WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2020, 04:46 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Welcome to What's on Your Easel ... February 2020

Welcome to WOYE February 2020...Post your works in progress here so long as they are in oils...everyone is welcome!!!

For a more complete critique post in the main forum!

“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2020, 11:32 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Re: Welcome to What's on Your Easel ... February 2020

more from my new series 'unfinished story'...both 16x12 inches, final efforts on the fifth and the sixth from tonight...

Name:  5th final resize.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  163.9 KB

Name:  6th resize.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  165.7 KB
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2020, 06:45 PM
Immortalized
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

These are the perfect balance of expression, detail, and economy of stroke to me. Great work Becca!

Delofasht
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2020, 08:59 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Delo, thank you so much for saying!...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 09:54 PM

The paint was finally dry enough to start fine tuning the skin colors and features. I'm not spending as much time on this one blending/smoothing the colors, so it looks good about 8ft away but up close it looks like a mess..not sure if I like it this way or not but if I don't I can smooth/blend the colors out later.

Kevin

Kevin Slaby
2002 Mustang - 902hp
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2020, 01:58 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Kevin, everyone needs to find a technique that appeals most to them...do what you feel is best for you.

and, number 7 of my series, larger this time, 24x18 inches, Oil on clear gessoed linen...as you know...the photo isn't perfect with the colours and values, but best I can do for now...

Name:  brighter day resize.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  159.1 KB
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
Kevin, everyone needs to find a technique that appeals most to them...do what you feel is best for you.

Thanks a lot Becca, I'll see what I feel the image requires.

A buddy and I analyze paintings and one question we bring up is: If a painting is copied from a photo and looks like a photo after painting - why not just print the photograph?

With this question in my head I'm trying to figure out what features of the painting should/can be more impressionistic.

I have my opinion on this answer (and of course the answer will change depending on the photo I'm referencing) but I will experiment until I reach the finish line with this one.

ks

Kevin Slaby
2002 Mustang - 902hp
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2020, 04:22 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Excellent Kevin..I ponder the same as I work from my photos as well...and find it extra challenging when the photos are esp good .. and try to determine what can be better about it in oils...

Looking forward to seeing what you do.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2020, 09:52 PM

I got part of the corset jeweled then started glazing color in the face. The face is beginning to have some softness and dimension to it now and for now the face is done. Once I get the hair done I'll go back over the face adding shadows and fine tuning the color a bit.

I'm still pondering how I'm going to finish the corset and the netting pattern on the sleeves.

Kevin

Kevin Slaby
2002 Mustang - 902hp
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2020, 11:00 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2020, 09:06 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

worked last night at getting good images for this past group for this series....here are the first 6 and the most recent...hope you can see the colour is muted and contrast subtle in some cases....mostly tried to portray various lighting as one might see in a 24 hour time frame...

Name:  group photo resize.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  213.3 KB

Name:  brighter day image correction resize.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  124.8 KB
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
worked last night at getting good images for this past group for this series....here are the first 6 and the most recent...hope you can see the colour is muted and contrast subtle in some cases....mostly tried to portray various lighting as one might see in a 24 hour time frame...

Attachment 870975

Attachment 870976

Wow, Great Job!
I love the lighting contrasts you created between them!

ks

Kevin Slaby
2002 Mustang - 902hp
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2020, 10:17 PM

I finished the chain-male on her corset and it looks great. I tried a lot of different ideas to easily make the ringlets without having to paint each one but all my attempts failed. So I bucked up and made each ringlet and it actually was quick and easy only taking about 30 minutes to complete it...well worth the effort!

She also has the starting of her hair. It actually doesn't need much more work but it does need some highlights so gotta wait for the paint to dry. Then the hairline needs shadows, fine tune the skin color on her face, hand needs finished, blah, blah, blah.. Maybe it will be done this weekend.

ks

Kevin Slaby
2002 Mustang - 902hp
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2020, 02:17 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thank you Kevin....You are making good progress too...glad you went to the effort for the detail...with your style work think you just need to...is looking great.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2020, 04:51 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

here is number 8, and I believe the last of this group...24x18 inches

Name:  number 8 resize.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  156.3 KB
Becca's Fine Art my blog