WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2019, 06:06 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Stitch in Time November 2019

Trick-or-treat was a bust around here. Zero kids. Didn't even see any wandering around. Usually see some at the house across the street even if they don't stop by here because the people across the street are school teachers. Oh well. Halloween cost me nothing this year. It was also very cold outside, 25F (-4C).

Continuing to sew dragons. Trying not to stress about it. My head knows I'm only one person and can only do so much. My subconscious feels like I'm behind and is causing stress responses in my body. Tried meditating, nope. Tried soothing music, nope. Tried gentle exercise, nope. Only thing I haven't tried is alcohol. I've sorted my list of critters into 4 categories. The "A" list needs to be done as soon as I can. It includes 10 dragons. 10. Then there is the important to replace, but not dragons list "B". The "C" list is critters that I can replace at my leisure as they are not as popular and don't sell that often, tho' they do sell. And finally there is the "D" list, which can be made or not as I choose. These are the orphans from the shop that were getting no love that I offered to the Gallery, where they sold. I'm just stressed about the 10 dragons.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2019, 09:56 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada
Re: Stitch in Time November 2019

It is funny what your head will do to you. You know intellectually that it is just stuff to do but then your subconscious turns it into a life or death drama.
Like when I was going to my daughter, the days before there was this "OMG what if I forget something! " Well except for my meds and CPAP machine, everything else is replaceable or I can borrow it from my daughter. But my head didn't want to hear it. I was coughing like mad in the taxi to the airport because that is what my nerves do these days. As soon as I was through security it stopped. It made no sense.

Keep doing the meditation and exercise as it at least is generally beneficial. One thing I learned from a hypnotherapist was during meditation to put all the annoying thoughts on a blackboard and imagine erasing them, some other people used a tv screen where they changed the channel or rewrote the script. I guess I am an old foggy and I am stuck with old school tech.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2019, 05:33 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, so true. I wish I could get to the point of "it's ok" with my subconscious.

So this thing happened. Several days ago, I got an order for the black unicorn. Boxed it up and sent it off. Customer contacts me. "Super cute, but I didn't think it would be so small." Followed with can you make one about 12"? This is not the first time I've had this response. What can I do about it? I've made larger dragons and they got no love online. Probably the price I was asking. But, why do people not see the word "miniature" in the title? Or the first paragraph of the description where it says the critter is approximately 4 inches (10cm) long. Or even the picture where I place the critter next to a ruler where the inches and cm are marked? I'm not trying to trick people. Of course this didn't help my stress levels. I politely answered and have gotten no further response. Tho' I didn't expect one when I quoted a time and price for a 12 inch unicorn. I just hope it doesn't end up with a negative review.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2019, 12:18 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

A Friend who sells jewellery on etsy gets this kind of thing all the time. People don't read the size or the contents and then complain. Yes a bronze ring is made of bronze. Yes that earring is small and not a pendant.

I am going to a lecture and workshop with Arne and Carlos this week. The workshop is for their knitted birds. I am really looking forward to it.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2019, 05:19 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, that workshop sounds interesting. Looking forward to seeing what you create.

So I posed the question to my business group. The response was pretty much what I had figured out. Put the critter in my hand and make that the first photo in the line up. I'll probably still get complaints, but at least I'll have tried to show the scale of the thing.

Continuing to sew dragons. Now at 8 to make. I can't seem to convince my subconscious that the stress response is actually making it more difficult to get the sewing done. Guess I'm just wired for the stone age and stress means life or death.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2019, 12:04 AM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

I had a great time at the lecture last night. It was interesting to see the Norwegian folk designs and the way they used them and re invented them for their garments and various objects. They were also very funny.

Tomorrow morning is the workshop. It should be fun.

Photographing in a hand sounds like a good idea. Use your husband's hands, they are probably bigger and it will be easier to take the picture.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2019, 05:25 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, good to hear you had a great time at the lecture. Enjoy the workshop. Good thing DH volunteered already to be a hand model.

Another dragon done. Yay! Now 7 to go. Then the rest of the critters. So far I've been able to keep the work to getting a little done but not hurting the wrist or hands. It's very tempting to up my game, but I don't want to do that then be out of commission for several days. I keep telling myself slow and steady.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2019, 04:21 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

The workshop was fun. I learned to hold my yarn in the Norwegian way but that meant I was a lot slower and knitted much looser. So my bird was fat and sloppy and twice the size it should be. I am now practising the new method on another bird to get the pattern down in my head. Then I can make multicoloured different types of birds.
I wanted to learn this because it is usefully to be able to switch hands. I can do it with the knit stitch but the purl stitches always eluded me. It took Arne 5 seconds to teach me the trick.

Fat big bird with too short tail :
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2019, 06:16 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, sounds like a great workshop. Always satisfying when you can truly learn something new. I'm sure you'll get the bird made to your satisfaction. Your use of the term "fat bird" reminded me of the line in the movie "Mary Poppins." Made me giggle.

Still just sewing critters. Tho' another one sold at the gallery. AAHhh! (Everything is fine. Everything is fine. Everything is fine.) Ok, better now. I'm afraid that the family will have to do without gifts this Christmas. I refuse to buy junk and won't have time to make anything this year.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

I made a small better made bird in the way taught in class. The next few will be done differently but it was a good learning technique. I need to stuff it and finish the sculpting.

This weekend has been miserable. The weather is awful and I got hit yesterday with some form of gastro. I spent the day in bed after spending the morning in the bathroom. Not much got done. I am still a little shaky today.

As far as the weather was concerned it went from rain on friday to snow in the evening and tons more snow yesterday. And now it is very cold. This is the second time this week that it has dropped to a high of -18c . The plants are not going to like it, there was no snow cover for them. Last year when it got very cold we had at least 6 inches of snow on the ground. Today we have about 4 inches, more fell but it melted the first few hours. But the temperature is like a yoyo and that is really bad for the plants.

Good luck chugging along making critters.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 05:42 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, so sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Take care of yourself. Looking forward to seeing these bird sculptures you are making. The transitional seasons of spring and fall are always dicey. Hope the plants survive.

I've been so careful with not over doing the sewing of critters to save my wrist and it's my shoulder that crapped out on me. My right shoulder has been hurting on and off for the past week. Yesterday, I couldn't raise my arm to any degree without pain. Took the day off from sewing. My work space, because I'm short isn't exactly ergonomic. And I've been at this for about 3 weeks straight. In the past I've taken days off when DH is home from work. But, this time I decided to power on thru. That may have been a mistake.

Just as we were headed to bed, the power went out. Still don't know why, but it was out for about 3 hours. I need my CPAP to sleep plus oxygen. Without power, I can't really lay down. So, I parked myself in the recliner. Couldn't really get comfortable enough to sleep. So I'm a little sleep deprived today. May take today off from sewing as well.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 04:25 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

From my massage classes, your shoulder is taking up the slack as you protect your hands. Those muscles are not designed for fine motor work. Stop every 10 or 15 minutes and rotate and stretch and shake the arms and hands.
When you are sewing focus on making the smallest movements possible. Don't get your whole arm involved. It is not easy. I find myself doing extra movement I don't need to do when knitting like pushing the needle back out with my left forefinger and if I don't pay attention and not do that I will end up with a very sore finger. It is a completely unnecessary movement. I have no idea why I do that when doing continental style knitting (yarn in the left hand).

I have been knitting a hat with thick yarn to practice the Norwegian/continental knitting I now have a sore left pointer finger. It is still cold (-20c this morning with wind) but the temperature is rising quickly and more snow coming.

Ergonomically can you pick up one of those little tray tables? I find them the perfect height for working on and they cost around $20 here though I see them frequently in second hand shops for a lot less. That is what I use for my laptop.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 06:31 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, thanks for the tips. I don't usually have a sore shoulder from sewing. It's in my wrist. But, I can see how I might be subconsciously using the whole arm to save the wrist so "I can sew more" even tho' I now have a sore shoulder. Good idea about tray tables. Have to look into that.

Took yesterday off from sewing. Mostly because I was sleep deprived from the power outage stuff. Slept 10 hours last night and feel so much better. So I got an extra day of rest for the wrist and shoulder. Now, back to work.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2019, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

It has been a busy week, vet visit for shots and an eye appointment for me. The weather has yoyoed from -30c to +9c with rain and snow and everything in between.
Most of today, after getting the groceries, was spent virtually hand holding my daughter because her husband ended up in ER after someone tboned his friends car. They thought his leg was broken. But it was mostly bruised after xrays showed nothing broken. This was her birthday, when she moaned I pointed out that it was now a very memorable one. The other daughter was doing an important job interview so she needed hand holding too.

So nothing much was done today.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2019, 06:54 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, being "mom" never ends. Yes, they grow up and are adults themselves, but somehow, they still need mom once in a while. Great job being there for them even if it was only in a virtual sense. And I would argue that a lot was done today. Your weather sounds crazy making.

Getting dragons done a bit at a time. The list of dragons has been halved. There are still more critters to make, but I'm slowly getting there.

I've had a few queries via my Etsy shop. One person wanted a gold pocket dragon. I think they meant metallic gold rather than the matte gold of felt. Another wanted a discount for buying more than one critter. Nothing has come from either of those. *shrug*

I sold a couple of critters thru the gallery so there is that. Back to critter making.