WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#106   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2013, 05:28 AM
North East England.

Hails from England
Re: P.A.L. (Paint-a-Long): Edges, lost and found, hard and soft....

Cindy, that's really excellent! What a super finish and I expect it to draw lots of comments when on display - well worth hanging!
And thank you very much for your comments.

Sandy, you are most welcome to join us anytime, it's our pleasure .... I'm so glad you found it all helpful .... and those dark areas are edges too , just lost one's
I hope the work is now on display too!

Lil, that's looking good. It's hot! I think you just need a bit more shadow on the two left apples, the top and far left, and perhaps the one in the pot. The dark area and lost parts of that front apple and pot are very good.

Susan! What can I say? Brilliant comes to mind! No probs with copyright, he's been gone a long time... but what a lovely version you've done ... now, how about your own set-up of flowers and apply your knowledge?

I really didn't expect this lesson to produce the excellent standard of work it has from everyone, so if you think it will be of value in future, please rate it!

Hope I haven't missed anyone (I know you've chosen another SL Meryl) ... I'm working from the tablet and it's not as easy as the desktop!!!

Happy start to the working week!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #107   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2013, 07:38 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Texas

Hails from United States

Maureen....The "excellent standard of work from everyone" is directly proportional to the excellent instruction from you! I rate it AAA!! I so enjoy these PALs, I hope we can continue them.

Meryl...Stunning finish!
Sandy...Glad you joined in. You're doing well. Keep listening to Maureen, she won't steer you wrong.
Lil...Your apples turned out really well. I agree, your painting looks hot!
Susan....Wonderful painting of the flowers! I may have to try that one myself
  #108   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2013, 08:41 AM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Thanks, Meggs, Maureen, and Cindy! Just had to have something to do yesterday...
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #109   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Mt High Utah

Hails from United States

Thanks for the comments. Maureen and Susan your work is inspiring. While checking out Vivien's lovely work I found the thread about Trouble painting with Interactives. Learned more from that info. I did put a binder on and scumbled on more paint trying to work toward more value change. This is a real learning experience. Will put more paint on when this dries, will try to work on those lost and found edges. Love seeing how everyone approaches these apples.
  #110   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2013, 02:46 PM

Great work everyone. I don't have time to comment individually but really well done to each one of you . I think this PAL has had the highest participation and thus has benefited more people. And I agree the quality of work has been great due to the quality of instruction. You should be very pleased Mum. I would give this the highest rating as well.
I look forward to seeing the gallery in the end.
  #111   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Omaha, NE

Hails from United States

I finally found time to work on this project and I have to say, what a challenge! Maureen, you truly found a perfect reference to practice lost and found/hard and soft edges, and blending. I can't forget blending! That was a challenge for me.

I'm not quite finished with mine but I have reached a point where I need to let it rest for a bit, before I do the final tweaking, and I want to get some feedback before I do. This is done on 9 x 12 cradled Museum board.

BTW, this is not quite the right color. It's overcast here today and it was hard to get a really good photo. I would appreciate any and all feedback. Just seeing it on screen, I can already see I need to clean up the edge of the pot. What else?

Meggs, the texture on your pot is fabulous! I have yet to add texture to mine so I'm going to use yours as a model.

Virginia, beautifully done! I like your addition of the stem to the top apple.

Cindy, Fantastic Finish! What a beauty!

Sandy, Take 3 looks great!

Lil, a lovely, warm painting!

Susan, your flowers still life is lovely! I love the sparkle in the table top!

Diane, you're off to a terrific start! I especially like your apple in the pot and the suggestion of the bottom stem end.
“If you’re not prepared to be wrong you’ll never come up with something original.” Sir Ken Robinson’s TED talk.
  #112   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Omaha, NE

Hails from United States

I'm going to try again at a more accurate photo.

This is a bit closer to real life.
“If you’re not prepared to be wrong you’ll never come up with something original.” Sir Ken Robinson’s TED talk.
  #113   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Still following you all and very impressed with the paintings that have emerged. Really extraordinary how well these have turned out. Maureen you should take a bow!

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #114   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2013, 08:15 PM
WC! Guide
New York City

Hails from Puerto Rico

Thank you Maureen for this month's challenge, enjoyed it. I will darken the areas you suggested. Wonderful paintings here already.
  #115   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Toronto, ON

Hails from Canada

Sandy - great to see you're still cracking at it. You're on the right track

Cindy - love the new version. Your apples are looking particularly well.
The flower pots are stunning! I can only hope to develop your mastery.

ArtsyMom - Thanks for joining us! I'd suggest adding a few more intermidiary shades mixed with a reddish brown - the black is a bit overpowering.

Desthers - nice start. I think yours will really start to pop soon.

Judy - interesting approach. I like what you've done with the background.

Here's my piece - it represents two nights' work. The first night I layed on a few preliminary glazes. The second night I focused more on the pot and the apple inside it. I think I'm starting to lose the soft edges on the pot. Any and all help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

#116   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 AM
London

Hails from United Kingdom

Susan wow! Those flowers - so accomplished!

Cindy, I love your apples. A really nice painting.

Desthers I like the texture of yours, look forward to seeing how you finish it.

Interesting Judy, you certainly have your own style - nice!

Hi Claire, it always surprises me how long painting takes. I thought I'd be finished with this one in no time. Yours is coming along nicely.

And here's how mine progressed ...

A layer of naphthol red light over the pencil sketch.

Another layer - Cadmium Yellow Deep, Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine Blue were the colours used.

The final version, same colours as before. Also some titanium white.

It's on 6*4 inch card, I had wanted this to be a preliminary sketch but I have so many paintings to finish off I'll leave it for the future (maybe!).

C&Cs very welcome - thanks!
  #117   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Omaha, NE

Hails from United States

I think I'm finished. I'll let this set for a while where I can look at it frequently and see if anything needs tweaking. What do you think?

It's still overcast here so I've played with the picture in Photoshop and this is as close to IRL as I can get it.
  #118   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2013, 01:02 PM

Great job everyone. So many new works
Judy and Geekette - I think you need to loose and darken the lower edge of the lower apple next to the pot to the shadow a bit. Otherwise, I like both of yours very much.
  #119   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2013, 03:57 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Sorry to be MIA for a couple of days - and today I've been gardening while the weather was reasonable

Diane - all the shapes are really good and already looking well-rounded in form but looking at this on the monitor it seems that the tones are all in the mid-range. I'm sure that when you increase the contrast by adding much darker tones and also much lighter ones for highlights, you'll see a dramatic difference.
I understand frustrations with the Interactives - I hated that they lifted when I tried blending etc, so now I use them in conjunction with the regulars - however, you do seem to be getting to grips with them - kudos to you!

Judy - all the shapes are pretty good and I appreciate you going for an individual style in wanting to keep the whole lot in a higher key
However, (depending on what you want!) the edges are almost all still rather hard ........ e.g that front apple stands out as very proud whereas in the ref the right side is mostly almost lost in shadow with a little reflected but subdued light on the shape ..... darkening that would unite apple and pot a lot more.
Similarly, darker tones to the right and base of the pot would direct attention towards the centre of the picture. The apple sitting on top of the others also has a much softer right side.
You have some really good 'skin' painting on those apples!

Claire - I do like the overall distribution of light and dark - very dramatic! As I said for Judy above, that front apple could probably stand being made darker and softer near the pot allowing its form to emerge just very subtly out of the shadows .... and again with the one above it - just a little softer darks on the right ...... the form of the apples (particularly that one) are excellent. The pot to is really good but if you could soften the hard edge of the very dark shadow, it would be even better

Tina - you've packed a lot into a really small space for this type of painting! It's good to see the stages - partic. stage 2 - and the final is very nice indeed. Love the pot! Well done!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #120   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Kudos to everyone! This was a great learning experience for me as well. It's hard to believe the month is almost gone.
My question now is, will we have another P.A.L. next month? Some of my best work has been doing these and I'm not sure I can do as well without y'all