WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2017, 09:36 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States
Painting It Again and Again

I was reading a bit about Bob Ross, possibly best known for his happy little clouds. One little tidbit that fascinated me was that he painted at least three of the same work featured in each show.

How many time do you paint the same scene? Or do you?

R/Mike
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2017, 10:12 PM

Re: Painting It Again and Again

I do. I will draw and paint the same scene many times, they never come out exactly the same, but they do start to improve.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2017, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

I have painted again several of my original paintings to see if I'm improving. Sometimes I feel I'm making progress, and sometimes, not so much.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2017, 12:51 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

the same theme, yes, many times
the same painting, no, pretty much never. if i want to repeat a specific scene i'll change the angle or perspective or season or medium. this works it towards a series rather than a duplicate, while still providing the progress report.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2017, 03:21 PM
western New York

Hails from United States

The same scenes, the same people and animals, the same still lifes, the same inanimate subjects (cars, trucks, planes, machinery, trains, flowers, homes and businesses, street and city scenes, etc.). Yep, many times. I also portray the same in different mediums, and at times will also alter perspective, placement and intensity.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2017, 05:07 PM
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

I love Bob Ross. I think he painted many version of the same thing many many times - that's how he was able to master it and do them so quickly. The trees are almost always the same trees and the bushes almost always the same bushes - yet it was always magic watching him produce complex forms with a few strokes.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2017, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

I am learning how to portray the main subjects of a painting as well as the rest of it by doing studies in various media, from graphite and charcoal, to oil pastels, watercolor, and even oil paint. Each study helps me get closer to my desired goal, though not one has been a copy of previous versions.
This way I learn about materials, composition, scale, values, drawing/painting, story-telling, etc.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2017, 06:21 PM

I think for teachers it is a bit different and more so they can go through a painting in 30 minutes as well as making sure they have something quality to do a show/ lesson about as well as knowing when and what to say along the way. More rehearsal for the show than perfecting the painting.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2017, 06:10 PM
Edinburgh

Hails from Scotland

Bob painted them as practice pieces before doing the actual on camera one. Two more great bits of info; he was an Air Force drill instructor and his famous hair was permed and he HATED it but kept it because that was his trademark. Love or hate the work but you can't deny his spirit.

As far as drawing/redrawing goes I've been working on one particular cartoon for 2 years and it never seems right.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2017, 06:37 PM

he painted one first, painted the second for the t.v. show and had a copy of it just off camera and the third was for still photos taken for the books that were published.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2017, 03:09 AM

I do it all the time. Especially one that I found easy to paint and I know I can do better. There was a picture in National Geographic of this beautiful black woman. I liked it so much I wanted to paint it, but I wasn't satisfied with the way it would come out. I think I tried about 4 times and finally got one that I was satisfied with.