Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio Northern Cardinal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Becky Foster

I’m pretty sure I’m finished with this – 12″x12″ Holbein and Sennelier oil pastels on Fredrix watercolor canvas. The values and color intensity were tricky in this one. Do you think it works? Comments and critiques welcome!

beckrobbins.com
        instagram

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

laika

What a handsome fella! I like the dramatic lighting on the bird. The branch and the background are also very done. Outstanding!

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
            - Otto Rank

Rich A

Works for me. Those reds and complimenting background really works. Beautiful.

Beautiful!

Christel

SarahY

Certainly does work, this is by far the best painting of a cardinal that I’ve ever seen. I love anything with values ranging from almost-black to almost-white, so the intensity of the lighting and value range works perfectly for me.

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                    \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                    Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

Becky Foster

Certainly does work, this is by far the [B]best [/B]painting of a cardinal that I’ve ever seen.

This is a super kind comment Sarah – thank you! I checked out your paintings and I’m sooooo impressed. Powerful!

Thanks to All for the kind and thoughtful comments :heart:

beckrobbins.com
                        instagram

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

Becky Foster

[attach]859511[/attach]

[attach]859512[/attach]

[attach]859513[/attach]

[attach]859515[/attach]

beckrobbins.com
                            instagram

terriks

Beautiful work, Becky! :clap: I love your palette here, the feather detail and also your amazing background. Thanks for coming back to include your WIP photos.

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

amazing picture:thumbsup: how you did the eye? with some scrap tools?

critique is welcome
                                department of graphite
                                limited english :)

laika

Ah, thank you fotr the progression shots! Did you use a solvent in the earliest stage?

Lamar

- Otto Rank

Becky Foster

amazing picture:thumbsup: how you did the eye? with some scrap tools?

I use a small, firm, chisel-angled Colour Shaper tool. I think it’s a size 2 – I bought it so long ago and the # wore off the handle so I don’t know for sure. I got it at Dick Blick. Thank you for the kind words :heart:

beckrobbins.com
                                        instagram

Becky Foster

Ah, thank you fotr the progression shots! Did you use a solvent in the earliest stage?

No solvent, but I do like to scrape back my initial layers with a little flat square of plastic. (it’s actually a Pampered Chef pan scraper I won as a door prize or something at a Pampered Chef party long long ago :)

You’re welcome for the wip shots!

And thank you for the kind words, Terri :heart:

beckrobbins.com
                                            instagram

laika

No solvent, but I do like to scrape back my initial layers with a little flat square of plastic. (it’s actually a Pampered Chef pan scraper I won as a door prize or something at a Pampered Chef party long long ago :)

I think I know exactly the tool you describe. Yes, I can imagine how that would work exceptionally well as an OP scraper. That’s very useful info. Thanks!

Lamar

- Otto Rank

sykirobme

This is gorgeous!

E-J

Hi Becky. Really strong painting. I love that eye!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.