Home Forums Explore Subjects Miniature Art Project Discussion: Painting the Masters ATC Trade

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,188 total)
  • Author

A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!

Title: Painting the Masters ATC Trade
    Project Leaders: vmrs & floblue

Relative Difficulty: Irrelevant
    Type Restrictions: ATC card only (2.5 x 3.5 inches)
    Medium: Any Medium
    Subject: Painting from the Masters
    Days open for signups: 20
    Maximum participants allowed: 12

Description:

This is a TRADING PROJECT requiring multiple mailings, some to international addresses. DO NOT JOIN UNLESS YOU CAN COMPLETE THE TRADES.
    For this project you will be required to create and mail an original ATC (3.5 by 2.5 inches) card for each participant. For instance if twelve people join then you will need to make eleven cards and mail them to the other participants. I know it sounds like a lot but it is great practice and it’s nice to get actual mail from around the world. You will have two months after the twenty day sign up to do your cards.
    Please note a glitch is allowing people to sign up after the sign period is over but to participate, you must sign up on or before March 1st, 2019.

The theme of this trade is “Painting from the Masters”. By “masters” we mean any painting out of copyright, which is any painted pre-1923. See the project thread in the Miniature Forum for ideas and chat about this project.

Before mailing your cards, remember to scan or photograph them. Please do not put the image into the forum until you have received a pm saying they’ve been received, that way it’s a nice surprise.

Please remember to PM people when you receive a card from them. And please spread the love and take the time to comment in the forums.

Please send me, vmrs, your address via PM when you sign up.
    Enjoy!

Additional Information:

For more information on the project: Click here!

Remember, in order to help keep the discussions on projects organized, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work here in this thread. By doing this, we allow other non-project efforts to not get “pushed down” by a swarm of project-related threads.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
    Find me on Instagram
    Find me on Facebook

How to for inserting images in a project thread.

To put your images in the project gallery you go to the project page.

Then you go to “upload your final images”.

Click on that and you get this page.

On #1, look through the drop down menu for the project name, “Painting the Masters ATC Trade”, it should be the last one on the list. (in this photo, the example is “Christmas Card Trade 2016”)
    On #2, click browse and find the photo on your computer
    On #3 Press upload when #2 is done and voila, it’s in the gallery.

Note: the long description never shows up in the gallery anymore, so I personally don’t bother filling that part out.

Find me on Instagram
    Find me on Facebook

Project FAQS

This is a trading project, each participant must create an original ATC (no copies allowed) for the other participants. If 12 people join, you will need to make 11 ATC’s and then mail them to the others by May 1st, 2019.

ATC’s are art cards that are 2.5 by 3.5 inches in size.

Before mailing your cards, be sure to photograph them and note what member is getting what card.

Please be sure to also mark on the back, your name/member name, the date, and WetCanvas Trade, so in many years when people look back, they will know where it came from.

When you receive a card, please immediately pm the member, you can also mention it in this thread but please be sure to pm them as well as they may not see your post in the thread.

When you receive a pm saying that your card has been received, then please upload it following the instructions in post 2.

Time limit: There is a 20 day sign up ending March 1st, 2019, after that you will have sixty days, essentially to the end of May to complete this trade.
    If you have signed up but cannot complete the trade or need more time, please be sure to let us know as soon as possible. We all understand that everyone has emergencies or life hiccups.

To PM (private message) members:
    Left click on the member’s name and a drop down menu with options will appear. Click on the option “Send a private message to member” and you’re all set.
    You can also pm members from their member profile page. To find their member profile page either click on their name or find their name using the Member Directory. In the Member Directory, you can use either the Search option or scroll alphabetically through the list.

Find me on Instagram
    Find me on Facebook

Etosha

Looks exciting! I’m looking forward to seeing the images!

~Bridget~
        CinderellaG

Hi Virginia, Count me in! I love doing the Masters work and I learn so much doing them. The very first miniature I did was Monets Giverney Gardens bridge.. This will be so much fun!

Cindy G.

Virginia, where do the participants get the addresses of the other participants?

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

BearStar

Thanks vmrs & floblue :wave:

your timing is perfect for me
                i’m in!!

~stephanie

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]
                ~stephanie

Looking forward to this trade. Thank you for starting it.

LIL

Virginia, where do the participants get the addresses of the other participants?

Doug

I’ll collect them, then once the sign up period is over, I’ll send a list out to everyone. :)

Find me on Instagram
                Find me on Facebook

Nice to see everyone!

Have you seen the Google Art project? This link has a list of the museums that have participated.
                If you click on the museum you want to look at, there are photos of their collections. It’s pretty cool. You can find all sorts of ideas!

Find me on Instagram
                Find me on Facebook

Ellen E

So for this one, we just pick an artist we like from the time before 1923 and do a painting in that style? Or do we try to duplicate the painting we’ve chosen? Then we write the artist we’ve chosen for that particular card on the back of the painting and the medium we used, etc. ?

I already found some absolutely exquisite paintings. One I just love is called Shrovetide and it’s by a Russian artist whose name already flew out of my mind. I’ll come back and give his name when I think of it, but don’t hold your breath.

Ellen E

Are you joining us in the trade, Doug? I hope so. This will be a fun trade.

I’ve got a plan. I’ll buy a bunch of stamps and envelopes and then I can just mail from here myself. No trouble deciding how to get to the post office. :D

floblue

Hi everyone! Thanks Virginia for starting this project! This is going to be so fun! I’m going to get my paints out and get started. Ellen that’s a great idea. I think you can even buy stamps online.

Yup, any artist before 1923, it doesn’t need to be complicated.

You can copy their work outright or do a crop of it or do a painting based on one of their paintings. Or if it’s say a painting with five people then only paint one. You can interpret that any way you’d like. :)

Someone sent me a pm thinking that this was too hard a theme but really it’s not. There’s a lot of simpler old paintings or like I said, crop or do only part of one.
                            It doesn’t have to be paintings either, it could be a drawing or sculpture or even a window. My local museum has some Tiffany windows that are gorgeous!

Look at this one, I took this with my phone and it still looks amazing.

It’s called “River of Life” by Louis Comfort Tiffany, 1905 (I’ve put this one in the Reference Image Library)

Or look at this little terracotta house model. It was made by a Nayarit artist between 250BCE -100CE. It’s also at our museum, I love it.

It would make a cool drawing or painting.

So have fun and do whatever you feel suits. :)

Find me on Instagram
                            Find me on Facebook

PaintBoss

Well if we can interpret how we like based off a masterwork, I might consider it. I feel like some room for creativity… Is that what you mean Virginia? Beyond the cropping or straight copying (which is nice too).
                                Doug it would be great to see you in the exchange.

~Christine
                                🇨🇦

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,188 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.