WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2019, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada
How a 99-year-old artist became an overnight success

You will love love love this dynamic woman

How a 99-year-old artist became an overnight success

NBC’s Harry Smith uncovers the incredible story of how a cataloguer discovered a hidden treasure of proactive and alluring paintings by 99-year-old artist Luchita Hutardo.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/popcu...MH0?ocid=ientp
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2019, 07:49 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada
Re: How a 99-year-old artist became an overnight success

She's great and I like her art as well.

I'm only 60 so there are 39 years of hope for me yet!

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2019, 10:25 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2019, 12:06 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinS
She's great and I like her art as well.

I'm only 60 so there are 39 years of hope for me yet!

I had the same thought, and then re-thought it. With both very old and very young artists, you always have to wonder: is their success based on the merits of their work or because of their age. Even worse, once you pass a certain age, people begin to treat you like a child again; you become quaint and cute rather than wise and respectable. At least, that's how it works in western culture.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2019, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvds
I had the same thought, and then re-thought it. With both very old and very young artists, you always have to wonder: is their success based on the merits of their work or because of their age. Even worse, once you pass a certain age, people begin to treat you like a child again; you become quaint and cute rather than wise and respectable. At least, that's how it works in western culture.

That's true -- but at least they are LOOKING at her work now. Artists who live to 99 without ever having an exhibition are highly unlikely to be found by the art world gurus. As she had been in the elite circles she had an ace in the hole. Nobody was looking for her.
Leaving her art aside -- what a beautiful woman at 99!!!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2019, 11:51 AM

Hails from Canada

Quote:

In this artist's case, it seems to me that the art itself is creating the appeal. The guy who discovered her was looking at a much larger collection of art and was drawn to the works signed "LH". That was before he knew her age. Maybe there is some novelty factor boosting the story and the buzz, but it began with a real discovery.

When does one enter the "wise and respectable" phase do you think? I would hate to pass directly from "middle aged and foolish" straight to "quaint and cute" without a proper period of wise respectability. I will have to pay attention, as it might be a very fleeting moment.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2019, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast

Omg. I love her! Love, love, love. It’s her spirit. She sparkles. She’s got “spunk” (as Mr. Grant said to Mary in the newsroom). Although, as Mary beamed with pride at the compliment, he then grumbled, “I HATE spunk!” And she deflated.

So, how on earth does LH retain all that joy?

I wonder if that gets easier to do once you become that ancient in years. Maybe, it only happens if you have good physical and/or mental health which she seems to have. Because knowing me...if I ever live to be 99, I’ll be one fanged and clawed and hissy horror who thinks she’s WAAAYYYY overstayed her welcome.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2019, 12:30 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinS
In this artist's case, it seems to me that the art itself is creating the appeal. The guy who discovered her was looking at a much larger collection of art and was drawn to the works signed "LH". That was before he knew her age. Maybe there is some novelty factor boosting the story and the buzz, but it began with a real discovery.

When does one enter the "wise and respectable" phase do you think? I would hate to pass directly from "middle aged and foolish" straight to "quaint and cute" without a proper period of wise respectability. I will have to pay attention, as it might be a very fleeting moment.

I' not sure it happens at all anymore. When you hit forty, you're considered past your "best before" date. :-)
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2019, 12:50 AM

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive.oyl
Omg. I love her! Love, love, love. It’s her spirit. She sparkles. She’s got “spunk” (as Mr. Grant said to Mary in the newsroom). Although, as Mary beamed with pride at the compliment, he then grumbled, “I HATE spunk!” And she deflated.

So, how on earth does LH retain all that joy?

I wonder if that gets easier to do once you become that ancient in years. Maybe, it only happens if you have good physical and/or mental health which she seems to have. Because knowing me...if I ever live to be 99, I’ll be one fanged and clawed and hissy horror who thinks she’s WAAAYYYY overstayed her welcome.

I think part of it is one's innate personality. Glass half full, or half empty. Hurtado seems to be someone who has always seen the joyful side of life. I have an aunt just like that who has just turned 98.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2019, 12:55 AM

Hails from Canada

Quote:
I' not sure it happens at all anymore. When you hit forty, you're considered past your "best before" date. :-)

It's all relative. I remember being a kid thinking of how I would be 41 years old at the turn of the Millennium. That seemed so old. Now 40 seems practically adolescent.