Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Tripod advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Bartc

I have a 9×12 Guerilla Painter box loaded on an inexpensive camera tripod. Out in the field the roughly 8+ lbs. of the box tends to stress the tilt/pan head of the tripod. Most of the time I can keep it from shifting, but sometimes the weight of the box and pressure on the painting is too much for the grip of the head, so it shifts. Adding some toothed washers inside the head clamping mechanism helps a bit.

Now I’m thinking maybe it’s better to just buy a tripod with a higher weight rating, because this tripod doesn’t have a replaceable pan/tilt head, unfortunately.

Sure, I could invest in a pricey Manfrotto, but don’t have the bucks for that.

Are there any decent not overly expensive tripods you might recommend from experience to handle heavier loads on Amazon or otherwise online?

BTW, it’s not the “heavy duty” name that means a damn thing, because that usually refers to the legs. Nothing wrong with the legs on my current rig, just not the tightest pan head.

OK

You might like to consider the MABEF MA30 Pochade Box Tripod, I’ve been using one for six years and am very happy with it.
            Bought mine when it was on a big discount so was a bargain even when compared with cheep camera tripods.

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
            — Allen Ginsberg
            Are you ready for a Journey?
            PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

Bartc

You might like to consider the MABEF MA30 Pochade Box Tripod, I’ve been using one for six years and am very happy with it.
                Bought mine when it was on a big discount so was a bargain even when compared with cheep camera tripods.

:wave: Dave.

Thanks, but I’m not a fan at all of this type of wooden tripod and it lacks the strong head system that I’m seeking anyway.

My wife has a Strada and is using the Sirui T-2005X with the Manfrotto 496RC2 ballhead. Nice stable setup for the price.

Thick skinned and sometimes thick headed, C&C always welcome - Mike

Additional work can be viewed at Mike's site

Bartc

Love you guys, but I’m looking for something under $85 or so.

Love you guys, but I’m looking for something under $85 or so.

Try Ebay. You may find a used Manfrotto 190xprob used for around that.

Bartc

Try Ebay. You may find a used Manfrotto 190xprob used for around that.

Only the legs if lucky, not the head.

contumacious

There are some very well made carbon fiber and aluminum legged tripods out there from China on Ebay and Amazon for under $90 with a decent ball or pan head on them. Benro is a very popular brand but there are others that are decent also. I am going to switch from my big and heavy Manfrotto with a geared head that I use for photography, to a Chinese carbon fiber compact travel tripod so it will fit inside my backpack and reduce my carried weight as I often hike 5+ miles to paint.

[*]Check the weight rating of the head. 8-10 pounds or more if possible.
                              [*]If you don’t need a compact design, you will usually pay less for the same height and weight carrying ability.
                              [*]Get one with a hook on the bottom of the center column for hanging a weight bag or rocks on or for a corkscrew dog run anchor, to keep it from blowing over.
                              [*]A pan head is easier to adjust when the pochade box is attached, but I prefer a ball head as it is easier to level.

Check the reviews via Google of the various brands / models before you buy one.

Check the weight rating of the head. 8-10 pounds or more if possible.

I’d double that. The lower priced ballheads tend to get exaggerated in their load ratings. Also, your box will extend several inches in all directions from the head. Which will increase the the downward pressure. You’ll probably be fighting creep with a light weight head.

Bartc

I’d double that. The lower priced ballheads tend to get exaggerated in their load ratings. Also, your box will extend several inches in all directions from the head. Which will increase the the downward pressure. You’ll probably be fighting creep with a light weight head.

I have been trying to do what you guys suggest to no avail. I’m finding it VERY hard to get specs on weight load on most sites, including eBay and Amazon. That’s even assuming they are accurate. Yes, you are right about the pressure of leverage. I’m actually shooting for something rated reliably at 15 lb. or greater, those 8kg. ones. It is not easy to find one in the price range.
                                Also, the scourge of online reviews is that you never find one thing that doesn’t have at least some negative reviews along with the laudatory ones. So it’s a hard slog.
                                If you have a specific one you’ve found to point me to, please do!

contumacious

It really depends on the design of the head. I have a cheapo Chinese made tripod with a pan tilt head that costs $49 new that is rated for 4.5 pounds. It will hold my gear with zero slippage. The mast on my panel holder is 30″ long and I put 24 x 32 panels on it. My wife uses it with her Sienna pochade box, no movement, ever.

I have another ball head that is rated for 15 pounds, made by Bogen that cost $90 just for the head. Unless I seriously over tighten the ball lock, it slips.

The best head I own is a Manfrotto 410 – very precise movements, zero slippage, rated at 11 pounds. It cost me $280. I would wager it would outperform many ball heads rated at 20+ pounds. It is wonderful for photography, overkill for plein air painting.

Bartc

Folks, I appreciate your efforts, but having pursued those avenues yet again I find that they are far too expensive for my tastes.

Luckily, I was able to figure out how to make my lower end tripod head removable, and it appears that the leg assembly may fit one of the not overly expensive heavier duty pan heads on Amazon. So I’ve ordered that to see if I can get an improvement within my budget. There was never anything wrong with the leg assembly, just that my 10+ lb. kit was just a little too heavy for the pan head to hold rock steady under pressure sometimes, for which it wasn’t really designed.

Thanks for trying, though.

The thread is not wasted. There is a proliferation of the kind of pochade setups I use (box on tripod) and many of them report the same kind of issues with their OEM tripods too. So this is a use for field tripods that is lacking enough market clout as yet to have sturdier and not ridiculously expensive solutions. Most tripods are meant for cameras, and I see from Web research that those with even heavy lenses have this same issue, which is magnified for photographers.

T Schneider

I have been using Quickset tripods for years. These are from maybe 60s – 70s industry standard, made in USA. They are stout all metal, fairly indestructable and lock up very tight. I use the Husky when needing something really strong (headweight I believe is 25#) but use one called a Champ for lighter pochades.

These work very well and I think will outlive me. They are available on Ebay for very attractive prices. They use the standard ¼ x 20 mount screw.

Take care
                                            Tim

PS I mount a hook on the bottom of the elevator center post and hang the 5 gal. bucket that carries my paint stuff to weight it to the ground.

Bartc

Whoa! May have solved my issue quickly and inexpensively after all.

I got a BSR International heavy duty pan head on Amazon for $23. It fits well on my Dolica ST600p tripod, once I figured out how to swap heads.

Appears to be very strong, at least testing it out in the house with my 10+lb. Guerilla Painter 9×12 box fully loaded. Best of all, it appears that my Dolica quick release plates might work on this after all (Arca-Swiss standard?), so I don’t have to buy extra plates. This thing is rated at 12kg., which is about 26lb. so pretty heavy duty for my uses.

We’ll see how this holds up in the field.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

contumacious

Great solution!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.