Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Library Oil Pastel Challenges June oil pastel challenge and chat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

For June’s challenge I’ve decided to use a theme of mountains. All photos are from the ril and any other copyright free mountain images are welcome.
    Hope you enjoy them.

Christel

SnapV

Beautiful photos Christel, I’m definitely going to try this one :)

Virginie

All C&C welcome: I want to improve!

My take on Mt Gouwer. I’m still deciding if I should add a wash of blue over it.

Christel

terriks

It looks really lovely as is, Christel – great job.

I’m curious – if you were to proceed with a “wash of blue” how would you go about it? Would this be done with OP’s or a different medium?

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Thanks Terri. For a wash I dissolve a little blue in some mineral turps and use a fan brush to very lightly and quickly brush on a layer. I try for 1 layer only so as not to dissolve bottom layers.

Christel

terriks

That’s interesting! I’ve not thought about putting a wash like that over previous layers. It sounds more like an underpainting technique applied to an otherwise finished piece. Thanks for the tip, Christel! :clap:

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Jennie

Hi, I’ve been looking for the guidelines for posting, but didn’t find them. Apologies if I’m early.

It’s not a great likeness, but decided to post anyway.

Jennie
                    "Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
                    @jenniferpaints http://jrcs.com.au/artist

SarahY

Nope, no posting date rules here. I much prefer that, each piece can have more time spent on it by the viewer if the paintings aren’t all posted at once, and it keeps the forums a bit more active.

Anyway, I digress. Your painting is lovely! The mountain looks very distant and I really like how you handled the foreground.

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                        \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                        Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

Lovely scene, Jennie! What size is it?
                        For your next trees you could tone down the green with yellow ochre and/or brown:)

Christel

Jennie

Many thanks Sarah, for the info and the comments. I like the idea of having no post date.

Jennie
                            "Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing.” – Georgia O’Keeffe

Jennie

It is A3 size. Yes. Thanks for the feedback. I made the mistake of using the deepest green to early. New sticks, Faber-Castell, and didn’t predict the impact. After that I was playing catch up – couldn’t get rid of the green well enough so thought the rocks needed to be deeper.

Jennie

terriks

Very nice, Jennie! Great colors in the mountain, it shows distance very well. I do like your deep rich green trees. Adding some touches of blue is another way to get them to recede a bit, and offset some of the green if you want.

Congrats on the new sticks, too! :clap: Always fun to get new materials, though I agree with you that you can’t always predict their performance right away.

Terri

Jennie

Thanks Terriks. I am going to have a go at editing this in the next couple of days. Will post if I have any luck.

Jennie

terriks

Here is my take on the Yosemite ref pic. I struggled to get that hazy blue and it just eluded me, so I went for more grays and purples.

Overall, I did have fun with this one, but I wish I’d done an underpainting to help with some depth.

This is on 11×14 Bristol vellum paper. Mostly Mungyos with some Senns.

C&C always welcomed – thanks for looking!

Terri

Beautiful Terri! I like how you’ve brought in all the detailing of the trees and rocks. I see you’ve changed the temperature of the scene with your blueish hues.

Christel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.