WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Lincolnshire

Hails from England
Re: Playing with the Angels - WIP

You have already made a great job on the strings Chris, including the bends where the fingers are plucking, so all you have to do now is colour them in!
Seriously, whatever straight edge you used has worked fine, the only tip I can offer is to use a straight edge with the lowest profile possible ( i.e. the thinnest material, it doesn't have to be a ruler ) so that you can see exactly where the extremely sharp pencil point you will be using is without a shadow being cast over it which can occur with a thicker instrument.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 04:37 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOSESLAWN
You have already made a great job on the strings Chris, including the bends where the fingers are plucking, so all you have to do now is colour them in!
Seriously, whatever straight edge you used has worked fine, the only tip I can offer is to use a straight edge with the lowest profile possible ( i.e. the thinnest material, it doesn't have to be a ruler ) so that you can see exactly where the extremely sharp pencil point you will be using is without a shadow being cast over it which can occur with a thicker instrument.

Ahhhhh......, I see John. Thank you so much, you probably saved me from a bit of trouble there. Low profile straight edge, that makes sense. My biggest problem after that is the background behind the strings, not sure what color. I do have to keep it very dark I think, as the harp itself is a light blonde colored wood, and the strings (at least most of them) are of a light value.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger? Isn't that what they say?
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 04:58 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Thanks so much Barbara. I see that, you are right that something is a bit off, and it turns out I think it's the angle of that eye (her right, our left). The angle of the top line of the eyelashes needed a tweak, I think I got it. Measuring came up fine for the location, and when I really scrutinized it, the angle was off. Let me know what you think when I post another update.

Hey Ruthie, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I just don't know how it will look as I've never done this before. I don't plan on showing every string, at least not strongly. Just glimmers of light, hopefully that will work. And I'm leaning toward a dark background, at least at the bottom left section, not the whole background dark.

Thanks very much Sarah. When I do hair, I sort of work back and forth where the skin meets the hair. I tread carefully(I do have a light touch which helps) and work back and forth between the skin tone and hair strands, changing pencils constantly. As far as what to paint first, I really have to make sure this angel looks perfect before tackling the harp. It's really the strings I'm not sure about, but the harp I think should be fine. Keep your fingers crossed .....

Back to work now.... I put in her hair and now I'm starting the scarf on her head.....
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 05:03 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Portugal

Hails from Portugal

Thanks Chris , and you see, you do have the confidence to know that you will make a beautiful job of ths strings really
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
Marin Co., California

Hails from United States

Chris-

I was thinking about the strings- you've had some good suggestions. I also realized, it is a similar problem I had when painting a watercolor painting of the Golden Gate Bridge. I intially painted straight lines for the vertical cables and hated it- too much attention was drawn to them, and not the rest of the bridge.

I redid the painting, and ended up with a "broken" vertical line- not painting the whole line, but "skipping" with the paintbrush so the line was more like irregular "dashes". I varied where the "dashes" were between the cables so it didn't look to regular. It worked well, and actually gave some depth to the cables. This might be something to try on a scrap piece for those strings?

I agree with your comment about keeping the area behind the strings dark- it would set off the harp beautifully!

Good luck with those strings!

Barbara
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 05:29 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Exactly, Barbara, I called them glimmers of light. To get that I would break up the lines so they're not as obvious, but you know they are there. That is my plan anyway, I'm thinking it will work.

I'm doing her scarf right now, and the husband wants it red and white (that is what is was IRL), I have no leeway on that. I have a question: How do you make red not a focal point ? Thank goodness it's on her head, so her face is right there next to it. It does look nice though, I have to admit. Hopefully it will all work out.....
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 07:40 PM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

wow, beautiful already! Red and white scarf, Im sure you'll figure out how to make it work. (lots of help I am! NOT) Since its on her head, it may work out perfect to add to focal area. Going to be fun to watch this. Now you have more pressure with all of us "watching" you LOL.

Come join us in the Southwest/Western forum
My art blog
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Lord of the Arts
Saint John N.B. Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi Chris this is really shaping up I agree that her right eye what shows is ever so slightly hiher than should be The eyelash however looks okay. About The strings I like Ruthies idea but I am quite sure I wouldn't be able to pull that off either. lol. Is it just me but I am seeing her face colouring as looking some what rashy looking. I kind of hate pointing something out to artists that are so much better than myself. But i know how important this is to you and just maybe I am correct.
David
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

This is going to be wonderful Chris - easy does it, one step at a time, deep breath ... good suggestions on the strings. Bg first, strings last.

Cheering you on.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 09:47 PM
California

Hails from United States

Gorgeous so far. I would love to see the finished masterpiece.

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2011, 12:13 AM
Tampa, Fl

Hails from United States

Chris,

As usual, this is great. I like your placement of the cool neutrals. Can't wait to see the progress.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2011, 03:22 AM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from United Kingdom

Chris, try using a darker red than you think the scarf should be, or mute it a little with some green. I have done this with red in an otherwise harmonious coloured piece and it still shone out but did not jar the eye as a pure red may have done. The white, of course, does not have to be white............

Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2011, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

This is going so well Chris, but what a difficult subject and so many restrictions. Can't wait to see how you solve the problems. Maybe a vignette either dark or light might help solve many of them???

Dale
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2011, 07:36 AM
A WC! Legend
Georgia

Hails from United States

already takes my breath~
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2011, 10:38 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Thanks very much Ron. I think the red scarf is going to work, you are right about it being on her head. Not really a distraction, it really works well with her very dark hair. No pressure really , you guys wouldn't do that to me would you????

Thank you David. Believe it or not I do think it was the angle of the eyelashes on her right eye that was off, it can take the smallest thing to make the biggest difference when it comes to portraits. Hopefully I'm right. Her skin doesn't look 'rashy' IRL, maybe it's the camera picking up all the warm reds and pinks I used. I do tend to use a lot of warm tones when painting portraits. I hope it looks okay now, I think I got a pretty good pic.

Thanks so much for your vote of confidence Kat. Truly appreciated. The best advice I've gotten so far is yours - "breathe" . I gotta remember to do that!

Thank you Blondgirl, I don't know about a masterpiece, but I'm workin' on it!

Thanks so much Corey. Nice to see you back!

Hey Ruthie, thanks so much! I'm using every red pencil I own, plus violets and blues. And no true white, I rarely if ever use it. Maybe for the last highlight on an eye or a highlight in a still life. Her shirt will be a study in "whites", using no white, it is a white shirt. I cannot deviate from the colors, the hubby told me what color everything was (I'm working from a black and white photo).

Thanks very much Dale. I know it sounds like a lot of restrictions, but the photo itself is old but an excellent composition. Great 'bones', so to speak. And the colors he wanted (what it was in real life actually) of the items in my mind seem fine, which is why I agreed to it (and other reasons as well). I'm not sure how I'm going to resolve this as it goes foreward. Sometimes things just resolve themselves as I plod along, hoping for that same resolution here. Thinking positive!

Thanks so much Angie, what a nice thing to say!