Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting North daylight?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Hello,

I was just reading Richard Schmid’s book and he mentions “north daylight” several times when talking about sources of cool light.

What is it please?

It’s not an expression I’ve ever heard here.

shαdoω

It’s light that comes through a northern window of your house.
        The sun rises in the east and sets in the west and, if you live in the northern hemisphere, the sun will pass overhead slightly to the south. So, light entering from the north will be reflected light from the sky.

Ribera

An easy one: The sun’s never in the northern sky,
            period.
            Thus, if your illuminating window faces north,
            essentially, the sun’s never there, thus the direc-
            tion of the light’s always unaltered.
            Elsewise, as referred to, the sun rising in the
            east, setting in the west, the sun moves across
            the sky there, thus, the angle of the light alters
            every few hours.
            Try painting anything from a window not any-
            where but north, and the angle of the sun’s rays
            shift so dramatically, you’ll need cease the work
            after a few hrs.
            On the other hand, though, from a north-facing
            window (“the artist’s window”), that light angle
            remain unaltered. All ya then need be concerned
            with is the intensity of the light (and that’s Mother
            Nature; no window can affect that).
            r

WFMartin

I believe that “north light” is usually considered to be a relatively cool light source, as well as being very consistent.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Anonymous

Yeah I think it is because your main source of illumination is usually the blue sky.
                    I always seek shade when painting plein air and I have heard it recommended that it is best to wear a light sky blue shirt because the light hitting you, which is sometimes direct sunlight, will reflect the “correct” color light upon your painting, whereas, for instance, a red shirt may cast a redness upon your painting surface.

Ribera

3/13/13, Quote from Charlie:
                        if you live in the northern hemisphere, the sun will
                        pass overhead slightly to the south

I’m frankly unaware of what the meaning of that
                        is.
                        The sun’s never in the northern sky, in every
                        hemisphere, period.
                        Also, the tone of natural light always partakes of
                        the color of nature.
                        r

Anonymous

hemisphere, period.

Are you sure ?

dirtysteev

hemisphere, period.

Incorrect. The closer you live to the north pole the more northern sun you receive in summer.

Don Ketchek

Oooh, I guess art and science don’t mix!!

If you live in the northern hemisphere – north of the Tropic of Cancer, and below the Arctic Circle, the sun is always in the southern sky. So, if the light in your studio is entering through north facing windows, there will be no direct sunlight and the light will be more consistent through the day – one reason artists prefer it. I have usually heard it referred to as “north light” rather than “north daylight,” but that’s a minor point. Sometimes artists just say that they prefer north facing windows in their studio.

If you live between the latitudes of the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn, you sun will appear in both the southern and northern sky depending on the time of year. If you live between the Tropic of Capricorn and the Antarctic Circle (in the southern hemisphere), then the sun will always appear in the northern sky.

So if you live south of the Tropic of Capricorn, you might want the windows in your studio getting south light.

I hope I’m right. Maybe some of our southern hemisphere folks will chime in!

Don

llawrence

Yes, that’s right.

I think a lot is made of the “special quality” of northern light – but to me, the important thing about northern light is that it remains consistent (as mentioned in this thread) through much more of the day. With my current window setup, the quality of the sunlight changes dramatically several times a day. In my last place, with primarily northern light (ooh, how I miss it!) I could keep painting through the day without having to make big adjustments.

Ron Francis

[I]3/13/13, Quote from [B]Charlie:[/B]
                                            if you live in the northern hemisphere, the sun will
                                            pass overhead slightly to the south[/I]
                                            I’m frankly unaware of what the meaning of that
                                            is.
                                            hemisphere, period.

Don is right.
                                            In Australia the sun is due north at midday and has a altitude of around 57 degrees at this time of the year, so we would want south facing windows in a studio.

Ron
                                            www.RonaldFrancis.com

Anonymous

It’s light that comes through a northern window of your house.
                                                The sun rises in the east and sets in the west and, if you live in the northern hemisphere, the sun will pass overhead slightly to the south. So, light entering from the north will be reflected light from the sky.

Charley, since you are in Norway, this one applies to you.
                                                If you move down under then this would reverse, along with the
                                                spiraling direction of water going down a drain :D

mv-Frank

It’s interesting the conversation that has developed here. I think most of it is well intentioned and the information submitted is insightful.
                                                    I think the most understood idea behind “northern light” is that for most of the daylight hours, a consistent cool light is coming in from a northernly direction; thus the lighting on your subject matter and painting is indirectly from the sun, providing a full spectrum of light, which is very hard to get from artificial means, as mentioned above.
                                                    mv-Frank

Thank you,

I think the simple answer is….. “not direct sunlight”

terryb31

it is a cool light source that stay truest during the day. you can us west light if painting in the morning east light in the afternoon. or north light all day. south light is the most unstable.

I accept and respect all schools of painting which have as their basis the sincere study of nature, the search for the true and the beautiful. As for the mystics, the impressionists, the pointillists, etc., I don't see the way they see. That is my only reason for not liking them.

- Bouguereau

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘North daylight?’ is closed to new replies.