WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2003, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
SUPERB Gaka...totally phenomenal

Beautiful
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2003, 11:38 AM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Gaka... to say beautiful, doesn't seem adequate somehow, but it is just that BEAUTIFUL , the little bird in the middle facing the viewer is my favourite one, he looks so vulnerable, as they all do, but it's the expression on the little fledglings face that grabs me... I do so wish you would get some prints done.... can't wait to see the final pic.

Brilliant work, absolutely brilliant.

Mo.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2003, 01:24 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Gaka, we are all truly enjoying this WIP. I imagine you are getting to the point where you will be happy to see it done but think we will miss watching it progress...tis true...all good things must come to an end...then again, you'll start a NEW one and that is something new to get exited about!

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2003, 01:32 PM
A Local Legend
Living on the Island....

Hails from Canada
Beautiful, beautiful!
Birds have such characters.......I'm an amateur 'birder' and you captured their birdness so very well. Especially that little focul (sp?) point of yours
Do you have a buyer yet?
Meisie
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2003, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

Nicolart....Thanks for stopping by.

Mo....We all know who's the cutie in this painting...it was the main reason why I started this painting, for my composition, for where my background colors went etc. Hopefully everything works and you are drawn to it.

Dyin....It is going to be good to finish the WIP. I think that I am getting typers tension. I have been collating each post and the Q&A's from The Pastel and Animal/Wildlife forums for an article on Pastels. Hopefully it will be accepted.

Meisie....Thank you for your comments..."Do I have a buyer"...A buyer!!! LoLoLoLoL Everyone who sees my work in real life loves it until I mention that filthy word "Money" then they suddenly don't like it thaaaaat much!

Lets say this takes 60hrs to complete, a week and a half's work, I could make over $1,200 a week if I was living in Sydney being the very good sign writer that I am.....So that's $1,800. Now I think that my Artistic ability is worth more than sign writing........But I doubt very much if I could get more than $1,800 for my Swallows. Am I being cynical...sure...I guess I am lucky that I paint for passion and not for profit.

Gaka
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2003, 05:19 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
You just need more exposure, in the right galleries, Gaka. Your work is top notch and I've seen higher prices on lesser work. But we all know how hard it is to get that exposure. So it's a real good thing you paint for passion...but remember...never say never.

#67   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2003, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

This is the 11th and final Day…..

Well I finally completed the paintingToday..............Today I completed the final bird and then I checked all of the birds and painted the highlights that were needed, I also darkened some shadows that needed to be brought up to equal tone as the rest, highlighted the feet and defined areas that needed some attention. Then I completed the electrical cable, finally I signed my name on the bottom of the page and I will never go back and work on it again. My signature is not quite where I usually put it because I did not write it long enough.....but that’s as good as I am going to do it.

The Main subject....
On the finished painting you can see where I have made the background darker and leading towards the Cute guy in the middle. There are two lines of darker green comming up from the R/h side under the wire heading straight for the cute guy as well as one coming in from the left side under the wire. You can see a single line going vertically from the Cute guy's head. If you Eyes follow above the wire from the Left and travel across the painting to the right you drop into the hole where the Cute guy is and the same goes for the other side. Hopefully this creatse enought attention making him the subject of the painting.

And a closer Pic....

Unfortunately the Colors are not quite exact as the original due to various light sources etc. The original background is a Grey/Green color but I think you will get the idea..

End of Day 11 and 5 hrs….62 hrs Total

Size 470mm x 340mm or 19in x 13.5in

I hope that you have enjoyed the journey of my Swallows progress even though it was a long a drawn out WIP. I hope that someone has gained some insight into how I produce my photorealism pastels.

Thank you for your comments and interest....Gaka
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2003, 12:16 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
did not mind that it was long at all!!! Everything works wonderfully to make the cute guy the star of this piece. Such a shame we can't see this full size...my eyes keep traveling around looking at all the little details. It's exquisite!
Thank you for sharing!

#69   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2003, 12:43 AM
Sydney

Hails from Australia
Wow Gaka.... Your painting is absolutely superb!!

I thoroughly enjoyed going on this fascinating journey with you... (it was almost as close as if I was watching you paint).

I have learnt so much from the process & thank you for answering those questions of mine in great detail.

Even without your final explanation of the changes in your background, I'm sure we would still be able to pick out the focal point.

What a journey it has been.....

Thank you Gaka...

Tanya
http://www.elaborateart.com
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2003, 01:02 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Plant City, Fl 33563

Hails from United States
Love to watch an expert at work. Really love this painting. Great job as usual. I think I did one of these birds in Oil. Along time ago. *S* But didn't look this good LOL Are these waxwings? Or just sparrows?

Here's mine

http://www.cathylee.net/files/waxwing.gif
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2003, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member

Hi there

Phew...glad thats over..I drink very little alcohol...BUT I am sitting back in fronta da puta with some chippies and some bubbly alcoholic stuff...Hic oooops Wheeeeee

Dyin.....Oh, but you can see it in real life if you like...you just gotta get on a plane and come to Cairns in the sunny tropics of northern Australia....LOL

Tonii....Pleased to hear that you have gained some information and insight into the "Over the top" world of photorealsim.

Luvy....I checked out you painting, great painting Luvy and yours is not the same. These are Swallows...They fly around quite fast and they dip or dive down very close to the water. They also make Mud nest under the eaves of houses, under bridges etc. I done a quick check for you...they are called Purple Martins or tree Swallows in Florida. The Martins breed in spring and summer in Florida. They are all over Florida, North, central and south.

Gaka Hic
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2003, 02:20 AM
A Local Legend
Living on the Island....

Hails from Canada
Gaka, this has been such a wonderful journey. Thank you again and again for this WIP.
Apart from the knowledge gained there was the sheer enjoyment of seeing this artwork take shape. Those little guys are the cutest and the cutie in the focal point cannot be missed. No matter how my eye travels the painting, it always ends up on him!
You did a terrific job! Congratulations !
And one day when we travel to Oz (as we hope to) I'll remember to come look at your little guys!
Meisie
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2003, 07:11 AM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada
Takes my breath away!
The "cute guys" in the middle are adorable, but the painting itself is not cute at all, but a thing of beauty.
Man, you've got me gushing!

my virtual gallery
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2003, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Another beauty!!

Hey Gaka!!!
Sorry mate, I've been in WC very little as of late (you know why) and only caught the tail end of this!!! You know I think you're king and you've proven it again. I'm one of the lucky ones here who can actually visualise every step in clear detail having watched you work for a couple of hours in person (remember the leaf??? . . I still have it . . an original Gaka!!)
Congrats mate . . .another fine job!!!!

I'll give you another call soon
Cheers
Your friend Crumby
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2003, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Meisie....You and I both gained from this WIP, I gained in the pleasure of sharing and you gained in the journey and the creation of a painting along with many others.

Sundiver....The cute guys are certainly the heart of the painting, Thank you for your kind comments.

Crumby....Great to hear from you mate, I was a little concerned as I do not have your Ph No. Hopefully the "Arty" moments you cherish will live long in your memory. Take care and talk to you soon.

Gaka