WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2001, 06:21 PM
A WC! Legend
the sunshine coast

Hails from United Kingdom
Portrait Demonstration: Ruth in Pastels

I'm delighted that the step-by-step demo of my portrait of Ruth has been published. If I can answer any questions, please let me know.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's the link:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles/Sa...128/index.html

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2001, 06:39 PM
A Local Legend
USA, GA

Hails from United States
Great article, Sandra. You have inspired me to try. Thanks so much!!!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2001, 09:12 PM
A Local Legend
"Fraggle Rock" Virginia

Hails from United States
Congratulations Sandra

I enjoyed your article. Very informative.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2001, 09:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Aotearoa NZ

Thanks for the step-by-step demonstration Sandra - very helpful, with a lovely end result.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2001, 09:58 PM
Southern California

Hails from United States
Splendid, useful posting!

I was very interested to hear about particulars of pastels, because this is a medium I have not really used. But I was especially impressed with the medium-transcending Basic Principles/Techniques explanations.

I hope we see more of these on Wet Canvass!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2001, 12:06 AM
A Local Legend
Scottsdale, AZ USA (do I get a flag?)

Hails from United States
WOW!

You really do your homework.
I found it sort of inspiring and empowering. You are a hotshot and your techniques are very simple and it is great that you show how you use your computer to solve the tough stuff!
I am still floundering in how to produce...as in make it a living and a job, not a mystery or magic, and looking at how NON magical it is, that we run in the same track makes me feel more confident.
It is a great view of your style.
I would love to see how you approach your landscapes, since that is your prize winning skill!
Very grateful that you took the time.
your fan
dj*
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2001, 11:25 AM
West Palm Beach area, FL

Hails from United States

Dear Sandra,
What an incredible portrait! You made it look so easy, which I think is one of the trademarks of a great artist. I have printed out all the steps to save for future reference. Wish you could just hop over to Denver,CO and do a workshop. I, too, would love to see a landscape demo.
Thanks so very much for this wonderful demo.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2001, 10:03 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Smile

Loved your demo and how the portrait turned out, Sandra. I did mine last night while watching Law and Order reruns. I have no clue if it even resembles her, because the photo my printer was capable of producing from the image was pretty bad. But anyway, I put it in the Projects and will post it in Portraiture as that's where I found out about it -thanks again to you.
Nora
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2001, 11:54 PM
A WC! Legend
the sunshine coast

Thank you all so much for your comments. I'm glad you found it useful.

Is no one going to say that tracing it from a computer print out is cheating?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2001, 01:04 AM
Southern California

Hails from United States
Sorry to disappoint you :P

Is a mahl stick cheating? Or buying paints and mediums?

How about a camera obscura, a ancient visual aid comparable to a projector (but without much zoom control)? or studying perspective and proportion and color theory?

How about using a grid? I think the Egyptians used those, and I doubt they were the first...

The Renaissance was Art and Science together, NOT coincidentally... Today some study the chemistry of mediums and paints and grounds - and I am terribly glad they do but I rarely do more than try to benefit from their discoveries. Am I cheating?

To see some detailed history and discussion of tracing and visual aids (ancient and new) in art, check out http://208.56.97.244/forum/Ultimate.cgi
Some of the opinions are strongly expressed, sometimes designed for shock value, and pretensious and/or annoying - but it's still an interesting site. Note: I do not vouch for accuracy of statements represented as fact there; I am not an art historian.

I do like some of the comments made there, that art is not a contest, that no optical aid MAKES the art, that guilt can be an amusing distraction, and that maybe the only cheating in art is plagerism i.e. saying you made a piece when somebody else did.

Last edited by Maria Gusta : 07-25-2001 at 01:09 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2001, 04:04 AM
A WC! Legend
the sunshine coast

Thank you very much, Maria Gusta!

I was, BTW, quite prepared to argue my case but I see there is no need.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2001, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Salt Lake City, Utah

Hails from United States
Thumbs up

Hi Sandra,
This is my first post on wetcanvas! I had to comment on 'is tracing cheating'? First let me say that your demo is great. I am an artist in the early stages of marketing and one of the things I wanted to do is portraiture. I began a year ago trying to do portraits (my medium is watercolor) and had no trouble with the drawing and likeness. However, when I went to paint it, I lost it all and the painting went from a very good drawing to a very bad painting. Over the past year I have worked very hard to get the painting end up to a sellable quality. Now that I am at a presentable stage, I find that the time it takes to draw the subject and get a good likeness is very time consuming. I work a full time day job and my art time is limited. I have used my computer to get the desired size and then trace it onto my paper. The trace basically gives you the right proportions, and then I draw in the finer details. Once you have the image down, what you do with it after that requires talent and ability to pull off a good portrait.

When looking at this from a business point of view, I found that in order to make the most of my 'producing' time this tool of tracing is wonderful. It enables me to produce more, and since the reason I want to do portraiture is to make money... well, you see my point there.

Thanks for a great demo, and bringing up this discussion.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2001, 07:42 PM
Enthusiast
Cary, NC

Hails from United States
Sandra,

Just read your demo and really enjoyed it! Even though you worked from the photo you did a nice job capturing the character; interpreting, and building the colors in a dynamic way. Beautifully rendered.

Thank you!

D.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2001, 08:37 PM
A WC! Legend
the sunshine coast

Thanks CathyD for your support.

Photoshop is a lot of money but is probably my most used piece of art equipment. It enables me to work through ideas much more quickly - and to try out things I probably wouldn't have considered. And when it all goes horribly wrong - there is the undo button.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2001, 08:39 PM
A WC! Legend
the sunshine coast

Thank you, Diane. Glad you enjoyed it.