WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2019, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada
Re: Stitch in Time December 2019

Yes familiar is best. Just enough to trick your mind but not enough to distract you. Most of the videos I use are Time Team archeology ones I have seen a dozen times, no plot, no excitement or house renovation, same thing.

I found a new Julia Cameron book about retirement and finding your artistic practice. I will have to get my own copy because it had to go back to the library. What I liked was the focus on reinventing ones self and no focus on changing careers or even sales.
Part of my problem with starting my art work is that I really don't want to do the business part, at all but that has always been sort of central with it.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2019, 06:45 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, art isn't always about sales. Tho' I get it that sales in some ways validates what you do. The business side of things is a pain. For me, it's not the record keeping or even the taking of nice pictures for online sales. It's the marketing. I haven't a clue how to market my critters. And I haven't. They've just sort of sold themselves all this time. All that being said, art isn't about sales. It's about self expression. I know I got a lot out of the "Artist's Way". I'll look into this one.

Still sewing dragons. It's what I do. Eventually, I need to get back to other things because there are dolls and books that are in my head and need to get made.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2019, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

When I did her first book the first time, I realized my family background of lower working class was an overriding voice " It must be useful otherwise it is a waste of time, materials and energy " I got by that by making tea cozies. And it eventually shut up but now it has crept back. "If you aren't going to sell them you are just wasting fabric that could be used for something real"

Marketing is a bitch. People keep telling me to put my stuff in native American galleries but I don't have a drop of that blood. But my stuff looks like it might belong there. My stuff is too crafty for most galleries and too high end for craft markets.

All my xmas stuff is mailed. The kitchen is clean. I am knitting for myself.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2019, 06:47 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, I empathize about the voices in your head telling you that things have to be practical, and/or salable. We all have those voices. Sometimes shouting, sometimes whispering, but there all the same. I hope you can find a path thru the programing and the marketing stuff. Glad you are able to knit for yourself now.

For me marketing my critters has always been a "just who do I market to?" I could market to mother's of young children and my critters are child safe. And I know they appeal to children. I could market to mother's of teens. Because they are small and fantasy, it appeals to a certain market of teens as appealing. I could market to grandma's and aunt's of those same kids. Then there is the market of "young love" where the older teen/young twenty something wants to get their current SO a cute present. All of these have been my customers. It's a marketing nightmare. Because I've also sold to people who collect dragons, unicorns and pegasus. So, just who do I market to and who do I leave out? It's not easily defined. My response has been not to do any marketing beyond what Etsy does. That, of course, has not worked well. Well, it did for a while. I saw a steady increase in number of sales until this year. This year, they have fallen off significantly. However, this year, I've had my stuff at a gallery on commission. The gallery has outsold Etsy of any year. *shrug*

In reality, I'm getting tired of making critters. At this point, it's just making the same thing over and over again. I'm not creating, I'm manufacturing. I had hoped to be able to begin offering fairy dolls, but as I don't actually have a finished doll, let alone several, that isn't happening soon. I also thought I might do something with the books, but again, it's not happening soon.

This is where I empathize with the statement about something being salable or why do it? This whole time I've been working on dolls off and on, it was with the idea to put them up for sale. DH has been telling me not to worry about selling them, just make the dolls because I want to make them. It's a strange concept to make something just because.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2019, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

It is so tricky, marketing. I found when I focused on that it never really sold. The stuff I thought was unmarketable did sell. The grandmother tea copies sold when I had fun and did creative things with them .

The knitting I have been doing is all usable, even the lace shawls. My voices shut up about it. Knitting is good, knitting is useful, even if the yarn costs $60 a ball of handwash artisan dyed silk. (That yellow shawl) . Logic is not the voices strong point.

I was out shopping today while my sister was getting some dental work done. And I got the last copy of "It's never too late to begin again " by Julia Cameron. Now to actually start actually journaling again and work on it. The book store was a zoo and I swear the cashier was high on something, that is the only explanation for her bubbling "hello young lady" and other comments.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2019, 06:30 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, I'm interested in your opinion of the book. I looked at the reviews on Amazon and the negative reviews were that this is her original "Artist's Way" series of prompts and exercises reskinned. So I hesitated to purchase it. I did find it in the local library, but have to get my card renewed before I can check it out.

I try to avoid going out shopping this time of year if I can. It seems like everyone is crazy trying to spend money. Glad you emerged unscathed.

The dragon saga continues.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2019, 07:48 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

I have read the first 5 chapters before the ebook sent itself home to the library, it was only available for a week and there were other holds on it. The reviewers are right in a way, a lot of it is her Artist Way but refocused. I tried redoing her Artist Way recently but it seemed so far from what I needed. In this book she talks a lot more about age and change that retirement brings, the dislocation of not having a particular career to define your self or the spouse. And about caregiving and all that affects. There is grieving about lost opportunities. And like I said there is much less focus on career and marketing, at least in the first 5 chapters.

I started journaling this morning, just as a warm up. I only did almost a page of a half size note book. I have never made it to 3 full pages so for me that is a lot.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2019, 06:38 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, I guess it makes sense that a lot of the exercises and such would be the same from the "Artist's Way" because she has found those work to break patterns and start enthusiasm for creativity. Congrats on the journaling. I found that was the one thing that stuck from doing the "Artist's Way". My morning routine includes sitting down with a cup of tea, a blank book I've made and my fountain pen to journal for a bit. I don't stick with the 3 page rule. I journal until I'm done. Sometimes it's a page, sometimes it's gone on for 4 or 5 pages if I'm really working on something.

I'm mostly stalled out right now. I've been meaning to get the critters made. And, I've sort of worked on them. But, I have to admit, I'm not putting a lot of time into them. As a consequence, I'm not getting a lot done. This isn't doing my mind or my attitude any good. Poor DH is the victim of my grumpiness.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2019, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Yes the exercises work. The things to focus on each week are somewhat different, the questions are a bit different. Sometimes the difference is subtle and sometimes not.

Lots of shopping today and tomorrow. Then it is done for a while.
I was knitting on a hat for my oldest with some yarn that I loved when I saw it but is just boring and blah when it is knit up in this pattern. It is the same that I used for the Elven Hood I made for my youngest this summer which she loved but even then I was unsure about it, This is knit tighter and lost all its hint of shininess. It reminds of knitting with old pantyhose. It is those shades of beige and taupe and browns and the yarn is like a knit tube so totally old pantyhose in look and feel too. So I ripped it all out. It is strange that it looks so nice in the cake of yarn, all subtle earthy and leafy tones with a hint of sunshine and it knits up so drab.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2019, 05:47 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, sorry the yarn was a disappointment. At least with knitting, you can unravel your work and not worry about having cut that expensive material incorrectly.

Sounds like I might need a look at that book. I'm just not being creative lately. And, I think that's part of my grumpiness.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDebby
Lena, sorry the yarn was a disappointment. At least with knitting, you can unravel your work and not worry about having cut that expensive material incorrectly.

LOL yes. Once upon a time in the dark ages (the 70s) I bought 2 yards of exquisite silk brocade in a store in China town of Vancouver. It sat in my cedar truck for over 30 years because I couldn't get myself to cut it. I finally hemmed it and gave it to a Buddhist friend who used it as a wall hanging to frame a scroll..... It is still on her wall - uncut.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2019, 05:48 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, well at least the silk found a home and a use. I tend to not use pricey fabric. Mostly I use cotton in some form or another, such as denim, lawn, flannel. I know cotton is a costly fabric in terms of the environment and I'm not sure how to deal with that. I thought about using linen, but my foray into linen has resulted in a blouse that is still in time out.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2019, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

There was a time in my life when I did dress in fine fabrics and bought expensive silks and made them into clothing. The corporate life style, boring suits but silk blouses, even silk & linen suits that I made which slightly kicked the boundaries.

My son-in-law got his results from the mri back. There is no spinal damage, it is all soft tissue damage so there is hope. They got the package I sent them with all the yarn in it including the over scented silks that I gave up on. He was very inspired which is what I hoped for.

The journalling is not going well - too many issues just before christmas, lots of shopping. And again today .... I hate shopping.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2019, 06:52 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, I'm glad to hear your son-in-law has no spinal damage. That is actually pretty good news. Inspired is a good place to be. Sorry to hear you are having problems journaling. For me, issues is why I journal. I can get them out of my head and on paper in front of me. From there I quit thinking in circles and can start to deal with them. Granted there are issues I still don't have a handle on. Hoping you have a reasonable holiday.

Personally, I didn't go shopping this year at all. I told mom and she can't keep anything to herself, that I wasn't feeling it this year and I was so tired doing night shift, I was giving Christmas a pass this year. No cards, no gifts. The exception was my son and daughter-in-law. They got a card with a check in it because they said they wanted money this year. I'll be glad when Christmas and New Year's are over. Tho' then I have to think about taxes. Maybe the New Year can wait a bit...
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2019, 01:49 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

The problem I have with the journalling is setting aside time in the morning for it. Mornings is when I go shopping for needed stuff, especially if my sister wants to go out. The problem is that she keeps changing her mind. Mostly for health reasons. I need to rework my mornings and get up earlier which I find hard to do in the winter. Plus I am not a morning person so mornings are on auto pilot mostly.

Most of my baking is done or in the oven. The chicken is defrosting. I need to wrap a few more odds and ends and do some cleaning. That is it.

Enjoy yourself how ever you decide to celebrate.