Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Hairs coming off my Brushes?? Oil Painting. Help!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Bob Hill

[FONT=”Georgia]Hairs are coming off my Brushes?? Oil Painting. Help!!
        I need to deal with this problem somehow.

Do I need better quality Brushes, if so, which brand?
        Any other tricks that would help, please let me know.
        I am looking for inexpensive solutions, and also the best way to get them off the painting when dry, etc.
        I have put a piece of cardboard over my easel, hoping it would help.
        [/COLOR][/FONT]

koumk

buy better quality brushes..

Kostas

Bob Hill

@koumk
                Thank you for your reply.
                Any suggestions for brand/supplier?

ianuk

There isn’t an inexpensive solution to bad brushes. Not in the UK. Cheapest good brush retails around £4

Tony11214

You asked for the best way to get brush hairs off your painting when dry. You don’t. You get them off as you paint when the paint is wet. You push the tip of the brush into the hair that’s stuck in the paint, catch the hair with the tip of the brush, and lift it off.

AnnieA

You didn’t mention which brand you are using now and/or how you are painting. Both of these would be helpful in giving you advice.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                            [FONT=Palatino]
                            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Bob Hill

I do Landscapes/Seascape.
                                I use cheap brushes.
                                I bought this set.

https://www.rosemaryandco.com/gift-sets/set-170

They are a unique blend of badger hairs (once were the mongoose hair). They are absolutely brilliant for alla prima work, allowing you to work ‘wet on wet’ without pulling the paint away. The hair is responsive and firm, yet gives almost a velvet feel. They are ideal for adding highlights and tonal values. They are resilient, and will wear down well.

Hamburgefions

If you are painting vigorously, even the most expensive sablebrush will loose more hairs than a cheap hog bristle.

This is bad for your brushes and your painting.

Bob Hill

They are a unique blend of badger hairs (once were the mongoose hair). They are absolutely brilliant for alla prima work, allowing you to work ‘wet on wet’ without pulling the paint away. The hair is responsive and firm, yet gives almost a velvet feel. They are ideal for adding highlights and tonal values. They are resilient, and will wear down well.
                                        Bought from Rosemary & Co.

Bob Hill

@Hamburgefions
                                            I love your artwork.

WFMartin

Langnickel Brushes are notorious for falling apart, and shedding, after a bit of use, although they perform quite wonderfully when they are brand new.

Many Badger Blender brushes–the large, round ones that are used for softening gradations, are also quite prone to shedding their hairs, but unlike Langnickel, which only begin shedding after some use, the badger blenders seem to begin shedding immediately, and continue to do so, well into the life of the brush.

I avoid using Badger Blenders, of just about any brand, as well as Langnickel brushes.

I’ve used all sorts of OTHER brush with almost NO shedding, whatsoever. Dynasty Black Gold are EXCELLENT. I’ve also used some rather inexpensive brushes that have never shed their bristles. Simmons, Winsor & Newton Monarch, Silverbrush Ruby Satin, Loew Cornell. None of these brushes have shed for me.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Bob Hill

@WFMartin
                                                    Thanks for your comment also. Appreciated.

Do you think it was a mistake getting those brushes as in the link above?
                                                    https://www.rosemaryandco.com/gift-sets/set-170
                                                    Love your artwork btw.

Pinguino

Rosemary & Co. is a reputable supplier, with many high-end products.

I suspect that a “gift set” from any supplier is likely to contain low-end products. Reason: The gift recipients would rather buy according to their own knowledge.

I suggest mid-price synthetic brushes.

Bob Hill

@Pinguino
                                                            It’s a bit late now, as they have been ordered and are now on the way.

Pinguino

@Pinguino
                                                                It’s a bit late now, as they have been ordered and are now on the way.

Ah, are you saying that the shedding brushes were an earlier set, but now you have ordered other brushes from Rosemary & Co.? Might be very different from what you had before!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.