Home Forums The Town Center Welcome Forum! New painter very excited about this amazing new passion

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hello, my name is Matt, I just started painting a couple months ago, and it’s quickly become my passion. There are just so many styles, techniques, subjects, colors, compositions, and on and on and on. It can sometimes be overwhelming, I go to learn one thing online and end up branching out to an impressionist page here, and impasto demo there; pretty soon I forget what I was originally looking for(kind of how I ended up here). I’m hoping I’ll be able to find some easy to follow, but quality demonstrations and information on WetCanvas. I’m already a little unsure of myself in terms of navigating this site. I don’t know much about forums, or threads, or if it was appropriate for me to start this thread for instance??? But I see this sight come up in my searches a lot. And it seems like there’s some really wonderful resources, I’m just not really clear about how to traverse through it all. I’m on my phone, I don’t know if that’s making it harder for me or not. At any rate, I love art and painting, mainly in acrylic for now, because I don’t have a lot of money or a good space for working with all the clean up or whatnot. But I love the consistency and richness of oil. So I’ve been working with acrylic and acrylic mediums. So far I love liquidex light modeling paste, and golden heavy gel gloss medium, the way it makes the paint glide across the surface, so awesome. And I have about a million questions, so any suggestions are welcome. All advice is welcome(as long as it’s not mean). Thanks for reading, hope to hear from you! -Matt:wave:

Greggo

Welcome to the WC Welcome Forum!

This is the place to introduce yourself and for us to pass on to you some tips.

There are lots of fine folks here, you can meet many of them as you browse about while exploring the full list of the forums. We are looking forward to seeing your art, and getting to know you!

There are all levels of artists, from many lands, working in virtually all mediums. Newcomers to Art are especially welcome. Be sure to visit the Drawing and Color Theory Forums.

Sharing, learning and teaching others is the best way to fan the creative flames.
        The friendly members here will try to help you with any questions you have.

Be sure to review the guidelines for commercial uses,
        Read about the use of images in the Reference Library.
        Links to additional information contained in my signature line below.

(The Abstract & Contemporary Forum is where I am usually found.)

Greggo

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

Jon

Glad to have you with us, Matt.
            Enjoy exploring the site at your leisure.
            Let us know if you have any questions.
            FYI
            * You can access any Forum by using the “Forum Jump” located at the bottom right of the screen or the Channels drop down menu at the upper left
            * Moderators and Guides have links in their Signature lines to address FAQ’s
            * There are “Stickys’’ (permanent threads that “stick” at the top of all thread listings) that are full of helpful information.
            **You can use Google Advanced Search to help you locate topics of interest on WC by simply entering WetCanvas in the blank asking for a domain name
            * You must have two written posts prior to being able to upload an image

Hi, it’s nice to meet you. I find when I’m using my phone it’s easiest to navigate from the index page and then just click on whatever forum you’re interested in and all the threads in that forum will come up and you go read or post in them at your leisure.

You might want to check out the Member FAQ’s for help navigating the forums and for how to’s on inserting images and such. Let us know if you need any help. :)

Welcome to WetCanvas!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
            Find me on Instagram
            Find me on Facebook

Hi Matt … welcome.

This format is entirely new so I hope I can make my comment successfully. Anyway, I would suggest that you consider spending a little time learning to draw. Drawing is at the heart of all art and time spent developing that skill will be time spent well. In particular I am thinking about values which are critical in all mediums but they are easier to grasp and learn using only shades of gray before adding the complications of color. We have a free classroom. All classes are free but your submissions will be viewed by an experienced artist who will make suggestions or answer any questions you might have – it’s close to getting a private lesson. In any case, I think you will discover that honing your drawing skills will reap major benefits as you investigate other mediums.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.