WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Springfield Illinois

Hails from United States
Re: P.A.L. (Paint-a-Long): Edges, lost and found, hard and soft....

Very interesting figuring it out a bit will try to catch up just checked in apples it is
  #92   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2013, 01:47 AM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Thanks for all the lovely comments!
Maureen, he's doing much better thank you. Had a complete turnabout in the last 24 hours and is conscious, his prognosis is good and it's just wonderful.

Quote:
How do I create a darker value of a color like cad yellow medium? Something tells me that adding gray or black would not be correct, but I am not sure what to add.

On mine I used a bit of burnt umber and a bit of olive green to darken the cadium yellow since I had used both of those colors elsewhere in the painting. Sometimes I like to darken it with a bit of ultramarine and red ocher. You could make a sample sheet, showing how different combos darken it and which ones you like. I had to do that since I can't remember anything!
  #93   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2013, 09:59 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

That sounds very positive Virginia - fingers still crossed

Welcome Recycled!

Sandy - all my darks were made with the same palette throughout - add red to the yellow first, then black, a touch at a time ..... if you've used blue, you could add that; I tried Payne's Grey but didn't like the way it was mixing so used black (it's a colour I very seldom use, but it worked well for this painting).
When you add the black to the yellow first, and get green, it can throw you ... by adding red, you'd still get the required result though

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Florida

Hails from United States

Apples still life - take 2. Put the table in (completely forgot it in the first one) and tried to get some darker and lighter values in there as suggested. I can't help but think the apples just look bruised now (even more so when I look at the painting instead of the photo) so I must have used the wrong color and not blended enough. Still don't have the guts to put the ring on the pot!

"I think I'm painting a picture of two women, but it may turn out to be a landscape." - de Kooning
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Mt High Utah

Hails from United States

Wonderful learning experience with the terrific instruction first, then being able to see others WIP.
Here is my blockin using Chroma Interactive with water on 11x14 panel.
Still trying to get the hang of putting down the acrylic paint without removing the prior layer. I think I will seal this layer so I can scrub in some more shading.
  #96   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2013, 05:29 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Sandy - don't worry if the colours are not true to the ref ... they can be entirely your own choice!
Here's a suggestion ... lay a sealer coat of medium over the whole lot first (it makes it easier to wipe off any paint 'wrongly' placed ) then make a thin glaze of a reddish colour and paint over the whole lot - or just the fruit.

I tried it on the computer to give you an idea of how it could look - used a reddish colour then also an Alizarin Crimson type shade - both thin ........ it's just an idea so feel free to ignore it!

I also resized the image to make it easier to see

Desthers - I really like the looseness and freedom of this piece it has great vitality!
Those Interactives are not the easiest of mediums to use for layering, so I hope the sealer helps. Glad you could join us - look forward to the update

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #97   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2013, 07:51 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
120kms south of Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

I must apologize to all for not commenting on individual posts... Please dont think Im rude, just time is at a premium in the present.

Posted work is awesome from everyone, and I have learnt a lot just looking at how each individual approached this and palettes used.
Thank your all for the comments on mine, I truly appreciate your input and Mum your a treasure and a great teacher.
I was so thrilled with how mine turned out, I mounted the canvas leaf on a backing board and framed it... its now sitting on my buffet in my dining room.
Thank you all for a wonderful experience.

Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. (Thomas Merton)
C&C Most Welcome and Desired.
  #98   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2013, 10:10 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Thanks so much, Virginia and Tina!

Virginia...hope things are better for you and yours! Love your start! and your next update as well...I hated that apple in the pot, hard to get and keep it the 'right' shape...sigh.

Cindy...agree about the darks. They are usually my downfall...I almost have to force myself to keep darkening them, and fight to add more lights to my lights...sigh. Am always glad after the battle...

Oh Maureen....goodie!! tho' I did do my DS sort of in this style to keep practicing...lol...but it's eggs!

Sandy...you have guts for trying this...and I like it! As I told Cindy...it is so hard for me to do darks...but it so helps a painting have depth! If you put it on something and walk away from it...I think you will see that the 'bruises' turn into shadows. I take mine outside and sometimes walk away 20-30 feet...occasionally across the street to look at it. If I cannot see what it is, and there are no shadows, or highlights, I know I am not there yet...then I see how it looks as I walk towards it.

Desthers...I might hesitate on the sealer if the paint is not dry? I know interactives stay wet longer. Great looseness!
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Florida

Hails from United States

Apples still life - take 3. Thank you, Maureen, for the additional help. I see how more red makes a big difference. I forgot that the camera reads shadows much darker than the eye, so the brownish tones were all wrong for the apples. Understanding value in colors (rather than gray scale) is a challenge for me.

Thank you for all the feedback!

"I think I'm painting a picture of two women, but it may turn out to be a landscape." - de Kooning
  #100   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2013, 12:36 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Well done Sandy, I think it's looking really good don't you?
Have you finished yet?

**My SAA website**
  #101   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

I tried to make the adjustments suggested. Darkened the shadow side of the pot, a few more highlights, and a tweak here and there. I think I need to leave it alone now. I've painted and repainted too many times and I'm getting tired of looking at it. My husband really likes it, so I think I'll call it done. But any other suggestions would be appreciated for future reference. I enjoyed this exercise and I really appreciate the work Maureen put into this and the quality of her teaching!!Attachment 797434
Attached Images

#102   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2013, 05:10 PM
WC! Guide
New York City

Hails from Puerto Rico

This is a learning experience and I like what is here already. Had the sketch ready and did the painting today. Used the acrylics on acrylic paper. Started with the apples using cad. orange, some light yellow to blend the shape of the apples. Had a tube of acrylic interactive black and applied it to the outer areas as well to darken the pot and apples. Finished the pot with some touches of the cad. orange.
  #103   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Florida

Hails from United States

Maureen - I added a touch more red onto the far left apple (in a spot I had missed) and decided to call it done. After using so much red, I now feel confident I could paint peaches! It's a bit ironic that the thread was about edges, and I managed to handle those. It was the shading/shadows which were the most difficult. Your help was what made the difference, Maureen, and I'm most grateful.

Susan - Thank you for reminding me to step away! I usually look from about 6-8 feet, but I had my husband hold it about 20 feet away and I walked towards it. This helped me see I had missed a spot on one apple. And it also made be feel good about painting in a way I couldn't when I was just 12 inches from it.

Cindy - Your last posting mesmerized me. You handled the transition from light to shadow so masterfully. And the ring on the pot really looks like iron - wow.

Finally, thank you everyone for welcoming me to WC and this wonderful thread. I'm an English professor by day and a budding painter by night, so it's really an honor to be among professional/very experienced artists.

#104   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2013, 10:56 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Sandy...looks good!! I never used to spend any time standing back...and find it really really helps me.

Cindy....wow!! Love your pot!! and your apples did not grow like mine did! Nice!

Lil...such yummy apples!

I took Maureen at her word, and had a go at one of the other photos... Not sure it would be the one she'd expect tho'...

I just loved the painting by Emil Carlson...so I had a go at the general idea of it. I think it is different enough to not cause any issues... It is on 12x9 recyled bristol paper that I found on sale at an art store near here.

The first two are at about 20 minute intervals, and then a few more touch ups later this evening. Am reasonably happy with it...might do more if it was on canvas...but not sure how nit-picky I'll get with paper.

This one actually looked this blurry before I went back at it...not sure I could paint blurry if I wanted to....lol

"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #105   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2013, 02:54 AM
120kms south of Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Just a quick pop in while I wait for yet another Estate Agent. More awesome post to see...

Suz this is tops, love everything about it. I fell in love with the "Jade Fox" image. Mum put to grey scale... Its my next project on 8x10cm canvas.. Already have a frame for it to sit on my buffet along with my fruit. Gotta balance it out dont I

Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. (Thomas Merton)
C&C Most Welcome and Desired.