WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2003, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

Gaka's Swallows WIP

Hi Everyone

I enjoy looking at everyone elses WIP's as it is amazing seeing the painting virtualy come to life before your eyes. This is my first WIP that I have posted, I hope that you find it interesting and the Pics are clear enough for you to see the detail and process that I use to paint my Pastel Photorealism.

This being painted on a half sheet of Grey/Green Canson Pastel paper. In the first Pic I am laying down the background base of greens and Grey/Blue, I have my Pastel dust on a palett and I am applying the dust with a Tissue which has been folded to about an inch-25mm square. It does not matter if I go over the edge of the pencil drawing because I can still see it through the dust. You can see where I have cleaned the background dust off the first set of Birds and the second set has not been done as yet.

It the second Pic I have cleaned all of the dust of the drawings of the Birds and I am now proceeding to lay down a basic tone range of dust which will be the color base for my painting and give me a guide as to where everything is going to be. This has taken me 4 hrs to this point…laying in the background, cleaning up the bird images, re-drawing where needed and starting to lay my bases down.

This is a Pic of my workbox/palett. In this Pic you can see where I have layed out my colored dusts on the palett and I have written the color number next to each color just in case I get confused as to which color I was using or I mix up my pastel sticks, laying beside each color is the cotton tip/bud that I am using just for that color and I also put the pastel stick near its colored dust. You can also see my pink and white cotton buds, files for sharpening, a blue handled file cleaner, Mahl/rest stick and my pastel storage…sorry about the hairy knee!!!!!

End of day one and 4 hours
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2003, 06:57 PM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Gaka!!! Welcome back my friend.... you are an absolutely amazing artist... this is going to be one very special WIP.. I will be glued to it all the way through... thankyou for sharing your techniques with us this way. BTW the birds are they swallows?

Don't mind the added flesh and hairs one bit.

Mo.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2003, 07:15 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
yeah...the hairy knee gives it character!!! Gaka...am so glad...you mentioned you'd do one soon and I've been waiting!!! I love swallows, too...know it takes awhile, will be fun watching!!!

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2003, 08:12 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oooooooooooooooooooklahoma

Hails from Australia
Welcome back Gaka.. love seeing your paintings progress...

Chooky

Colleen Brown Fine Art
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2003, 10:55 PM
Sydney

Hails from Australia
Gaka,

Now I know what you mean by having to have patience.... I can't believe that you spent 4 hrs laying down your background colours.

And thanks for including images of your materials etc...it really help to know what real artists work with.

Please also include close up shots when you get to the finer details.

Cheers
Tanya
http://www.elaborateart.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2003, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Everyone

Thank you for your comments

Mo....It is great to be back at the Easel again, It has been a long time. Yep..they are Swallows

Dyin....Time seems to pass so quickly when I am painting. I will be posting my daily progress and I expect the painting will take a couple of weeks with a couple of days of

Chook....Hi ya, congrats on your win and a welcome back to the Easel for you also. Loved your Flowers.

Tonii....The close up shots are not the best as I am using my friends non focus digital camera, Welcome to the world photorealism...dont forget to bring your patience and persistance with you!!!!

This is the second Day….I am progressing with the base colors which is very important, but when doing this I am also loosing most of the details that was drawn inside of the swallows. This will be ok as I will correct this at a later date when I start to do the feathers.

Ok thats the base colors completed and tomorrow I will start to add stronger color and some detail.

I usually work 4 or 5 hrs a day as I find that if I work much more than that every day I burn myself out because of the intensity of my work and I can not paint at all.

End of Day 2 and 4hrs….8hrs in Total

Seeya.....Gaka
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2003, 06:46 AM
Owings Mills MD

Hails from United States
Wow, may I say Wow again? WOW! Sorry being so goofy but I just was amazed at how much time and patience you were putting into this piece. So curious me... went back to see what type of work you usually do (hmmm knew it had to be good but.... wow!). The explicative is alluding me for your work and the way you master a subject. All I'm left with is a dumbfounded WOW. My hat is off to you, you are the master of all detail. (I believe God gave you my share of patience because I have none compared to you! LOL) I'm honored that I'm having this chance to watch this WIP. Thank you so much for sharing your work, your time and your patience! Again, I'm acting the goof, but I can't put into words what an impression your work leaves with me. Photo realism, no I'm sorry its so much better than any photo ever could be.... You produce pieces like I could only wish to see but couldn't.... OK OK OK... got to shut up now... really going overboard... Thanks for sharing.... sharon
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2003, 06:58 AM

Hails from United States
What Sharon said! Thank you for posting these wips and the peek at your workspace too

Jen
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2003, 07:35 AM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States
Amazing! The patience you have is incredible...
I have seen some of your finished work and been really, really impressed, so this WIP is a treat. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. I'm looking forward to the next installments!

Sandy
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2003, 09:31 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
loving the little guys...tell me...do you fix after the base colors? I'm wondering how well it stays there when you go for the next layers...also, do you make mistakes and if so, how do you fix them??? And one last query...do you use anything as a guide? Saw for that lovely straight line??? I would be quite tempted to try this if I didn't have trouble with the dust...but still like to know all about the technique...

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2003, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Hi again

Dyin....I have used fixitive once in 10/12 years of painting pastels and that was on a 2in-50mm square, I cant see the need for it or I dont have any use for it in the work that I do. The dust base stays there quite well...I suggest that you rub some pastel onto some paper to get some dust, then with a tissue apply that dust thinly to some pastel paper working it well into the paper. Then rub your fingers across the dust and see just how much dust comes of the paper...now if you wanted to put a different color over that dust then you would have a problem as the 2 different colored dusts would mix changing the base color. I put the right base color down first so I do not have to put a different color over it other than the same range as the base color.

"Do I make mistakes".....Do I have to answer?????...Of course I do...but rarely!, most of them can be easily corrected or I rub the mistake off with a sharp pointed rubber and redust the area.

If I drew the straight line in pencil with a ruler I could have painted it in pastel freehand...but it would take too long, so to speed things up I used the ruler and a sharpened pastel to draw the edges of the line and then pushed these lines into the paper with a color shaper and then filled them in.

I may work in passtel dusts but there is very little floating around in the air as I am only transfering it from the palett to the art paper on a tissue in small quantities. I do not put anything on ther floor to protect it as there is very little if any falls there.

Meowmeow....Thanks for dropping in to my WIP.

Greeble....My workspace is so full of art supplies that it must weigh over a 100lbs-40k, 2 trays of oils, 1 tray of watercolors plus 2 sets, Goache, Pencils, Brushes, 5 draws of pastels, graphite and color pencil sets etc etc and I am thinking of building a bigger one so I can put my acrylics in as well. Pity I dont use my art supplies more often, well at least I am ready for the enthusiasm rush!!!

blissfullyunaware....Thank you for your very kind comments...Patience, well I have Truck loads of it when it comes to my artistic and creative work...but I am affraid it disappears when it comes to ex-wives Patience is an emotion, control your emotion and you control your patience....just goes to show you I loose control of my emotions with ex-wives LOL

seeulata
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2003, 10:46 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
thanks for taking the time to explain all that...hmmmm...maybe will have to try a little test piece.....

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2003, 03:14 PM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Coming along absolutely beautifully Gaka, thank you for explaining your techniques so thoroughly... fascinating stuff.

BTW... how many ex wives do you have.....ooops too personal shouldn't have asked.

Mo.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Sydney

Hails from Australia
Quote:
"Do I make mistakes".....most of them can be easily corrected or I rub the mistake off with a sharp pointed rubber and redust the area.

Gaka, do you use a Kneadable rubber or a standard rubber(whatever u call it)? Doesn't the rubbing ruin the paper surface. Hence when u redust the area again, the surface will not be as smooth as that of other areas?

Also getting back to your 1st pic,
Quote:
…laying in the background, cleaning up the bird images, re-drawing where needed

Did you also clean the bird images the same way using a rubber? Or is it because u did not rub it in with a tissue on the bird itself, so u can just shake it & blow off the dust?

Quote:
the cotton tip/bud that I am using just for that color
- did u use it to apply the birds with the bud?Or was it simply for mixing pastel dusts?

I really would like it if you could also post the reference photo(s) as well, that way I could also refer to it & hopefully see from it what you are seeing.... & work out what you are thinking (But I don't want u to spoil the fun/ surprise for all , so if u could include it in the end- would be fine).

Tanya
http://www.elaborateart.com
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2003, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member

Hello again

This is the Third Day......

Sorry the Pic is not to clear…Today I finished of the base colors and you can see that I have started to put down my top colors. When working on the detail in the first 2 birds I take my time building the color up gradually so I can keep some control over the tone and result, rather than applying a lot of color at once and then have to remove it. Once I have established the amounts and layers that I nedd to apply to these 2 birds...then the following 6 birds will be much easier.

I do not use the Cotton buds a great deal from here to the finish as it is mostly detail with sharp pastel sticks. I apply a light layer of color onto the paper and then I work it into the background with a color shaper continuing this process until I get the color tone that I want.

Although I have spent 6 hrs on the painting today it has not progressed a lot visually........BTW the first birds body is about 2in or 50mm...about the size of an average Hens egg.

End of Day 3 and 6 hrs….14 hrs in Total

Mo...Well I have 2 ex's and on my third marriage...Well you see the first 2 were practice, I am a slooooooow learner just like I am a slooooow painter LoL

Dyin...If taking the time to explain means that someone gets some advantage from my explanation then the WIP has been a great success for me.

Tonii....I dont use a kneadable erase, I use a PaperMate Eraser which is a propelling type earser and you can buy refills for them. I cut the rubber on an angle to use it. Using a rubber will ruin the tooth and background of the paper so I am very carefull as to the pressure that I apply when using the rubber.

Cleaning the dust of the Birds....When applying the dust base coat I am not overly carefull as to where it goes as it is easy for me to remove the dust....it takes much longer to apply the dust right up to the edge of the image precisely and there is not a lot to be gained. There is very little dust to be blown off the work as the dust is worked into the background grain of the paper. I suggest that you make some pastel dust and rub it well into some vertical standing pastel paper with a tissue that has been folded to about a 1 inch square. After doing this run your fingers across the area and see just how much dust residue there is on your fingers.

The Cotton buds...I use them in the same principal as using a paint brush, I carry the pastel dust from the palett to the painting and apply the color to the work. I do not mix any dusts...they are straight dust colors off the pastel stick.

I will post a reference photo as soon I have finished each set of birds as there are 4 reference photos.

Seeyalata...Gaka