Home Forums Explore Subjects Miniature Art Noob and Illumination

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nova pictorem

Hello to all,

I am completely new to all of this-thus, no bad habits to break.

Have decided to do illuminated letters-gilding also

My question here is-how on earth do you get skilled @ painting all that small stuff?

I don’t see how medieval artists did it unless decades of practice.

Is most of the stuff you see in book shrunk down to accommodate the page size?

I just need to practice more and more using only the very tip of the brush, right?

And, am using gouache, of course.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thank you

David

floblue

Welcome David, get your self some good small brushes. I bought a set of 15 from DACO. For about 23.00. They are really nice and holding up to all kinds of paint, I even bought a second set I liked them so well. Just keep practicing. It gets easier. Block in your larger areas and then add the details. Hope this helps.

hibiscus17

Greetings David. What floblue said; I would add practice…lots of it. That’s what this forum is for. They are helpful and very supportive around here. All skill levels, but extremely welcoming. Lots of interesting challenges too. Should jump in and have a go at the monthly challenge. Regards.

Lawrence

You can use ink pens too instead of paint if that’s easier on you, microns are a good quality pen and aren’t too pricey to practice the style of illumination.

Have you checked out the Calligraphy forum? They have some great tutorials.

As for the modern day books that use illuminated letters, they most likely are shrunk down but of course in the older manuscripts that are done by hand, they are what they are.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                Find me on Instagram
                Find me on Facebook

David, I just use my same artist brushes but on a smaller support. Good luck with your efforts.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.