WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Johannes Vloothuis
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#3781   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Johannes - Student Critique Posts Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHmarion14
Hi Johannes, I did a 12 X 16 pastel from the last Paint along 13 and would love to have your c&c on it. This is my first one in quite a while. I know I need lots of help with my trees. So all thoughts would be appreciated.
Can you de-clone those two distant evergreens and also merge several rocks into one so they are no so subdivided.
  #3782   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinklady219
Hi Joe. This is an 11x14 watercolor on stretched canvas. (I used watercolor ground on a regular canvas--a lot cheaper than a canvas ready for watercolor). Do you think the shadows on the horse should be darker? Thanks for your help!! See ya Saturday. Carol
Best painting you have done that I have seen pink. I see two symmetrical rectangles in the shadows of the horses and yes those two rectangles are a bit dark.
  #3783   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresgatos
Finished up the last pastel from the Paint Along 13 - didn't seem to be able to quite do all the rocks so I settled for a couple of rocks and some loose dusty dirt The classes are very enjoyable and helpful - I will eventually be able to get better at landscape painting.

Constructive critique would be appreciated.

Barbara

I try to minimize grass strands. That is documenting which is not necessary.
  #3784   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2014, 08:35 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priti

Dear Johannes,
This painting is done from your photos and advice, adding my own moody colors. Does it work? Any suggestions? Thank you.
Rocks are perfect specimens for abstract designs. I see a triangle. Can you redesign it? Good design with the water shape by the rocks.

Last edited by Johannes Instructor : 10-15-2014 at 08:44 PM.
  #3785   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2014, 08:37 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerartwater
Jo: Would you please give me a critique on this. Looking forward to this Saturday and the next paint-along sessions. Thank you very much for your help. Nancy Pink aka flowerartwater
Interesting story book quality. I would do something about those cloned clouds.
  #3786   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2014, 08:42 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthebloodytree
Hi Johannes,
Here's my attempt of a painting of a neighbour's field after being cut with black plastic wrapped bales of hay. Trying to show late afternoon low sun and warm colours on the ground. I like it except the space centre right seems to be empty. Not sure if exrta bales will fix it !

Regards,

Ray.
When I gave the Paint Stunning Landscapes from Photos I lectured that unless we have a night scene or twilight that very dark values should be avoided. I know these appear in photos but that is the way the camera shutter avoids enough light from coming in, but the human eye operates differently. The pupil dilates and allows enough light in all day time scenes to make out the forms adequately. The sky light and reflected surrounding light would impede values from approaching anything darker than a mid dark value. I would only reserve the real dark values for accents, not for general shapes. The only dark value you would see in a daylight scene would be wet rocks. I can't wait for my book to be published because I can just refer to the page number to address these critiques.

Last edited by Johannes Instructor : 10-15-2014 at 08:45 PM.
  #3787   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2014, 05:37 AM
Carmarthen, West Wales

Hails from Wales

Hi Johannes,

Sorry, my eye must work differently from yours. A black plastic covered bale in a landscape looks pretty dark to me. ( especially against low sun ) I have shown a lot of reflected light on the undersides of the bales and highlights on the tops.
The photo of the painting does make everything a little darker as well I think.

Regards,

Ray
  #3788   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthebloodytree
Hi Johannes,

Sorry, my eye must work differently from yours. A black plastic covered bale in a landscape looks pretty dark to me. ( especially against low sun ) I have shown a lot of reflected light on the undersides of the bales and highlights on the tops.
The photo of the painting does make everything a little darker as well I think.

Regards,

Ray
Oh! Black plastic wrapped! I'm sorry I would not have thought about that.
The only time you would see a totally black side to an object that is produced by nature, not man during daylight would be on the moon because there would be no reflected light or sky light. I am talking about the real setting now how it looks in a photo. We cannot trust photos with values because of the different shutter openings.
  #3789   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2014, 09:41 PM
A Local Legend

would love any comment on these... my sister and I loved your free class today..thanks!!!!

Last edited by maryinasia : 10-18-2014 at 09:57 PM.
  #3790   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2014, 09:12 AM

Hails from United States

Johannes

I finished this painting about an hour before your Compositions from Photos class on Saturday, so I would like your thoughts on this painting. How would I fix the straight line of the curb? Are the telephone poles considered clones? Does the closest pole lead the eye out of the painting, or does the turret roof behind it, and the wires keep the viewer in? Is the sky getting too much empty real estate? (sky does have gradient colour that doesn't show much in the photo). Oh, and the ohhh so many triangles!

Is the painting unbalanced, with so much on the right and so little on the left?
I have a couple of others similar I want to paint, so would like to know what not to do. ( I have corrected the sidewalk that appears to be too high before disappearing behind the cars, but this photo was taken prior to that).
It is acrylic, 16x20. Thank you for any comments.

Last edited by Spenser : 10-19-2014 at 10:03 AM.
  #3791   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2014, 07:22 PM

Farm Pond

9 x 12 oil on board. What do you think Jo?.

Thanks

Harry

#3792   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2014, 10:16 PM

Hi Johannes

I took your composition workshop last weekend and enjoyed it very much. I signed up for the paint along this weekend.

Anyway I had posted the Mohegan Sunset and you had commented that during your composition presentation. So I did the painting today, using panpastel for the first time on colorfix paper. See attached painting and original reference.

With panpastel, I found that it couldn't take too many layer and got saturated easily. So I ended up using the nupastel and soft pastel in addition. The sponge seems to break easily. Am I applying too much pressure or Colorfix is too rough?

Regarding the Mohegan Sunset, I changed the composition a bit by removing the tree at the lower left corner which I found distracting and I added the sunray to improve the mood, and also to make the large dark mass of the island more interesting. Besides I intend to have that point to be the focal point (lightest light against darkest dark). The secondary focal point are the clouds...

Regarding the water reflection, I added more color variation and also used darker values on the lower left and right corners, to create an entrance to lead the viewer in. I decided to use value change instead of adding another islands to create that path.

Anyway I hope I capture the gesture of the clouds and the in awe feeling of the sunset. I look forward to your critiques.

Thanks
Susan
Attached Images

#3793   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2014, 10:00 AM

Hi J

I tried to add more highlights in the sky and also some variation in colors (eg. dashes of yellow in the clouds) ito make it more dramatic.. Here's the revised version of the Mohegan Island sunset. Look forward to your critique.

Thanks

Susan
Attached Images