WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2019, 04:47 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Stitch in Time July 2019

Wow. The year is half gone. Summer is arriving. So far with mild temps and no forest fires locally. Crossing fingers it stays that way.

Not much going on in my neck of the woods. DH brought home a lovely virus. He's been sick for over a week and just now starting to see it break up. About 4 days in (with him telling me it was just allergies) I caught it. It seems to have hit me harder than he got it. Doing anything with a head full of mush and twice as big as it should be is difficult.

Hope all of you are healthy and doing lovely fiber arts.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2019, 08:20 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Stitch in Time July 2019

(((Debby))) I hope you can quickly shake it off.

Having had a cataract operation, Ruth is restricted to crochet work which she can often do by feel.

Doug

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2019, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Yesterday was Canada Day so lots of noise but also rain. It was cold enough that I thought about putting the heat on. The big problem however is that although we have had over 2 weeks of rain, none of it fell on the fire affected north of the province. The south has had flooding, the north is still burning.

I am just knitting. The art class is over and I still dislike painting flowers.

It sounds like your house has what we had in May, Debbie. It takes a good 2 weeks to shake it. My sister still has a lingering cough. Just pamper yourself.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2019, 06:26 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Doug, hoping Ruth heals quickly from her surgery. Sending virtual hugs to you both.

Lena, sorry about your fires. It's always a rough time in summer for fires. Even if you don't like painting flowers, did you learn something you can apply to what you do like to paint? Thanks for the heads up about that bug.

Obviously a 2 week bug and I've only been ill about a week, I still have a week to go. DH made noises last night while he was at work about me making more brownies. I thought that was fairly straight forward. So off to the kitchen to make brownies. I'm using a grain free mix from Simple Mills. Mix the ingredients together throw it into the oven. I let it cool and when I tried to cut and box up the brownies realized I'd mixed up the oven temperature/time ratio. There are 2 versions one is at a lower temperature and longer cook time to make cake style brownies. The other is at a higher temperature and shorter cook time to make gooey brownies. I baked them at the lower temperature and shorter time. I'm not going to try to bake anymore till I'm feeling better.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2019, 12:56 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Ruth got the all clear at the hospital and they are planning to do the other eye in about six weeks time.

Hope you can shake off that bug Debby.

Doug
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2019, 04:36 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

It is still raining off and on here. I am knitting a very peculiar shaped cowl. I replaces the simple cable with knot work. This is it so far, just the beginning corner.

I also finished a pair of socks last week. These are for a friend who just moved into a basement apartment. Made from King Cole comfort dk baby yarn a lovely synthetic.

The local yarn store was having a christmas in July sale on tuesday. I bought yarn. Unfortunately there wasn't much choice for non-wool yarn. They used to carry the King Cole yarns but not anymore.

I hope everyone is feeling better today.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2019, 05:54 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Doug, glad Ruth is doing well. Hoping next surgery is successful also.

Lena, really like the color of that shawl. The socks are wonderful.

I seem to be slowly getting better. Still coughing and sneezing, but not as much. And, the sinus headache is gone. Crossing my fingers I'll be over this soon.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2019, 11:33 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

I hope you get over it soon too, for us the cough lingered on for quite a while.

That blue yarn is my favourite to knit with. It is called "heartland " by Lion Brand. The colour is "Glacier Bay" sort of a slightly variegated blue with a hint of turquoise. All the colours are inspired by parks. And it is 100% acrylic. So no itch.

Today we got the new osmosis distiller. This one works much better, no water everywhere. The water tastes much nicer than the tap water. My sister gets sick from the tap water so she drinks mostly bottled water and one brand. But they are planning to ban single use plastic bottles here soon so we had to find a better solution for her and my CPAP machine.
Cost wise it was about the same as a years worth of bottled water.
ETA: it is still raining, there are mushrooms showing up in the lawn!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2019, 05:24 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, the problem I've found with the distillers is that they only last about a year. I too cannot drink the local tap water. I've been running a water distiller for a couple of years now and am on the second one. Waiting anxiously to see if it lasts more than a year. Any fairy circles with all those mushrooms?

We have one more night of the local summer celebration for the Fourth of July. Every year there are 3 days of rodeo, parades, and art. The town population swells from just about 3000 to over 10,000. Last year our truck was vandalized. DH has been watching every night this year to prevent a repeat. I'm still coughing. Hate this.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2019, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Yes some of the mushrooms are in fairy rings most are in little bits of curves. They grow amazingly fast. One day there is nothing and the next there are dinner plates on the lawn.
It is raining again. The other thing is that the mosquitoes are unbelievable! Sitting out side when it is not raining is not recommended, they even drive the dog nuts.

I am sitting inside knitting, my joints hurt but not quite enough to take a painkiller.
My sister has drunk about a bottle of the new water and so far has not reacted.
I have hope that this will work. There is a years warranty on the machine so I hope it is good for a few years. There is still the expense of new filters to replace the old ones. And I still have not found a good place to put it in the kitchen. The counter I cleared doesn't work because it get the morning sun and the not sunny part has a cupboard above it.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2019, 07:58 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, take care of your joints in the wet weather. Hope you can solve where to put the water machine. Awful about the mosquitoes. You wonder why they exist.

DH wanted to go to the city yesterday. I reluctantly agreed. The trip completely wiped me out. I'm still coughing. DH says I sound better. But, I don't feel a whole lot better. I've been entertaining myself watching YouTube videos of folks who make historic costumes for re-enactments or for fun and every day wear. Interesting what they go through. Some are interested in being as accurate as possible. Others use historic reference as guidelines.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2019, 10:43 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

I love those kind of videos too. Have you found "A stitch in Time" ? It is a really great series of research and recreation of various historical paintings, including the Arnolfini green dress.

I hope you feel better soon.
The rest of today was miserable. Too much dampness, my asthma is acting up, my head was aching from the thunderstorm and my joints hurt. I was really feeling my age today.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2019, 05:14 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, yes I did. Sorry the weather is causing you problems. Take care.

Feeling marginally better. Finally. The cough is less and I almost have my voice back again. Still taking it easy. Off to watch more videos.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2019, 12:41 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Coughing is so annoying, it breaks your concentration, the artist mental zone! Makes your hands lose control. It also causes acid reflux with me, which makes me cough more. A lot of my asthma presents as coughing.

It is raining again today. It will rain all week. At least today it is just showers, not thunderstorms with funnel cloud advisories. The thunderstorm are like clamps on my head.

If you haven't found her, hunt up the videos of Lucy Worsley.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2019, 06:38 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, thanks for the tip. Rain is good to prevent fires. Tho' I'm sorry it messes with your health. My asthma is heralded by coughing also.

Ok, now I know I'm getting better. I have cut out and started sewing critters again. I sold 4 of them a few weeks ago, then got sick. I'm feeling like I can focus now so am re-making them.