WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2005, 05:29 PM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Self Portrait Nude Standing WIP

Sketch: Oil on paper.

Its part of my resoloution to try and do one a week. Not necessarily all nude though. COmments welcome

Last edited by MarkMark : 01-11-2005 at 05:35 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2005, 09:51 PM
New Hampshire

Hails from United States
Re: Self Portrait Nude Standing WIP

sounds like it would be difficult to do! since you are painting at the time and looking at yourself, how did you get your arms, or did you just guesstimate, because they seem a little off. remember the elbows come down to your waist. the rest seems good, except the expression on your face looks a little flat, like a doll, I'm no expert so I wouldnt know how to fix that. have fun with your self portraits, they are never easy!

~Nikki
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2005, 10:33 PM
A Local Legend
Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMark
Its part of my resoloution to try and do one a week. Not necessarily all nude though. COmments welcome
That's a good idea if you can do it, accuracy will come with practice. Think more about the composition how you place the figure will play a role in the success of the painting.

The head looks like it is ducking under the edge of the picture plane as it descends. I know you are trying to get some rythym going but you need space around your head humans don't like being crushed. I can see you have put a twist in the body but it still looks stiff you could put the non painting arm on your hips to break up the pose more and exaggerate the twist even more than you have with perhaps one limb raised slightly. This will introduce more movement and make it lively to look at. The concentrated gaze is part of the self portrait ethos and I like it over the vacuous smiles one gets from photo portraits which every client loves. I prefer the truthful scrutiny.

If the composition and proportions are believeable the painting will work, the proportions don't have to be classically correct just believeable.

Last edited by ArtistOz : 01-11-2005 at 10:35 PM. Reason: quotes
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2005, 11:33 AM
A WC! Legend
Carolina Coast

Hails from United States

Mark... I've never tried a self-portrait so I can only imagine the difficulty and issues to deal with. I plan to do one this year as a New Year's resolution... we'll see if it happens... don't hold your breathe.

Some proportions are off but I don't mind that because this reminds me of work by one of my favorite artists... Amedeo Modigliani. Are you familiar with his work? Check some out here:
http://www.abcgallery.com/M/modigliani/modigliani.html

I like you color choices and painterly style.

Bernie
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Hawkesbury, west of Sydney

Hails from Australia

Mark, is that one self portrait a week? sounds like a pretty good plan.
I like the way you have handled this, the colours, expressiveness and natural look. Not sure about your light source... the lights and shadows on the arms don't seem to be consistent with the face.

Mac