WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2004, 04:16 AM
Lord of the Arts
Portland, Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: Summer Day portrait commission WIP

Monique, I love how you have rendered this portrait. It reminds me of an antique postcard.

Art is not what you see,
but what you make others see.
-Edgar Degas
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2004, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast
Mobile, Alabama

Hails from United States

I think I'm ready for the background.....wish me luck! I'm holding my breath!

Monique
Attached Images

#63   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2004, 12:39 PM
A Local Legend
New Hampshire

Hails from United States

Good luck! And I hope you don't turn blue!
-Les

#64   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2004, 01:49 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

are you going to try the masking??? I'm not worried and neither should you be, you've done an awesome job so far!

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2004, 02:05 PM
Enthusiast
Mobile, Alabama

Hails from United States
Arrow Re: Summer Day portrait commission WIP

I'm at a very crucial point....I masked the whole painting out, then washed the background in, very wet on wet....not my forte.....I have to let it dry thoroughly before I drybrush some very focused blades of grass right along the line of their feet...there is a horizontal focus point there. I'm going to try it, anyway. Keep in mind, the whole image, except the background, of course, is masked out...so paint is puddled here and there along the edges...hopefully there will be no problems lifting it off, very gently. I truly hope the vibrant colors underneath keep their vibrancy. I will croak if they don't! I'll have to go back and deepen shades here and there. Hope all goes well with it. PLEASE let me have some critiques on this....the client opted to take all of the background clutter out...the car, the street, the sidewalk, and wanted it to look like they are just in a pretty backyard. Did I accomplish that so far? I know its hard to really make it out with masking on it, but when it comes off, I'm hoping the kids will really pop!

Sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for comments on this stage. This part is the scariest of the whole painting to me.

Monique
Attached Images

#66   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Enthusiast
Mobile, Alabama

Hails from United States

Ok, well, masking is off, grass drybrushed in....I have to soften the lines around where the masking came off and intensify some places here and there to make the faces and bodies now have the same values as the deep backgrounds...right?

Monique
Attached Images

#67   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Immortalized
New York

Hails from United States

Monique, this is good beyond my ability to tell you so. I think you've done such a wonderful job!

I'm a little worried about matching the values of the children with the values of the background. right now they stand apart from the bkrnd. Be careful that you don't loose them.

You might try playing around with a little paint on a test canvas. to see where you want to be with the values.

Lovely, lovely, lovely! _Joel

#68   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2004, 07:29 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

durn, sorry wasn't here to comment earlier! The background is great. You'll have to work a couple places like the little girl's hair to lose the pasted on effect, but have no doubt that'll be a piece of cake for you! Yeah, you may want to subdue the light tones of the flowers and back bushes to make the kids stay the focal point but this is an awesome job!!! Did the masking come off easily??? Have to say it again...awesome!!!

#69   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2004, 08:28 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United Kingdom

Monique, I am in awe.......if you'd be exhibiting anywhere near me I'd definitely would want to look and be seriously tempted to buy! This is just gorgeous. It's beyond commission work as this is lovely for anybody to look at.

One nitpick: not so sure about the colours of the flowers in the background. Why that fuchsia?

Stunned...amazed.....full of admiration.....you need to teach, to exhibit, at least have a website!
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2004, 10:57 PM
Enthusiast
Mobile, Alabama

Hails from United States

VOILA!! I'm done. Tweaked out....adjusted a foot, added fringed hair so as not to look pasted on...knew that was coming up....softened outlines of bodies...other minor changes here and there.

As far as the fuschia in the background...we are from Alabama, where Azalea bushes are in every square inch of every yard. This is the exact color of an azalea. This picture was taken in front of an azalea bush with a few blooms, and I added some to it.

Client saw the picture today and FLIPPED!!! Teared up and can't wait until I release it to her Monday. I want to perfect my photo of it for my portfolio. She LOVED the background and the boots and loved the era it captured as this was taken four years ago. (((hugs))) to everyone and their support on this project. I will try to go back in the thread and address any questions I failed to answer in my rush to complete this painting! This is the best and most supportive message board I have EVER participated in. Truly.

Monique
Attached Images

Last edited by ArtsyMom x3 : 01-21-2004 at 11:00 PM.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2004, 11:28 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Well, you certainly kept us on the edges of our seats with this...it's just plain gorgeous...bet you get more commissions from this too...think it came out great, it's important to tie a piece to a time and place like this and you did an admirable job...5 gold stars for you!!!! Thanks for sharing....and they look perfect, not cut out at all.

#72   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Enthusiast
Mobile, Alabama

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyin
Well, you certainly kept us on the edges of our seats with this...it's just plain gorgeous...bet you get more commissions from this too...think it came out great, it's important to tie a piece to a time and place like this and you did an admirable job...5 gold stars for you!!!! Thanks for sharing....and they look perfect, not cut out at all.

Thanks SO much!! Yes, I have indeed gotten a few more. Meeting on Friday for one of three boys on at least a full sheet, full size...and another after that of three girls, full body...three more were asked of me, today alone!!

It's a little overwhelming, though....can't do a lot of quick deadlines...hope folks are patient!

Thanks again!!
Monique
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2004, 11:35 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Hey, they want YOUR services...so you be nice but firm about times. Enjoy it...we all dream of the day we'll be in demand. They will get their money's worth and then some...so they'll just have to be patient! Hope you'll share some more with us...we all enjoyed it I'm sure!

#74   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2004, 11:42 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Hi Monique, This is wonderful! You are an inspiration to me! Good luck with future endeavors and I'll be watching for you here and who know's where in the future!

Joanne
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2004, 12:10 AM
Immortalized
New York

Hails from United States

...aaaaaaaaannnnnd curtain! bravo! encore! encore! *the crowd refuses to leave the theatre*

_Joel