WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2020, 01:50 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand
Re: Scavenger Hunt #618 - Jan 16-24

Tone and I have a morning culture date, walking through part of old Bangkok that we had visited 10 years ago. We revisited this SawetTraChatr Temple and I sketched the reclining buddha. So sad that now they are about to build a new temple encase the buddha statue. I've been loving how the reclining buddha lays against the modern high-rises buildings of Bangkok.

#2 public place -- SawetTraChatr Temple, Bangkok ... done in directwatercolor style.

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2020, 09:44 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedL
I am impressed that you all were there 10 years ago! Can't help but wonder what drawing will be like 10 years from now.

Enjoy your journey... My style hasn't changed at all even though I like some things others do, it just doesn't incorporate .. I'm sure it is lack of practice. I do draw much more quickly and accurately (when I concentrate which isn't often as I'm lazy and a procrastinator). I do find it more interesting now. At first it was like homework for my painting. :-) Your landscape is great and I like your comments. Well done.

Hi all the rest!

Ai, I like your reclining Buddha. Yes the background compliments it well.

I sketched in the big book with a Micron 02. Freehand. Should have used a thicker nib for such a big sketch. Too much time .... ha.

Number 1 - mess

Photo of mess

Winston Churchill

Last edited by Jo Castillo : 01-18-2020 at 10:07 AM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2020, 10:04 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Jo: Thanks... You did great with so many items in the same scene. Your sketch makes me miss ink.

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2020, 11:56 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Ai - it is a shame they want to enclose something so beautiful basically hiding it from public view but you captured the beauty.

Keep sketching
Joe
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2020, 06:55 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Ai - I know what you mean about using a non-special book so that you don't feel frightened to make a mess

Ned - way to go trying ink and wash all in one go and thanks for sharing your thought process. Maybe you can do excercises for a week and then try the ink and wash all at once on a weekend. I bet you'll see improvements in what you like in leaps and bounds with that approach.

Ai - ah the reclining Buddha - well done and thanks for not including the roof and supports around the sculpture.

Jo - aha what a lovely mess And look there is WetCanvas and the hunt list open on your computer screen
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2020, 07:48 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Jo: We have similar level of mess in our art room.. but may be mine was heavier... ha ha ha .. your sketch was great.

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2020, 09:26 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Ai - I love your "direct watercolors". Agree something like that should be out where people can see it!

Jo - your "mess" made me laugh, my desk is so much worse, there's only a little corner where I can use it.

EP - thank you, yes exactly what I'm thinking.

I wrote a little script to quickly make photos the right size for WC... we'll see if it works now.

Number 2 "shelf" last night when I couldn't fall asleep... could also be mess!:

That's about 1/2 page in an "Art Alternatives" 5.5x7.5" sketchbook.

This morning I went to the library and there is a little plaza next to it so I brought my sketchbook to do a "public place". I thought I was going to sketch the plaza itself but I sat down next to these fellows and decided to try to draw them. Something funny happened... there was a class for children going on in the library, and while I was sitting there sketching it ended, so there were parents standing around and kids running all over the place.... well one of the kids found a button that turned on the fountain!! ( I didn't even know it could turn on! ) So I was sitting there and all of a sudden the turtles started spaying water, and the wind was blowing the mist onto me and my drawing... so the drawing was done The little kid was jumping up and down and we all got a good laugh.

Number 3 "public place":

( 1/2 page this time in the 5.5x8" strathmore sketchbook )

Then a walk at the beach this afternoon and I really enjoyed making another sketch there. It was an absolutely beautiful over there, crystal clear air and sunny and the light on the water was magic.

P.S. I spent at least 15 minutes looking at those turtles and trying to figure out how they would fit on a sketch before I started drawing... it really took me a while to figure out.

Last edited by NedL : 01-18-2020 at 09:56 PM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2020, 02:09 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Ned: Love your sketches...esp. the public space... I also admire your narrative words... I felt like you could easily do a novel..just nice serenity in this thread... Thanks.

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2020, 10:58 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Jo - do not know how I missed ‘the mess ‘. It is a super sketch. So much detail drawn and implied and very much reality. Nice job!

Ned. - great job on the shelf and the turtle fountain. I agree with Ai, I like your accompanying narrative as well. I laughed looking at the photo when I spotted the ‘runaway ‘ turtle which reminded me of Ai ‘s turtle a couple of hunts ago.

#1 Tree - I have wanted to draw this tree for some time and finally got a chance but only had my iPad. So is digital and took way too long.
Used Procreate and Apple Pencil. I do want to really draw this tree. It has so much character and now I have a photo which I never thought to take before.

Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited by jmfletch : 01-19-2020 at 11:00 AM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2020, 11:55 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks, everyone. I think my mess is more today. I didn't sketch anything on the right of the computer. I have CDs mail, coffee cup, more batteries, keys, another pen/pencil cup, etc. Good thing I have a big desk.

EP and Ai, my coffee table book is sort of "the special book". It is irritating to mess up one of the sketches in that, like the smiling hat. I will have to say I did it on purpose! Ha.

NedL, a lovely script of photos. You are doing so great with your pen. Love the turtles and story. My smile for today.

Joe, that tree is very interesting. Good digi. Is the tree some sort of oak?

My sketch is tree as well. Out our guest room window which is rarely open to see the view. A Youpon and Cedar tree. Youpon is a type of Holly I think, some have red berries. This one doesn't. In the big sketchbook with a Pilot Pen (the one I thought was broken. It works about half the time. Ha.)

Number 2, tree

Winston Churchill
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2020, 07:00 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Joe - sketching on an ipad, that's interesting, and it does looks something like pencil. I like that tree and was also thinking "oak". I'm also thinking of trying an oak...

Jo - I like the way the top is with the lighter area and the little "spouts" at the base.

I did sketch today but not for the scavenger hunt... also played some more with ink wash. I also made a sketch with just 6 lines and then tried to finish it with wash. I have an idea that I'm being too fussy and hesitant with it and need to work a little faster, which will be easier when I've done more of it. We'll see! Fun to play with it anyway.

Last edited by NedL : 01-19-2020 at 07:03 PM.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2020, 08:13 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Ned - what an interesting shelf! So many things to see Hooray for artistic licence to move items if they don't make sense in a sketch Yay turtles! What a funny story about the fountain/water Love seeing those northern Californian homes in the background in the photo

Joe - well done on the digi tree. Love twists and turns of gnarled limbs

Jo - your smiling hat is just fine in the coffee table book Does the paper take wet media? Maybe you could embellish the page somehow ... I'm not familiar with that first tree ... is it like this one? Yaupon holly
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2020, 12:35 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

ink and coloured pencil on 5x8" toned paper. The black ink smudged. Whoops.

1. shelf
2. overhead light/lamp
3. glass in the front of the clock
4. chair

Cheers,
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2020, 10:28 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Buenos Dias!

Jo - Nice tree sketch. I love cedar trees. We’re had a lot of them plus one old oak in our yard in Rhode Island. My tree bark looks like oak but the leaves sure don’t.
Edited to add. Based on the leaf litter I am guessing that it is a Live Oak.

Ned - share it anyway. Just label practice.

Ep - I was looking at how soft you made the chair look than saw how you had followed the contour with the pencil. Nice work. Glass shelf, lamp, clock all look great. I got some toned paper hope to try it out today.

Individuo - ¿Tú comes manzanas? Yo bebo agua.

Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited by jmfletch : 01-20-2020 at 10:48 AM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2020, 03:16 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Joe - thank you. Yes, pencil first. And I see now today how my vertical lines on my bookcase are not as plum vertical as I thought they were last night. Oh well. What did you say to individuo? Agua is water ... and you asked him a question.