Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Cool stuff you’ve discovered and Tips and Tricks

• This topic has 1,178 replies, 447 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by txomsy.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,175 total)
  • Author

http://www.artlex.com Art lexicon site

Using plexiglass/masonite for flat paintings (thanks John aka Kingfisher and SiennaSand)

Payne’s grey + Lemon Yellow = great green

Blue painters tape – that barely sticky tape house painters use to trim out rooms – hardware store item (like masking tape)

Acid free plastic bags w/ sticky strip

Punching holes thru a value chart for comparisons

WetCanvas

Please share:)

Rosemarie

Great thread!
        But what is Blue painters tape ? As I am not familiar with all american or english expressions could you please explaine?

Use masking tape when masking larger areas or straight lines.

Rosemarie
        http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/06-Dec-2003/2623-Ros_ikon.jpg http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/06-Dec-2003/2623-katten_ikon.jpg http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/06-Dec-2003/2623-Grandportal_ikon.jpg http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/06-Dec-2003/2623-Docka_ikon.jpg http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/06-Dec-2003/2623-Cindyfin_ikon.jpg http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/0

Thanks Karen what a good girl you are ,great site Alan

SCOTLAND

Wetting the back of 300lb paper….:D, thanks Sienna

boarsrock

I wish that I could say I had a handful of tips, but I’m hanging on every piece of advice that goes through here too. What I will add is mental.

To any other newcomers/novices… I sat and stared at a kit of watercolors for two years (next to my PC. Every time I’d get on the net, there they were. I didn’t want to touch them for several reasons. I didn’t want to waste them, use them up and ultimately I was afraid of what monstrosities (sp?) I would produce rather than the first one being a masterpiece.

The tip from me is not to be timid. There isn’t any failure, only the experience to take you to the next level. Throw paint, splash water, trash a few works and keep going. The spiritual joy I’m finding now makes my original fears so miniscule.

As far as tools… maybe a belt sander and a sandblaster (ha ha).

I love this place. Thanks for the thread Karen. I’ll be printing all the responses out for my file!

Here is something I only heard about last week from an art instructor.

Watercolor paper really only has one “good” the side where you can read the water or emboss mark. The other side is considered the back of the paper.

The Best,

Javier

Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson 1st Viscount
            29 Sept 1758 – 21 Oct 1805 (age 47)

Im with the latter part of Boarsrock, Paint like a Millionaire Ive said it many times before. Dont be afraid and dont skimp on your paint or materials. Dont use little bitty bits of paint because you dont want to use it all at once etc etc etc you are only restricting yourself and maybe killing that skill and talent that is only waiting for a chance to burst forth. Let it all hang out and remember as a child what great fun it was making a mess.
            Thanks Karen, great thread.
            ps Almost forgot, Discovering WC and making all the lovely friends around the world.Thanks to you all . LUVYA.
            Billyg :D :D :D :evil:

Paint like a Millionaire

Oh come along with me to my little corner of the world, and dream a dream with me.

Christie

The most inspiring thing I have learned here is from BillyG. Painting like a millionaire has made me more willing to experiment with watercolours.

However, I learn so much from this site everyday, that my brain is full most of the time! :p There are so many new techniques I want to try that i am starting to wonder where all the hours are going to come from.

Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are. -Nkosi Johnson Twelve-year-old Zulu boy, living with AIDS
                Illegitimi Non Carborundum

boarsrock

I’m really going to take away more here than I contribute, but one thing I find helpful. I work with the board at varying levels for flow (or lack of) certain washes. My drafting table is already on an angle and I use a kneaded eraser (probably two or three that have merged together over the years) to control the height of my mounting board. At the bottom (underneath) it can flatten the board so I get no run. Or at the top I can increase the angle of flow. Since it is pliabe, I can also adjust the height too. Something that has helped me so far.

CarlyHardy

first of all….blue in color
                        then, its sort of like masking tape but its not as sticky and its easier to remove.
                        Painters use it when they paint edges in a house….it doesn’t lift the paint on the walls when removed.
                        However, its more expensive than the cheaper masking tape. But if you’re using it for watercolor painting…it will go a long way. And I have reused it!
                        carly

CarlyHardy

to tell you what my cool stuff was…lol!

I was on location and ready to paint one day and realized I had paints but no palette. However I did have a plastic case of those little baby wipe deals that you can put into your purse…about 6 inches in length and 3 inches wide. I took out the baby wipes and used the plastic container for a palette! Squeezed the paints out on one side and used the other side for mixing! Worked great…I even bought another one in a larger size to keep in my outdoor bag in case I leave the palette home again!
                            carly

One little tip I’d like to share,I was in a stationary shop and they had a pack of five brushes,they were made by a company named crimson and blake,I think they cost £2,99,now at that price they are not the best of the bunch but what they do is split rather nicely and are great for foliage.The fan brush and the half inch flat are particularly good and at that price you can afford to experiment Alan

SCOTLAND

Super cool stuff:D Thanks for the contributions

Thanks to the “family” at WC I’ve learned so much (not to mention saved $$)

Please, no matter where you are on your artistic journey, if you have the time, throw in something…:D

Cool stuff: This is really cheap, really, really cheap BUT I like it :) I’ve been rinsing out the pigment from paper towels as I work and reusing them…..told you it was cheap:p They end up being really soft that way and easier to work w/ ,

AND

thanks to you billy…..I’ll paint like a millionaire and try a painting on that expensive paper I’ve been scared to work on:D

Your a great bunch……Karen:)

I buy watercolor paper in rolls rather than flat sheets, saves money and provides larger surface area. I also stretch paper on recycled wooden stretchers (from oil paitings that did not make the grade) and use this with watercolor and acrylics.

Christie

I forgot to add that I use a mushroom brush (one of the really cheap nylon ones) for texture in watercolours.

Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are. -Nkosi Johnson Twelve-year-old Zulu boy, living with AIDS
                                Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,175 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.