Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time May 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Lena

Happy May 1st – International workers Day and Beltane!

I am trying to cast of a shawl. I have done it twice already and not made it to the end. Knitting faster doesn’t help. I tried a crochet cast off but it also lost the race

So I unknit another row…. Now I am doing a slightly fancier crochet cast off. Third time lucky I hope.:clap: :clap:

Doll Art by Lena

EvaJ

Miss me? I had looked on here in April but didn’t post. Been having lots of health problems. Didn’t want to post until I got the results of all the tests. The first week in April I hae a parathyroid scan. The doctor told me after I got the results todays that she will rell scared that it was cancer but, the results showed no cancer or any other type of growth. Now we can all breathe easier on that one.

Then the middle of April, I had to have a MRI on my lower back. Couldn’t walk any more without the walker. Even fixing food or doing dishes was a chore and had to sit every few minutes before I could finish. Last Friday I had steriod shots on both sides of my spine. Not a pleasant thing to have done as the pain was worse the first two days and bed rest was about all I could do. It is getting better and my primary doctor said today that it could take two weeks to completely work. Her husband has the shots in his knee and it took several days to work. My son Pat has the shots too in his back and he says it does take a while.

So that is my tale here. No fun at all. Started a new quilt weeks ago and still only have it cut out and nothing sewn.

Jen, love the little sweater outfit. Does look like the sweaters my grandmother use to make for all the new babies in the family.

Lena, what are you making? Slug? Monster? What is it for?

Debbie, sorry about not being able to find comfortable boots. Hope you come up with something that feels good soon. I go barefoot all the time except when I have to go somewhere. Hate to wear shoes. I need some new shoes too but it is now getting the hot weather so I can wear sandels. Can’t wear flip flops as I can’t stand any thing between my weird toes.

I would take that doll head and put it in “time out” until it lets you put a proper face on it. It has been years since I made doll faces. Probably couldn’t make a good face either any more.

Happy May and happy Mother’s Day to all you ladies._

Eva :heart:

Lena

Eva! Welcome back.

If you look for the thread “Wedding Bouquet” you will see I have been making flowers for my youngest daughter’s wedding in Sept. The slugs was supposed to be an oriental lily for in her hair. I am on version two now.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, thanks for starting the Stitch. I completely spaced it was May until this morning. So I missed Beltane. :( Wishing you better luck on your projects.

Eva! So glad to see you. Sorry you have been having so many medical issues. Yes, we have missed you. Really, it’s ok if you want to complain about your aches and pains. We are all dealing with something. Hope those shots kick in soon and you can get back on your feet.

I finished the green unicorn and cut out the orange dragon. These are critters I sold last month and am re-making while giving the doll head a time out. :lol:

Debby
                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

EvaJ

Am doing a little better. The pain is not as bad unless I have to stand too long. Old age has got to me and I hate it. Why can’t I be able to get around better and to see better??? :( I really need to stop complaining and find something I can work on. I have tons of ideas in my head but they don’t want to come out and play.

Time to go eat. My dinner is done.

Eva :heart:

Debby

Eva, are you using a cane or walker to get around? Yes, old age is awful. Hope those ideas come out soon.

While I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago visiting my son. He had a “talk” with me about the fact that I could barely walk without hanging onto DH. Part of it was exhaustion due to the sheer amount of activity I’d been doing that was outside my normal. The other part, of course, is I have a bad ankle on the right and a bad knee on the left. Makes for some interesting limping. Anyway, he begged me to get a cane or walker, some sort of walking assistance so I could get around better. I also have weak wrists from chronic tendonitis due to working on computers during my career as a mechanical designer. I looked into it, but knew that a cane or walker were going to engage my wrists in ways that wouldn’t actually help anything. Then I discovered Nordic walking sticks. I bought a pair. They arrived yesterday. I took them for a test walk both on pavement and on dirt and grass. Oh my! I could actually walk, not limp. Now, this morning my arms and shoulders are sore, but it’s sore muscles and will go away. I’m so delighted! No fiber work got done yesterday, but it was still a great day.

Debby
                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Oh wow Debbie I just checked them out on google, Now I have to find a pair.

I now have a set of rainbow coloured mating slugs :lol: :lol: I have started to wire them up and it doesn’t look bad but as a flower it is much too big for her hair!
                                I went yarn shopping on Thursday. I didn’t find anything for the lily but I found some lovely sock yarn for me….:wink2:

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, I think they are amazing walking aids. I did some looking on YouTube and saw some folks in a senior center using them and saying they’d stopped using walkers and canes. That’s what convinced me to try them as an alternative. Rainbow slugs?!? Sounds weird in a fun kind of way. We need to see them. Now you need to go shopping for yarn again because of the lily requirement. I see a win-win here.

Today I’m still very sore, but I was able to use my sticks in the grocery store. Got a few weird looks, but didn’t have a death grip on the cart. Let DH drive the cart and I used the sticks. So tired, but yay for walking again.

Debby
                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Rainbow monster

My big issue with the sticks will be walking the dog. I will have to figure that out.

Doll Art by Lena

Eva, GREAT to hear from you!

Lena, now THAT is looking like a flower!

Debby, so the head is in time out, eh?

Sat yesterday with part of the my guild’s Sheep to Shawl team, getting the warp yarn spun for a competition in July. The woman weaving needs it soon to get the loom warped before she leaves for a few weeks. A lot of fun to sit and spin and talk…and eat of course.

Jen

Jennifer Landau
                                        Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Debby

Lena, it looks more flower like than the previous one. Can you tie the dog’s leash to your belt? Or is the dog not trained to heel?

Jen, great to see you. Can’t see spinning and eating at the same time, it made a funny image in my head. :lol:

Took yesterday off because of soreness and stomach upset. I am so tired of my sensitive digestion. It seems like the least little thing and I’m dealing with nausea or running to the toilet, if not both. The really annoying part is I’m not reducing my weight with all of this. You’d think not being able to eat and not digesting properly, I’d be thin as a rail. Hopefully today will be better.

Debby
                                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Debby

Ok, so nobody has posted in a few days. I’ve been working on doll stuff. Here is one head sans hair. It’s my best head to date. I’m still working on this as I’m not quite happy.

So this is the beginning of the next head with a narrower nose. Just a quick look at the skin over the top of what I’m doing.

Hope everyone is well and busy creating and/or enjoying spring weather.

Debby
                                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

If you do one stitch from the bottom of the eye (or the top of the head) to the inner nostril on each side of the nose and back again, it will pull the shape in better.

If you want to smile you can take one stitch from the bottom of the eye to the edge of the mouth and back again, it will create a slight smile and cheekiness.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, thank you so much!

Debby
                                                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Ugh the dog is sick. She is at the vets for the weekend to be on an IV. There is something wrong with her kidneys.

My asthma is acting out. There is so much to be done in the garden and I can’t breathe right. It is mostly due to stress.

More sock knitting coming up…..

I went yarn shopping but I can’t find the colour I want for the lily. They had just the right shade of variegated rose in a sock yarn but it had to much wool and felt like barbed wire to me. There was another in the baby section but it was too fat a yarn.

Doll Art by Lena

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.