WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2003, 08:15 PM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States
Wow! This is amazing...what a lot of work you have done! This is quite impressive. I am already enjoying looking through it.

Sandy
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2003, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member

This is the fourth Day…

Because I had lost a lot of my detail in the birds when I layered my dust onto them, I have had to re-draw the detail back onto the Birds. After drawing the detail with a sharp black pastel I then push the fine drawn lines into the background base of the Bird, I can then go over this with my top layers of dust and still see my lines though the dust, you can see the detailed drawing on the Wings and tail feathers of both birds. Today I have been working on getting some dimension and definition into the birds. I then continued to work on building up from my base colors increasing the intensity of the color to what will be the finished color.

Not a lot has happend Today...but Tomorrow they should start to get some chatracter and dimension.

End of Day 4 and 5 hrs….19 hrs Total

Thank you for stopping by to check my WIP....Gaka
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2003, 08:57 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
this is fun to watch, Gaka. Do you know exactly which colors you'll use before you start?

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2003, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Dyin

Yes I know exactly what I will use, because before I start colors on the blank paper I do small color test to get the right colors that I will lay out on my Palett. Then as I progress and I need another different color, I will do the tests on the L/H side of my painting where I have about 3in or 4in or 75/100 mm of spare paper bordering my painting. There will be lots of different colors and numbers written down the side of my paintings and these are still there when I get the artwork framed.

Gaka
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2003, 07:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Gaka: I'm so glad I didn't miss this WIP!! Thanks for sharing your skill, knowledge and experience with the rest of us and I look forward to more posts. Anxious to see what is to happen with the background - backgrounds are a big puzzle to alot of us.

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2003, 07:19 PM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Oh my Gosh Gaka... this is turning out to be a real gobsmacker!

I'm enthralled ... the details are now taking form on the first swallow, just so looking forward to the next step.

I'm also going to suggest this goes into the New Pastel library under WIP's... brilliant Gaka.

Mo.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2003, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member

This is the 5th Day.....

I have worked a lot on the first bird, building its dimension and definition in the feathers, light and shadeetc. It is not yet finished and I will come back to it later. I have defined the feathers on the second bird and I have drawn in the third birds detail and applied a reasonable amount of color to the third bird.

I decided that the background was not strong enough and supporting the subjects or pushing the subjects out enough, So I darkened the background and lightened some sections as well. I am now reasonably happy with the background and I will probably leave it like it is. The Birds are progressing well and I feel that they are starting to get some dimension..but they still need a lot more work.

I have spent 26 hrs on it so far and I have questioned my sanity for putting 8 Swalows in my painting, I feel like cutting the end of the paper and finishing off the 3 Swallow painting...too late now!!!!! Oh well, the Birds are progressing well and I feel that they are starting to get some dimension..but they still need a lot more work.

End of Day 5 and 7 hrs….26 hrs in Total

Kyle....The background will stay the same as it is...I did not want to put any other matter in the background as I wanted it too look cold and dull day as well as not take anything away from all of the Swallows as they are all competing for some attention.

Mo....It is now starting to get to a more interesting part of the painting for those who have been following its progress....Sorry it takes so long to get anywhere!.

Gaka
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2003, 11:38 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Gaka, this is coming along great. Does the third bird have a feather from it's wing turned back??? I know, be patient and I'll find out!!! Do you always 'chain your self to your work' when you're doing a painting for so many hours a day? Or are you pushing because you think we're waiting? Because we'll wait as long as it takes! I'm a real slow worker too, and I always find myself bemoaning the fact that I picked too much to do. But it's worth the tiring middle stages to get to the end. Anyways, it's looking really good and I'm having fun watching.

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2003, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member

Hi ya Dyin

Does the third bird have a feather from it's wing turned back???
I dont know...if it does I hav'nt see it yet...maybe it's when the wind is blowing it Lol

I have no problems once I start painting each day...I just stop when I feel that I have been painting long enough and before I get too tired. I am not pushing myself at all to finish it...I am aware that some people may think that this WIP is very very slow, But that is the way that I work to get the quality that I achieve.

Gaka
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2003, 04:47 AM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
the only reason for my delay in adding my enthusiasim for your work, is this damn computer!!! ..... I cant tell you how frustrating it is, being able to view all these beautiful pieces, and not being allowed to comment lol ......

Wonderful as always Gaka....... a delight to watch
..... and will be another mouth dropping piece when finished
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2003, 05:24 AM
A Local Legend
East Anglia, UK

Hails from England
Gaka, the sharpness you achieve with this technique is mindblowing! Thank you for posting your progress. It's no less fascinating for being slow ... that's all part of the process.

Crumby's sparrows, Gaka's swallows ... it's great to be able to share WIPs by artists who achieve such jawdropping effects!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2003, 06:41 AM
Sydney

Hails from Australia
Hi Gaka,

Initially you said
Quote:
I put the right base color down first so I do not have to put a different color over it other than the same range as the base color.

Then on Day 5-
Quote:
I darkened the background and lightened some sections as well.

How did you lighten those areas? By overlaying lighter shades of pastel dust over what's already there or did you need to do some light rubbing 1st before adding the lighter colour? I do recall you mentioning
Quote:
if you wanted to put a different color over that dust then you would have a problem as the 2 different colored dusts would mix changing the base color

Tanya
http://www.elaborateart.com
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2003, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Tonii

All that I needed to do was to put more light colored dust and dark colored dust that I had initially used onto the background, When I layed the dust color onto the colored paper initially it did not reach its full color on the first covering. So some more layers just made it darker and lighter.

Gaka
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2003, 07:40 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Plant City, Fl 33563

Hails from United States
You have the patience I'll never have. I would ge bored on a painting taking so long and it wouldn't come out near what yours looks like. You have a talent not many have. I can only hope I come close to what yo achieve. I sure hope you make big bucks on this LOL It's beautiful.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2003, 10:36 AM
Owings Mills MD

Hails from United States
Gaka, Again, no way to put into words your amazing work! Thank you for taking the time to share this with us... gives me so much insite! Wonderful... I love these swallows... ! Take care... Sharon