WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2003, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Crumby Sparrows

Hey All,
Started this last night . . .it's from a photo in the Ref Library taken by Bevsbigsis. Never thought of sparrows as particularly beautiful but this photo took me. The colours in the original background and the pine needles are not the same as I have used here . .using artistic licence by incorporating more greens and oranges which are somewhat complimentary and they do seem to "pop" a bit more. Also maximising the backlighting effect by ensuring the background around the sparrows head is quite dark giving greater contrast and thus greater impact from the focal area. having a lot of fun with this one.
All comments welcome as I'm learning more and more about colour and composition here. Slowly developing an "artists eye" but still a long way to go (the more I learn, the more I realise I don't know much)
Cheers
Crumby

First the ref pic

Where I'm up to

and a close up

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2003, 07:44 AM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States
I so look forward to viewing your work! And this one is no exception.
COming along fine...looking forward to the update!

Sandy
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2003, 07:49 AM
Lord of the Arts
Depends on the Day!

Hails from United States
Looking good Mat!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2003, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
London

Hails from England
It's gonna be another stunner
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2003, 08:55 AM
Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Hails from Australia
This is completely awesome, Can't wait to see the finished painting

'I am still learning' ~ Michelangelo
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2003, 09:05 AM
Enthusiast
Devon, England

Hails from United Kingdom
Well Crumby, I can see that this is gonna be another GREAT picture!!! I love seeing your work !!

Look forward to seeing this progress.

Marcia
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2003, 10:02 AM
upstate New York, USA

Hails from United States
Wow, this is just fabulous. I have a soft spot for sparrows myself, as that was the nickname of a kitty I very recently lost to breast cancer ... this just tugged at my heartstrings. A true honor to the little birds who posed for the piccie.

Might I ask for a brief explanation of your methods for such gorgeous detail?

Marvelous, congrats. Hope to see some of the updates as the painting progresses.

--Gayze
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2003, 10:09 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Plant City, Fl 33563

Hails from United States
This man's work just amazes me. WOW What talent
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2003, 11:26 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
dreamy background. The birds are coming along well too...I like seeing someone else work from the top down...I tend to drag stuff through the finished work if I don't work that way...going to be a stunner...most important is that you're feeling the energy as you go!

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2003, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
The Hague

Hails from Netherlands
As always, the jaw is already on the floor........... Your work is amazing. I wish I had your patience and eye for detail...

How do you stay so focused? I have immense trouble with detail, because my attention gets pulled to different parts all the time. This makes it impossible to get anywhere near the detail I would like...

Looking forward to seeing your progress !

Katja
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2003, 03:30 PM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Hi Sir! I had that pic earmarked too... but will leave it to your better skills... I'm really glad you've chosen to do the humble sparrow... they are such beautiful little birds.....did you know that they are becoming an endangered species? Although we have loads of them in our garden, noisy little beggars they are too... we have five nest boxes in the garden and each one has been taken by the sparrows, now on their third brood. LOL

Keep going sir... it's going to be a cracker.!

Cheers,
Mo.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Southeast Georgia

Hails from United States
Wonderful work as always! Your detail is amazing.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2003, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for looking and the supportive comments.

Gayze: Well yes they were kind to pose for the photo, unfortunately I can't take the credit there . . Bevsbigsis deserves all that. As for an explanation of my method, the best thing I can do is point you to Gaka's Article on the right side of the pastels forum page. Although we differ slightly nowadays in our technique (not much) that's a great start . .and there's no-one better to learn off than Gaka if you want detail.

Dyin: I don't always work top down but am trying to on this one. Usually go al over the place.

katrem: Normally I'll try and do the background first . . . but I've got to admit I need a lift every now and then through the painting . .so I do a bit of boring bit (Background) then some more interesting bit (sparrow) . .that way it keeps my interest up . . even to the point when I get to tedious bits on the sparrow, I'll digress and do the eye for a bit of a pick-me-up. Little things like that keep me going.

Mo: Sorry mate . .beat ya to it!! he he . . seriously you should still do it . . it IS a nice pic. Endangered?? ..the sparrow . .well I never!!

OK a bit of a WIP update. After about 6-8 more hours. Sorry about the quality of the photos, the colour is wrong due to the fact that it was taken under a flouro at 11:40pm . . plus my tripod is broken so it's hand held . . hard to get clear macro photos hand held.

This first pic is just the bird (I've done a little more background off to the left but ya don't wanna see that).

Next is the close up . .I measured it and this is about 1.5 times actual size. Bit blurry so the detail doesn't show up as well . . but you can see for a supposedly boring bird there's oranges, creams, greens and blues in there as well as the browns. I kinda like sparrows now

OK will keep you all posted
Gonna be a long one this . . .and it's Monday in about 15 minutes!! WHAAAAAAAAHHH
Cheers
Crumby
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2003, 10:25 AM
Enthusiast
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Hails from Australia
whoa... it is so hard to imagine this is done in pastel. The detail is amazing. Fantastic work

www.geocities.com/hollys_art
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2003, 11:04 AM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States
I'm speechless. Every time I see your work, I'm in awe. Lovely subject matter and the detail, as always, astounds me.

You really have done an exceptionally fine job on the feathers. Thanks for sharing the close up.

Crumby, Enjoy the fun of painting this!!! Keep us posted - we're all very interested.

Barb

www.MorninNoonanNight.com