well, if you are working a commision, and you are doing a live sitting,.....usually the subject will want a peek at the end of the session!Now, you can talk your way out of a ruined piece by saying something like..."ERrr,...well, this is just a colour study!, i will finish it up back at my "studio!" " --And so on.Now if enough people want me to do a treatment on the subject.......I will.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
California

Hails from United States
Re: Painting&Drawing from life...Props of the face.

This sounds interesting! Please do post your tips. I love to see how artists get started on the head--and boy, I hate it when people look over my shoulder in the "ugly stage", so I know what you mean about pressure in public!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2004, 02:59 PM
Immortalized
in a cozy house next to a lovely forest

I'd like to see this too, Terry!

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2004, 09:36 PM

Hails from United States

Hello all!, I think many people will like this one.I will do it then madam Manga, and eileen.I am gonna have to be thorough on this though.So please be patient, as i am going to create special visuals, and drawings......especially created for this thread!Also, i am going to have to organize the data so that people will understand easily.this to me, is what is lacking in the teaching of painting&drawing from life--as a whole.they make it too darn hard!(And confusing.)Some of the techniques were taught to me by my Art instructor many years ago, as a teen-ager.And since then, I studied two courses, And upteenth art books(My art library has many rare, out of print books.)......and in all that, i still have not seen my instructor's techniques written about.Some of the techniques....i invented.So then, I am going to show the techniques i came up with and use, My instructor's techniques, and the very best of art knowledge that is out there.This knowledge combined, will give the typical artist with some ability(Most artists at wc, have this ability--in my observations)----the edge, and practical techniques in getting a likeness from life.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2004, 09:43 AM

Hails from United States

If you dont give the face it's "PROPS" (Proportions)--It's most likely gonna reward your lack of "respect", by not giving you a likeness!,So give the face it's props! (the example attached, is a degas)
Attached Images

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2004, 10:01 AM

Hails from United States

INTRODUCTION: This treatment is focused on the complex art of Portraiture from life.I am assuming if you are reading this, you are: An artist.Have an INTEREST(Most important aspect.)-in Drawing, or Painting a Portrait from life.And have some general ability in this regard.If these aforementioned aspects describe you, then this treatment will help you tremendously....if you take it seriously.Drawing and painting are considered ONE here.Meaning, I believe in achieving A STRONG FOUNDATIONAL LIKENESS before finishing it , in whatever medium you desire.(Oils,pastels, -or just drawing.)Getting the foundation is the most important thing you must focus on.To those brave souls, that do this,AND THEN LOSE THAT LIKENESS, by totally obliterating it.......you need to stop this madness!It is my belief that you need to move "heaven,and hell", rather than lose that likeness!(your fee depends on it.)The methods i will go through here, are in my opinion, sound , work for me,and will work for you, if you work them.My advice to you, is to read this thread OFTEN, take notes(&drawings), until this knowledge is in your head.THEN, do what i will recommend at the end of this thread.
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2004, 10:39 AM

Hails from United States

CROSS-HAIR CONCEPT METRICS, to Painting&drawing a Portrait from life.The word concept, means that these are rules that you need in your head.I am aware that many artists use calipers, and the like.However, if you want to QUICKLY capture likenesses, and like working in a rapid manner, PLUS want confidence in your facility, then this knowledge is paramount.These techniques give you a fundamental method for getting the over-all shape of the head&LOCATING the FEATURES. The shape of the head, and the exact size and location of features WILL VARY WITH EACH INDIVIDUAL, .....HOWEVER, --These principles of construction and props, are vital in order to:LOCATE,...NOTICE-repeat-NOTICE, and MARK--the DEVIATIONS FROM THE NORM(Get the likeness.)--W/out them, you are groping in the dark.you MIGHT, get a likeness.......might not.By using them, you are "stacking the deck in your favor"---Giving yourself the edge.Learn these SIMPLE shapes, and props, They will give you the basic, VITAL foundation of knowledge for Drawing&painting a likeness from life, and the head in ANY POSITION.(The Portraitist, needs to be able to draw&paint the head in ANY position.)---THE VISUAL, IS ---METRIC VISUAL 1
Attached Images

Last edited by TerryhLee : 04-25-2004 at 11:11 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2004, 10:46 AM

Hails from United States

METRIC VISUAL TWO
Attached Images

Last edited by TerryhLee : 04-25-2004 at 11:10 AM. Reason: title
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2004, 11:08 AM

Hails from United States

Now then, to begin-i will go over the first visual word for word, in case your screen does not show the words big enough, and to clarify as we go along.The cross-hair concept metrics box, has a drawing of a "gun-sight: "type graphic.WITH A LITTLE ROUND DOT--REPEAT-DOT, in the middle.This is not by accident.we will come back to that later on.the box to the left, has this written:"3-equalmetrics.Look at subject to see if their face matches the equal guidline metrics.NOTE AND MARK DEVIATIONS.Control mechanism--adjust metric of line and eybrows...NOT, I&Iv(1&4)--marks.Why?, because as the artist, YOU need to control how big, or small the face will be on your substrate.In-between the box to the right&left, it says:"OBSERVE THE HEAD AS A SOLID-REPEAT-SOLID,FORM.......THE MOST COMMON FORM IS,------EGG-SHAPED(OVAL.)Note that on Metric visual one, and two, the heads are NUMBERED.1THRU 5.I mean for you to use this knowledge in your own working manner, but for those who like a structured approach, and for logic's sake, i have organised the example heads in a logical work sequence.Also, the examples are-FRONT VIEW, PROFILE, AND 3-QUARTER VIEW.But the knowledge (Once learned)--will allow you to paint-n-draw, the head in any position.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2004, 11:26 AM

Hails from United States

METRIC-VISUAL 3---Dont worry, we will be coming back to the visuals, re-peatily, to aid in understanding.The visuals, are:3-rd eye-concept, Hand-compass technique,curves,and Eye-hinge method.
Attached Images

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2004, 11:30 AM

Hails from United States

well, as you can probably sense....you are in for some unique stuff here!Right now, i have to go take care of some important work(I am a working artist.)---I will be back later on to continue! --terry
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2004, 04:25 PM

Hails from United States

By the way, the colour codes are , GREEN(as in "greenhorn"!)BLUE(intermediate) RED(Advanced, also denotes something of importance.), However these colour codes are ordered to aid in learning, But ALL need to be learned, And GREEN, is just as important as RED.Once you become comfortable with all colours....consider yourself a "blackbelt" in the art of free-hand , likeness capturing.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2004, 05:23 PM

Hails from United States

Do you ever read a book on painting,or drawing from life....and have an UN-SATISFIED feeling?I noticed another thread mentioned John howard sanden's book.I saw this book in the bookstore.If you read this book......its missing somp'm!, what its missing ,....Is what i am giving you FREE.Some of this is what sanden teaches his PRIVATE STUDENTS.However, This art knowledge is outthere in general, (like some chess knowledge.)But its usually taught in advanced Art courses, and the like.(And in sanden's case, private students--for HIGH FEES.)i TELL YOU THIS, SO YOU WILL appreciate the value of what you are getting here.Just because I am giving you this free, does'nt mean it has no value, it just means you are lucky!Like I said earlier, i am going to give you the BEST art knowledge, PLUS, what you wont find ANYWHERE ELSE.Once your eyes are open to this knowledge, AND THEN you go to the book store and look in sanden's book.......YOU WILL SEE WHATS GOING ON IN HIS MIND, when he is doing his demos.BUT ALWAYS REMEMBER, that he didnt show it to you.Or mention it at all!(He HIDES it.)Indeed, Most every pro hides stuff like this.Reason?---whats always the reason........money.More money on advanced videos, and books....from YOU!But as i said, Even if you took private lessons, Some things THEY DONT EVEN KNOW!, (Thats why some of 'em are still scared when they do a live demo.)
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2004, 05:47 PM

Hails from United States

By the way, he works with calipers for width of the face, Thats not what you are learning here.(Although if you need them, thats fine!)----lets get started,In this first example from Metric visual 1, (This is a close up.)--We see an EGG(OVAL) shape.This is the geometric figure, that you generally start any head .why?, because ITS THE MOST COMMON SHAPE, statistically.Also, because the SKULL, AND LOWER FACE, of everyone....has this basic shape.This is a front view.All you do, Is draw a LIGHT line, for the egg shape.Divide that oval in half with a vertical line.(Right up the middle.)This is also known as the central axis of the face.And it's very important.Next, draw a horizontal line HALF-WAY down .(We will come back to the dot in the center cross-hairs later!)
Attached Images

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2004, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast
Massachusetts

Hails from United Kingdom

This is wonderful stuff, but I'm finding it confusing - maybe if I print it out and study it, all will become clear.

thank you