WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2003, 05:40 PM
A Local Legend
Lincoln, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Painting

Quote:
Originally posted by jocelynsart
Here is a photo of me scrubbing that thin layer over the arm; lightening and blending in that area.

Hi Joss

I see you scrubbing etc . How do you keep the paint wet on the canvas or board to do all that with acrylic paint. You mention you paint so thin it must dry in seconds. How do you keep the paint alive and not go hard. Do use a fair bit of retarder at all.

Inquiring minds want to know

Johnnie
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2003, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
She is beautiful Jocelyn,,,,BRAVO on a portrait very well done...
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2003, 07:15 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada
Thanks!
Hi Johnnie: The paint stays pretty slick long enough to do about 5-8 strokes. It is very very thin, transparent pigment about 50/50 water /pigment. It stays wet enough long enough for me to get the layer to do what I want. Primed masonite is very smooth and the paint has no where to really soak in right away so can be moved around on the surface for a bit before drying. Each layer I use is fine and also remains very smooth and sleek so blending the acrylic is easy within 20 secs or so. I also am constantly dabbing my brush into my mix every new application. I mix a bit at a time, re-adding constantly, keeping it wet while going back and forth to the area I am covering.
Canvass, I use my paint very sticky and dry, rubbing hard with the brush to drybrush and blend my areas. I lay lots of large shapes first on canvass. I still start monochromatically with the crimson/ochre mix though.
I don't use retardants as I liek acrylic for it's fast drying and drybrush properties. It suits the way I paint.
Joss

Last edited by jocelynsart : 09-21-2003 at 07:19 AM.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2003, 03:19 AM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada
Hi Joss!

I'm so glad I came in here!! This is a fantastic demo and I am learning so much! I paint in acrylics most of the time but haven't done very many portraits using them. (I usually paint wildlife)

I am bookmarking this for sure!

Thanks so much for doing this and sharing your talent and time!!

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2003, 05:07 AM
Cornwall, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Could someone tell me how 'bookmarking' works, please. I'd like to keep this thread.

Many thanks,
Ann
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2003, 07:40 AM
A WC! Legend
the sunshine coast

Hails from United Kingdom
Fabulous demo, Joss! I agree that you should definitely consider running this through the WC article publisher.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2003, 07:47 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada
H: I will be adding a Progress Pic today. I gave it a break yesterday.
To bookmark once you have the thread on your browser screen, go into Bookmarks on the top of your screen and choose Bookmark the Site. Then this URL for the thread will be saved and you just need to go to Bookmarks to click on it and come here.
Thanks Sandge!
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2003, 09:02 AM
A Local Legend
Lincoln, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Bookmark-Favourite

Hi

Yea some use Bookmark my browser says Favourites.

When reading this go to you Favourites/Bookmark click on it then click ADD.

You might want to make folders in your Fav/Book and call them stuf like. Watercolor another one called Acrylic. etc etc

Thats the drift of it like Joss said to.

Johnnie
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2003, 09:20 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada
More Progress

Johnnie: Thanks for making that clearer. I suck at computer type language stuff.
OK, here is my progress this morning. I have the arms pretty well done. I may strengthen some of the areas lighter or more colour and cooler in spots. We'll see.
I also am in the hair now and plan to try and have that part done this morn. In also corrected the eyelashes and some of the tones in her eye and above.
I have her strap on the shoulder to small an area compared to how much is visible in the reference. I tend to overdo hair volume and this is the main reason. I am going to leave it as I like how it appears so far. The colour is tricky because it is like one of those weird grey/pink neutrally nothing colours that one can not quite figure out how to achieve. I basically kept it one colour, th emain one, and am highlighting and washing itsy bitsy washes of pigment over areas that have some reflected colour.
Still have the cross to do. This is important becasue my sister is an Irish Celtic lover. She loves celtic jewellery and loves anything Irish, especially people. It is the one of the only backgrounds I think we don't have in our family too. We have so many! lol :-)
Attached Images

#70   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2003, 09:24 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
this is really coming to life...love the blouse color against the skin...

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2003, 09:28 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada
Close Up

Here is a closer look so that you can see the teeney little brush strokes that are building up the tones and colour.
I am using very thin, like a thin little skin of dampness with pigment in it, of paint off the very tip of my brush. It is almost a motion like drawing with a graphite pencil or pencil crayon. I go back and forth, "sketching" over the area with the thin pigment. I am using lights as well as some more pigmented mixes.
I am going against some advice I have been saying over and over and using an almost white mix to thinnly, almost transparently, cool down and neutralize in those very cool areas of the shoulder. Here though, it is deliberate so I know how to control it to do what I want. This "hazing" works well when you want that coolish cast, such as in those areas where the subdued light is hitting on the back of her shoulder and arm there.
You should be able to see, this close, some of the brush strokes on the angle I tend to always work on. I tend to go in one direction with my strokes, working outward into an area, over into a next area to blend the meeting spots. I tend ot not like to be too loose so I liek areas to visually blend but not totally. I still like a bit of painterly feel to my portraits. I love loose, but really am not good at it! lol So, I don't try and fight what comes naturally to my painting and gives me the most joy.
Joss
Attached Images

#72   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2003, 11:50 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada
Progress for the day

Here is how far I will be going today. I have done a bti on the hair but realized that I do need the background pretty well done to be able to do some of the parts of the hair.
I like the background in before the hair is done so that I can properly take the hair over the background and get the proper values in, especially those highlights. Hair I tend to treat 75% opaque, leaving the strongest highlight areas as shapes fitting in the worked areas. i can then bring the 2 things together with mids and highlights and darks. Highlights I then will strengthen as the last step, quite opaquely but hopefully not over darks.
I also liek to dab back in with the background between parts of the completed hair. This keeps things in varying levels of depth instead of doing one totally over the other and causing them to be flat, cut outs. The edges will blend and have different levels in spots, this way.
I cropped almost up to where I will be cropping the finished piece. I usually end up with 1 or 2 small spots I need to extend.
Joss
I am going to run out of letters in the alphabet to name the files soon. lol!
Attached Images

#73   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2003, 01:42 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
will like to see you fill in those spots...see how it blends in as you described before...better start using double letters lol!

#74   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2003, 02:23 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada
Lol!!!! I am going to crop in more, about 1/8" but I will need to dot in some spots around the edges.
lol! kylazzzz.jpg before I am done I think. I should do it by Sunday as that is the day we are seeing her for her Bday on the 29th.
I thought of buying a celtic patterned material and using that as part of the mat for the framing too. Maybe.
Joss
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2003, 03:53 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
ooh...that sounds nice on the mat...hey...have seen where they double mat, two colors and the top has a cut out of a design to show the lower mat...done nicely in a lower corner or something...another thought for you...