WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Durango, Colorado

Hails from United States
Re: Best Landscape books

Here is a book not listed above: Oil Painter's Solution Book - LANDSCAPES by Elizabeth Tolley. Yeah for the comments on Schmid. And, I am with you on the Carolson Book - philosoplical ramblings. Since I am a plein air painter, Elizabeth Tolley covers several good points........espcially the handling of Trees and Greens............"Orange is the Secret and Violet the Friend"
  #92   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2008, 07:52 AM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States

Donna,

Jack Hamm has an excellent book on drawing landscapes.

http://product.half.ebay.com/Drawing...foQQprZ1317542

Here is a link to Half so you can see the cover and title.

Don
  #93   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Just Outside Philadelphia

Hails from United States

<< Oil Painter's Solution Book - LANDSCAPES by Elizabeth Tolley.>>

I agree with Jane from Durango on the Tolley Book -- it is excellent for the beginner and advanced student as well.

BUT .. The Carlson book is a totally different animal and should NOT be dismissed out of hand as it seems to have been in some of the posts in this forum. The Carlson book may not instruct his reader on how to load the brush and apply paint to canvas but the information is, IMO, invaluable to the learning process. Like Henri's, The Art Spirit, it is NOT meant to be a "How To" book.
A book like Tolley's can be taken to the easel.
The Carlson and Henri books are meant to be read by the fireplace with two fingers of single malt scotch. They feed the soul. ; - )
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Just Outside Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Another book:
Not sure if this one has been mentioned yet but I came upon Mark Christopher Weber's, Brushwork Essentials (2002) in the Public Library and will be purchasing it for my own library. It is published by North Light.
It is in the "How To" genre and will suit the beginner as well as the advanced student. I think very highly of it and recommend it without reservation.
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Citizen of the World. Lisbon, Portugal

Hails from Portugal

Donna,

Try this one: DRAWING NATURE by Stanley Maltzman, North Light Books, ISBN 0-89134-933-2

I find it very helpfull.

Look inside here: www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0891349332/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

Now, just for fun, compare that pine tree on the cover to this one:
www.richardschmid.com/wp_pages1.htm

Last edited by hfcvb : 10-09-2008 at 05:20 PM.
  #96   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2008, 02:47 AM
wynnum Brisbane Q

Hails from Australia

The attached text seems to say it all really ...
Attached Files
File Type: doc Sergei Bongart.doc (59.5 KB, 137 views)
  #97   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2008, 08:28 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

Anyone interested in Emile A. Gruppe's book, "Gruppe on Painting- Direct Techniques in Oil" might want to check out this thread in the plein air forum...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522508

this book often sells online now from $250 to $300...but the Rockport Art Association recently having a Gruppe exhibition put a number of reprints available for $34.95

I ordered a couple...and excited to get them...(one for my artist/son)
  #98   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2008, 10:34 AM

Hails from Portugal

I've just bought Moira Huntly's Sketchbook Secrets, a David & Charles Book, UK, ISBN 0 7153 1933 7.
It's a wonderful travel sketching reference book.
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
English Lake District

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfcvb
I've just bought Moira Huntly's Sketchbook Secrets, a David & Charles Book, UK, ISBN 0 7153 1933 7.
It's a wonderful travel sketching reference book.

Agree wholeheartedly hfcvb. Moira Huntley is one of my favourite authors.
I saw her in the street once in Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire, UK.
Did not have the bottle to speak tho.
  #100   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2008, 12:59 PM

Hails from Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by geof
Agree wholeheartedly hfcvb. Moira Huntley is one of my favourite authors.
I saw her in the street once in Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire, UK.
Did not have the bottle to speak tho.

Hi geof
I think I would do the same as you did...

Now, everybody:
Some months ago I bought «Painting Landscapes with Atmosphere» by Ray Balkwill, Divid & Charles Books, ISBN 13:978-0-7153-2292-5.
His paintings depict the open-air scene in a free, painterly and kind of loose way that captures light and atmosphere.
I just love it.
Theres a quote by Marcel Proust in the introduction that reveals "the secret": «The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes».
Enjoy it.

Dero
  #101   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast
Tokyo

Hails from Australia

I'm really enjoying slowly going through the giant-sized 'Australian Impressionism', most of which pertains to outdoor painting, or 'pleinairism' as the National Gallery of Victora (which put out the edition) calls it!

I think the book was put out to coincide with an exhibition, and it covers the first 14 years of the movement up till Arthur Streeton went to England. Features mainly Arthur Streeton, Tom Roberts, Fredrick McCubbin, Charles Conder and Jane Sutherland.

Streeton has always been a favourite of mine and there are ample works of his there, including some figure works as well. I'm also finding the history of the movement really fascinating.

Highly recommended.
  #102   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Janine -

Carlson was an oil painter so he does discuss paints and mediums and what supports to paint on, etc. but that's just in the first chapter.

The bulk of the book is about "seeing" and learning about the elements of landscapes so you can learn to paint them. He discusses clouds and skies and trees, angles and planes and how the light hitting them affects values, aerial perspective, linear perspective, color and composition.

I paint with acrylics and found it very useful because it is more about landscape painting's basic elements rather than a "how-to paint in oils."

However.... it is so difficult to know whether it would be helpful to you ...

Have you looked at your local library to see if they have a copy or could get one on loan from another library?

Some people have bought the book based on the glowing reviews of others and then have been disappointed because it has very few color photos and is mostly words......

sooo.... I think it's a great book, but you might not - so looking at it before buying would be my suggestion....

Hope that helps...
Time to play......

Last edited by sashntash : 04-26-2009 at 08:28 AM.
  #103   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

SUsan, Larry and Don, thanks very much for your response and thoughts
i will chase it up on Amazon, doesnt bother me that it is not in colour, as i have other art books which are in b&W,,,i will get it just for the classic it is being described
thanks again
janine
  #104   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

I stumbled across one book that I am most impressed with:

The Challenge of Landscape Painting, by Ian Simpson, ISBN 0-00-411573-2.

Although this focusses on British landscape artists, it is thoroughly practical but grounded in history and a series of interviews with some of the best of modern masters. These interviews are wide-ranging, from favourite easels for plein air to influences and style, with copious illustrations of modern landscape paintings. It concentrates on oils, and watercolours, but contains a great deal that you will find nowhere else.

Howard.
  #105   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2009, 11:49 AM
A Local Legend
Maryland, USA

I'd just like to second the recommendation for: "Painting Better Landscapes" by Margaret Kessler.

The book covers everything related to landscapes: composition and format, perspective, value relationships, color selection, depth, brushwork, center of interest and artistic composition, etc.

Nearly every page has an example painting of a principle, and they are nearly all in color. Greyscale or black and white drawings are used to illustrate the certain concepts, such as value relationships, artistic grouping, and negative space. So, the book instructs in both the basics of each concept through black and white drawings and advanced concepts (what color should the clouds be? How do reflections in water relate to what they are reflecting on the land?) are handled in color paintings.

The painting examples in the book often relate to various themes: how to paint a foggy day vs. a sunny one, how to handle evening scenes, panoramas, and so on. This is a good way to get examples of how to paint unusual scenes and keep variety in one's work.

About the only drawback to the book is that it is written for oil paints (I paint in acrylics), but there are very few areas in the book where that matters. She does not get into extreme detail about how each effect was created ("take a dab of titanium white and add a bit of Cadmium yellow to a #6 fan brush..."), so nearly everything in the book is applicable to every medium. The few areas where she does talk about specific colors (using colors to show depth, handling clouds and skies, etc.) can be easily modified to fit whatever medium you're using.

All in all, this is a great book that I've found very helpful. It gave me a wide range of example landscape paintings and showed me why they work and how I can apply those lessons to my own works.

Still much to paint and much to learn!
My Blog My Print Gallery

Last edited by oldradagast : 08-08-2009 at 11:53 AM.