WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Hails from United States
Heated City

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Heated City
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This abstract was an exercise in harmonious color. The design was meant to be simple. The work was done mostly with painting knives, and a few final touches with my finger.

Of note, I took critical steps to ensure color correctness of this photographic reproduction, including the use of a gray card calibration of the white balance on an even lighting, large light source (ie. cloudy) day with the photograph taken immediately after calibration. I was also careful with other aspects of color management. Shortly stated, the color you see here is likely going to be pretty accurate if your monitor is calibrated.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please comment at will. I'm mostly looking for overall impression, but any specific comments are quite welcome.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2011, 09:24 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Heated City

Please put this entry in the Structured Critique forum.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Washington

Hails from United States

I am drawn to this painting a lot. The yellows and orange are powerful colors who both think they are the star of the show. The yellow draws me ...more, I think.

Also I am a little offed by the group of three somewhat balanced as I am not sure what I am supposed to focus on.

As I said the yellow calls louder to me and it is about in the 1/3 areas ...so I turned it upside down to see what it looked like and think it may have merit to consider.

Art and Imagination of David L Friend
Dave Friend
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2011, 01:21 AM

Hails from United States

Ah, Davefriend hit it on the nose! I have considered presenting it upside down exactly as you show it. In fact, I accidentally photographed it that way! (I had to rotate the image 180 degrees). So you have actually rotated it back! Anyway, that is part of why I haven't signed it yet. I'm not sure which orientation I like better myself.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Washington

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Reuben
Ah, Davefriend hit it on the nose! I have considered presenting it upside down exactly as you show it. In fact, I accidentally photographed it that way! (I had to rotate the image 180 degrees). So you have actually rotated it back! Anyway, that is part of why I haven't signed it yet. I'm not sure which orientation I like better myself.
I did look for the signature thinking 'point of no return' or not?

Art and Imagination of David L Friend
Dave Friend
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2011, 06:28 AM
Amsterdam, europe

Hails from Netherlands

Upside down it looks great as well. Davefriend: besides that it looks like you did alterations by making the reds darker, did you?

I'd put in a little more light-and-dark contrast. (make it darker towards the bottom, eventually with alizarine crimson, or maybe even something black/brownish to create some tension.