WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 01:39 PM
A Local Legend
Willow Grove, Matthews, NC

Hails from United States
The Reading Hour..... WIP Xpost pastels

This is my , my GD.... who is SOOOO proud she can read now that she's 5..... AND write, may i add .... i get wonderful "love you, nonny" notes.... so this is a formal portrait ('group' portrait) with her favorite friends... i can see i need to fix the left chair leg, finish her eyes, hands, book, the little tiger... the pillow.... what do YOU see needs doing?? and any recommendations for background.... or do i let her float??? .... i'm touchy, since i'll have to come in around all the animals... or just do a far wall, a kind of oval around them???? ..... hmmmmmm..... obviously, need suggestions!!!
8x10 soft pastels, pastel pencils on canson
thanx for looking ....... Nonny Kordelia
"An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl she used to be. A great artist can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is... and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be..." R. Heinlein via Jubal Harshaw re LaBelle Heaulmiere by Rodin
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands
Re: The Reading Hour..... WIP Xpost pastels

Sooooo lovely and caring, she can be proud to have such a sweet nonnie. Including all the favourite animals. Beautiful!!!
Your color of the paper is the color that suited most with the lioness on the computer, or white, so I just wait an see what happens.
I would use an oval matt around it. Perhaps some indication of a wall and floor behind her, and on the floor some shadow of the chair, not too much. Don't hang me for it, I'm not an expert in this.

My Blog Joanna's Art

Last edited by YYcat : 04-03-2006 at 03:40 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
North Carolina

Hails from United States

This is great! I'm surprised you haven't done a portrait of her before....Interested to see how you do the background, since that's a puzzle to me too.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 08:28 PM
A WC! Legend
FLORIDA

Hails from United States

You do need a bg or she will be floating with all her fav friends. Not much of one but a slight indication of a floor...wall...something. Play a bit in PS or on another sheet of paper to get an idea. And an oval would be the best choice for sure!
I love it. Make sure to pm me when it's all done.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2006, 05:56 PM
A Local Legend
Willow Grove, Matthews, NC

Hails from United States

ok... in the home stretch, another hour .... still no ideas about a b/g.... am definitely going to stick it in an oval tho.... it's crying out for it!!.... what about the book.... i'm thinking of 'bluing' the green a bit....a fade in...... hmmmmm all suggestions appreciated.............. Kor
"An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl she used to be. A great artist can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is... and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be..." R. Heinlein via Jubal Harshaw re LaBelle Heaulmiere by Rodin
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2006, 05:41 AM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States

My suggestion for a background is to show some light shadows on floor and that is all. I think it is really great. Sandra