WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2020, 07:57 AM

Good to submit work for ANY art competition?

I am looking to enter some art competitions (especially online). I was wondering if some of them could actually be detrimental to an artists reputation? For example I was just looking at ‘Colors of Humanity Art Gallery’ and a brief scan of some of the past winners, they seem to have no web presence at all. They mostly sound Russian also.
There seem to be a lot of sites with monthly online competitions. How choosy should you be?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2020, 04:06 PM
Reno

Hails from United States
Re: Good to submit work for ANY art competition?

It's a toughy.

Usually these shows are a cash grab. for the people doing them online. Overhead is minimal for them and there are tons of desperate artists and artists without business savvy to exploit.

Your best bet for advertising to to put on your politicians hat and go out to meet and greets. Introduce yourself, what you do, and network like a mofo
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2020, 02:48 AM

The short answer is: very. Due diligence will save you a lot of grief later. There are reputable sites that aggregate competitions. This is the one I use:
https://www.callforentry.org/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2020, 07:14 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I would only enter competitions where you get something more than posted on someone else's site. Like money and exposure to buyers you could not access otherwise. I have come to be wary of any competition hosted by a gallery as opposed to an organization of some type. Many galleries use competition fees as income. One in Hudson, NY is constantly running competitions and is located in a small town in a tiny gallery, for instance.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2020, 10:06 AM
Immortalized
Southern Indiana

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
I have come to be wary of any competition hosted by a gallery as opposed to an organization of some type. Many galleries use competition fees as income.

It's really dependent on the gallery, IMO. A lot of very reputable galleries hold competitions because it's a good way to create buzz and get traffic into the gallery. If you have 60 pieces in the gallery by 60 different artists, that's going to bring a lot more traffic than a solo show by one guy with maybe 15 friends. Galleries are usually all about "feet through the door".

One thing to look for that I think it key is the entry fee. If it's reasonably low (20 - 35 dollars) and the gallery looks legit and has a good web presence and is in a good location? Then it's probably OK.

If they want $60 or more per piece entered, it's a cash grab.

Keith J. Hampton's Website
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2020, 08:26 AM

Thanks for all the feedback... ‘cash grab‘ yes that's probably the keyword for many of them. And artists without business savvy, that's me unfortunately. But one can still learn a few things. Some good advice here thanks again to everyone.
redfang the link you gave looks interesting. Lots of international competitions though all of them look based in the USA. I live in Spain (originally from the UK) so on the whole I will probably only be looking at online competitions otherwise having works returned AFTER an exhibition/competition is going to be a headache. The Artists Magazine Annual Art Competition looks like a good one. is this a well known competition? I would imagine it is and are there many around in the same sort of league?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2020, 04:10 AM

Yeah, the Artists' Magazine competition is legitimate. I'd expect the competition to be fierce. This will sound "old school, " but go to a bookstore and check out their art magazines. I found "The Art of Watercolour" at B&N and it had quite a lot of international competitions listed (and has one of their own). See if you can find any art organizations in your area to join. They might have juried shows where you can get exposure and experience.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2020, 12:16 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Yes, I have wondered about this topic lately. I received an email invite for a show in a large city not far from me. I went to their website to view examples of their art. It did not seem a good fit for me. I wonder why they invited me.