WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2020, 04:51 PM

Hails from Spain
Talking Re: Scavenger Hunt #618 - Jan 16-24

Hello everybody
In case the Ghost of Christmas Past was wondering about my fate, I was just being busy with life for a few days

Sorry about that . I swear I am not drunk.

Joe, Si, yo como manzanas y también bebo agua. (Yes, I eat apples and I drink water too.)
Thank you very much for the list, I spent a minute looking for something hidden, no success. I should have read the introduction before.
Beautiful tree!

Ai, love the junk yard and nice statue too!

Ned, beautiful landscape, nice shelf and lovely turtles. Please, post the sketch of the chair with the socks and shoes, there is no need for embarrassment and it sounds like fun . And I agree with the others about your narrative, I enjoy it.

Jo, what a nice mess! Isn't that KarmArt's sketch in front of the phone? Nice tree too.

EP, beautiful set of sketches, love them. And the toned paper goes very nicely with the colors you used (or viceversa). Very pleasant to my eyes, including the not so plum vertical lines . Joe's message was "Do you eat apples? I drink water."

Joan T, I am glad to read in your blog that there is a little bit of progress. Patience and strength to both of you, little by little. Keeping you and Jerry in my prayers.

Last edited by individuo : 01-20-2020 at 05:12 PM.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2020, 05:52 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #618 - Jan 16-24

Thanks, all y'all.

EP, the chair is so solid and heavy looking. Nice. I like the choice for glass and shelf. The lamp is looking good, too.

individuo, that is KarmArt's sketch. Good find! She has been job hunting and just went to work I think. She has lots going on. I will check with her to see if she can host the Hunt in a couple of weeks. I miss sketching with her.

Joe, you will be refreshing my Spanish. Gracias.

I sketched in the big book with the Lamy ink pen. The tree sketch had leaked through but I went ahead with the new sketch. Sort of dark now.

Number 4 door/doorway (pocket doors)
Number 5, sink

Winston Churchill
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2020, 08:12 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Hi all! I miss doing sketching for the hunts, but life has sort of put things on hold. I do have an update. Jerry was discharged from the hospital to a rehab facility today. Lots of work ahead of him, but it is a step in the right direction. Thanks for all your support.

Ai, I love that junk sketch!!

NedL, your sketch is really nice. I think you need to stop worrying about creating a masterpiece and just sketch. Enjoy yourself, use artistic license and just create!

I am printing out the list. You never know what I will find while hanging around at the rehab facility. I have been doing sketches at his bedside (mostly in semi-darkness) for a project that a friend is doing for the troops overseas. I am working mostly from photos for it, so they won't fit here. Hope to see you all soon.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2020, 08:17 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Jo, your mess is fun to see and sketch I'll bet. Nice tree too. I like that little sink tucked into that spot.

Joe, nice treatment of the bark on the tree!

Ned, the story to go with the turtle sketch really made me smile. It is so typical of what happens when you are sketching from life.

EP, I like the way your sketches go together to tell a story. Nicely done!
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2020, 09:09 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Best hopes to Jerry and to Joan, I can see you have good friends here.

Thank you for good advice!

Jo - a "script" is a like a little computer program. With this one, I type "WCV" ( for "wet canvas"! ) and it takes the photos from my camera and makes them 700 pixels wide for me. I'm a kind of dinosaur, I don't own a smart phone. I spend my days programming and working with computers, so my hobbies need to be different: learning how to sketch is perfect for me that way.

EP I like the toned paper sketches and I don't think I'd like the shelf as much if the lines were vertical, seriously

On photography forums, some people don't like too many words with the pictures, that the words somehow detract or distract from the photo which is supposed to stand on its own. I don't agree with that, but I wasn't sure on an art forum like WC if it might be like that too. Also I type fast so I can fill a page with words in no time at all...

OK, I think this will be numbers #4 shoe #5 clothes (socks) and #6 chair. It's the one I didn't want to post because it didn't go well ....

This has happened to me a few times now... I'll be sketching and then hit a place where the proportions are wrong... and then I can't see what I'm doing any more because what's on my paper isn't what I'm seeing in front of me.

In this one, the shoe in front was going fine ( I wasn't thinking, was seeing shapes and negative space, and was just drawing ... )... but then there was space on the paper between the two shoes that wasn't there "for real". And then I couldn't get going again, got a little frustrated because I was stuck, and decided I needed to be done so scribbled in the back of the chair and put it down. That sounds worse than I mean: I didn't get upset or anything like that.. I just got stuck and couldn't keep going. You can see that I had very rough pencil lines, the "blob" I drew for the 2 shoes was about right, but didn't have them separated. I'm almost sure that if I'd spent another minute or two looking at the shoes before I started drawing, it wouldn't have happened.

Oh wait! Something good happened during that drawing. When I was drawing the socks ( what I started with ) I didn't think it was going well, but I just kept trying to draw what I was seeing and then when I looked at the end I couldn't believe how much it was like the socks! That was cool! Like you couldn't tell during any part of the drawing it was going to add up to the whole, but it did

Today I drove to a spot about 5 minutes from home where I could park. We live in a rural area and most roads have no shoulder, just ditches along the edge, so there are not many places where you can park off the road. This might be a good place to go back to several times, I think. I never really calmed down and got into that "right brain" zone during this... but here it is.

#7 from the car

and a quick digi-snap:

Last edited by NedL : 01-20-2020 at 09:27 PM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2020, 08:54 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Buenos Dias!

Joan - glad to hear Jerry is making progress. You are both on our prayer list.

Ep - my verticals are rarely plum unless I use a straight edge. Individuo already translated Do you eat apples? I drink water." The lesson was on the verbs to eat (como) and to drink (bebo).

Jo - looked again after your comment to find the tree. I thought you sketched that in to darken it.

Ned - Our results are not all works of art. The intent is to have fun and practice. Some pieces turnout well, some not so well. Some half and half. Key is to have fun. Plus you have those ‘aha’ moments like you did with the socks. Your landscape is very good btw.

Individuo - There is no need to say ‘lo siento’. Life happens. We all have times when we seem to disappear or drift away for a hunt.
(I did not think I would be able to use any words from today’s lessons and you opened a door. &#128514 I am trying to figure out the difference in use for perdón and disculpe? Lesson uses both for ‘excuse me’

Hope to sketch today but going for a very belated flu shot.

Keep sketching
Joe
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2020, 10:49 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

NedL

That happens to me al the time. I start drawing before I get a good look and plan. Your sketches are really good and coming right along. The script sounds like an easy way to handle photos. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements on my computer. I prefer the computer to iPhone and iPad for typing. The landscape is great. Beautiful view. Wow.

Joan, progress is great for Jerry which in turn is great for you. Take care of yourself, I liked the wine I saw. Good idea.

Joe, don't know if you had your shot yet but a nurse in Bolivia years ago said to take a couple of aspirin or your pain relief choice about 30 minutes after the shot to prevent swelling, etc. Sure has worked for us. Perdón, I don't see much difference in the two words. :-)
Winston Churchill
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2020, 04:42 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

individuo - thank you. What's your reply to the apples question?

Jo - thank you. Oooh a pocket door - that's the proper name for it. I just called them sliding doors Can you lock yours? (since it's a washroom)

Joan - great news! And thank you

Ned - thank you Oh you write a script to resize images, you clever person Good job on the shoes and socks and chair ... don't be too hard on yourself - shoes are difficult, and planning is also difficult Ah you get your oil changed at a place named "OIL STOP" LOL - must be a California thing - I've never seen one here

Joe - thank you. Where are you taking Spanish lessons? Hope your flu shot goes well.
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2020, 06:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

EP - Here is individuo’s reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by individuo
Joe, Si, yo como manzanas y también bebo agua. (Yes, I eat apples and I drink water too.)
and I am using free version of Duolingo app on iPad.

Arm is sore where I got the shot even following jo’s sage advice. We also made a trip to the dump that spent the afternoon going over medical insurance claims. Fun!

Keep sketching
Joe
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2020, 06:40 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

I played in the pastels but only about 30 minutes we were hanging paintings and busy otherwise.

Number 6 or so, animal, no live animals in our world so a little stuffed wart hog that Gene got for me.

Winston Churchill
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2020, 07:22 PM

Hails from Spain

Jo, nice sketch! it looks so cozy. And the last one, WOW!! It's perfect.

Joan T,

Ned, as the others say, don't be too hard on yourself, or I will have to post my next catastrophe to show you what a sketch that "didn't go well" really looks like . Although such drastic measures might not be necessary given your explanations about not being upset and how you learned with it. I like that sketch, look at the socks and the shoes (especially the cords and the interior part). Oh!, and beautiful landscape.

Joe, as Jo said, not much difference, you can use any of them in pretty much any situation that I can think of. Keep it up José

EP, my reply was "Si, yo como manzanas y también bebo agua." (Yes, I eat apples and I drink water too.). And logically the best places for Spanish lessons have to be in Spain, just saying

Last edited by individuo : 01-21-2020 at 07:25 PM.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2020, 07:44 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

I'm glad I found this place, you all are great. Makes me laugh reading your comments too.

Jo - that warthog is really cool! A long time ago I was a volunteer teacher in East Africa and my housemate called them "anavuta sigara" ( roughly: "he who smokes cigarettes"...).
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2020, 11:34 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Often I try to go on walks, but it was raining here today so a good day to pick something from the "hunt" list! This is my daughter's bathroom... she's been here for 18 years and now for the first time is away from home at school. I don't even think she was in kindergarten when we put all the "duck" theme stuff in there.

#8 sink
with the same twsbi eco pen I've been using, in the "art alternatives" sketchbook:

I think it looked better before I drew the border around it. And.. I wonder if this is my imagination, but I think drawing the border made it seem like we're looking down at the sink from a higher angle, is that possible?? I was at a lower angle more like the camera view.

Oh, and I did get lost once... I was drawing opening of the handle on the box, and then as I came down the other side of the handle I went to the wrong contour... you can almost tell the handle in my drawing is about the size opening should be...because that's what I was drawing!! But somehow it didn't fluster me much and I just pretended the handle was like that and imagined what the bottle behind it might look like.

Last edited by NedL : 01-21-2020 at 11:53 PM.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2020, 12:01 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Ned: Great job love the landscape ... and the dejavu shoes+socks ...nice sinc scene

Jo: Super cute hog...

Joan: Glad to see you back and hear of Jerry good news. It will be tough but we all rule for you guys.

No sketch from me, been deflating after so many make up classes teaching. I taught a lot even on my birthday 2 days ago. No time to go out for B-day meal yet. Tonight I was getting back to taking piano lesson... after 4 years absence ... Still hope to get back and join the sketch ride with you guys. Chao.

Painting is my soul. My blog.

Last edited by Eye : 01-22-2020 at 12:04 PM.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2020, 12:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Buenos Dias!

Jo - love the warthog stuffie! Looks like it wants to play.

Ned. - Glad you found us too. Amazing how adding a line or two change change your perspective. Your sketches are really good. You seem to have proportions under control which is often an uphill climb for many just starting

Ai - belated Happy Birthday! 🎂 Have fun with learning to play Piano sounds fun. Would like to learn either guitar or keyboard. At moment trying to learn some basic Spanish mainly as I read learning a language stimulates the brain.

#2 & 3 animal and chair - used .5mm HB mechanical pencil in 5x8 inch sketchbook. Not much time so just sketched rather than go for more finished look.

Keep sketching
Joe