Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking What is your print technique?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 110 total)
  • Author

I thought it would be interesting to find out what kind of printing people enjoy doing the most and why. We are a growing forum, and all of us have things to share. This is another way of telling each other why we like what we do.

Ah, make the most of what we yet may spend, before we too into the dust descend.... Omar Khayyam

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
    Charissa

Sunfilly

I like etching, screen printing and block printing. I like mixing the mediums together especally wood blocks and screen printing. As far as the methods I’m still learning and exploring lots of techniques so do not have any favorites as of yet.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
        Albert Einstein

Deborah Puckett

Bee Studios[/url]

Diane Cutter

For the most part, I work in relief (linocuts and wood) when printmaking, but lately have started a lot of monotypes. Voted block.

Diane

Printmakerguy

I see that us ‘blockheads’ are winning :)

Oh, wait… this isnt the election.

I primarily work with linoleum, although I have the equipment to do intaglio work, I havent messed with it too much… Once I get all moved in to the studio perhaps…

-Andrew

[FONT="Arial"]

I always welcome critiques and criticisms of my work! That's the only way to improve!
                My My Web Page - My Miniature Work-http://www.lessthansix.com[/center]
                -Member of the Association Of Miniature Artists-

* AMA * MASF * HS * ARMS *

I work mainly in intaglio. I love the effects using different grounds gives me, and the beautiful plate tone when I pull a print.

Ah, make the most of what we yet may spend, before we too into the dust descend.... Omar Khayyam

Charissa

Ari Sutton

I have to go along with the relief printing, because of my obsession with woodcuts. I also don’t have a press yet, or much other equipment needed for intaglio prints. I do some screen printing as well, but the cost of new screens is a little prohibitive at this point in my career.

Ari

[FONT=Georgia]Ari Sutton
                    Visit my gallery at http://www.artwanted.com/artist.cfm?artid=24490
                    Also visit my website: http://arisuttonstudios.com
                    Design Portfolio: http://www.behance.net/arisutton

It looks like the relief printers have it so far. Am I the only one crazy enough to work with copper plates? lol I know that it doesn’t give instant results the way most relief work does, but I love it from the initial sketch into the hard ground to using aquatint, scraping, burnishing the whole bit.

Charissa

Diane Cutter

I’d love to get back into etching… I’ve just found that I don’t really have an appropriate set-up in my home studio. I can’t wait for our move back to the States. A printmaking studio with rental time will definitely sway me on where we finally settle.

Diane

Sunfilly

It looks like the relief printers have it so far. Am I the only one crazy enough to work with copper plates? lol I know that it doesn’t give instant results the way most relief work does, but I love it from the initial sketch into the hard ground to using aquatint, scraping, burnishing the whole bit.

I had mixed feeling etching after my first semester, did not think I would do to much with it this semester, but when I started doing up a few plates I recycled, I really got into it so much that I bought a new plate. I love it so much, I’ve been neglecting my block printing and screen printing. Have to at least finish that one screen print I started. But darn only four more weeks of school and I will have to wait until Feb to continue. I have to set up a studio. I’ve been thinking of the alternative methods of etching with electricity. I’ve been gather info on it.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
                            Albert Einstein

Deborah Puckett

Bee Studios[/url]

Londondeon

Since I teach in a classroom situation, I have sort of leaned toward non toxic approaches to printmaking.

My favorite is plexiglass engraving printed with Daniel Smith acrylic ink on paper. The details are as nice as etchings, but line only, no aquatints. They are very reminiscent of old engravings from before aquatint technology. The only drawback is the plates wear out sooner, usually before 50 prints are completed. The advantage is you can see through the plate on the back to see how the engraving is coming. Reworking after testing can bring up the details even more. Does anyone else do this?

I also like monoprints with watercolor or the ink mentioned above. Both clean up with water which makes of a non toxic classroom.
                                Londondeon

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the number of moments that take our breath away.---George Carlin

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

Printmakerguy

Does anyone else do this?

I have done a couple of small drypoints on plastic… Plan to get into it more now that I officially have a studio… I used Etching inks before, I am going to have to try the daniel smith inks… Are you talking about their releif inks??

I have been getting away from some of the more toxic elements of printmaking myself, I still love my oilbased inks, but have been cleaning up with a product called Soy-Solv, a soybean oil based solvent. Does a great job, and far less abnoxious than thinners…

-Andrew

[FONT="Arial"]

I always welcome critiques and criticisms of my work! That's the only way to improve!

Printmakerguy

Am I the only one crazy enough to work with copper plates? lol I know that it doesn’t give instant results the way most relief work does, but I love it from the initial sketch into the hard ground to using aquatint, scraping, burnishing the whole bit.

I am looking forward to working more with Intaglio over the next few months, I am setting up the studio to use Keith Howard’s non toxic methods… I think that they will work out better in my space than the ‘old school’ ways of doing things. I LOVE the look of etchings, hope someday I can do them with some proficiency myself!!

-Andrew

[FONT="Arial"]

TikiTorch

Hi everyone,

I haven’t posted in a while… I’ve been working alot more hours at my “steady income” job and also doing other artwork, primarily oil painting and some flameworking glass. But about the poll: I marked intaglio because it is the type of printmaking that I have done the most, and really enjoy. I sometimes audit a printmaking class at the university that I attended – exclusively for the opportunity to use the etching chemicals and large presses, etc. When I don’t have use of those facilities I spend time doing relief work. I use safety-cut for the ease and convenience of it and print by hand. I have definitely seen some beautiful relief work (and in this forum), but you can’t beat intaglio for variety of effect. From sugar-lift, soft and hard ground etching, aquatint, xerox transfer and other photo processes, etc… And there have been some beautiful etchings done by great painters such as Terry Winters, Richard Diebenkorn, Bill Jensen (with the help of great master printers of course). Another wonderful thing about intaglio is the level of expirimentation that is possible. I use zinc plates almost exclusively and also do aquatints with spray paint resist, not rosin. I know, not the “purist” approach and not as fine… But if you do a lift-ground aquatint at various etch times and then scrape and burnish, combine with line etch or dry point, the possibilities for that one plate alone are nearly endless. Then of course you could add another plate or chine colle for more dimension…

While I’m at the height of enthusiasm I’ll mention this other technique that I don’t quite remember the name of. It’s a monotype, direct kind of process where you roll up a thin, even layer of ink on a plate of glass, lay the printing paper face down directly on the glass and then draw on the paper. The drawing pulls the ink up onto the paper making a beautiful positive. You can add some texture and variation if you rest your hand on the paper while drawing or avoid it by using a bridge or something. The print can stand alone or you can combine with other using chin colle. Thin asian papers like Kitikata work well. Has anyone else heard of this or tried it?

I’ve included an intaglio image from one of the last group of intaglio prints I worked on, just to add something to the thread to look at if nothing else. Oh yeah, I found the woodcut plates that I thought I lost from the other thread I started on studio practices (proofing) so I’ll get another chance to print an edition when I get to a press.

Happy printing!
                                            Lee

Printmakerguy

I know, not the “purist” approach and not as fine…

If we were all ‘Purists’ and did it the ‘right’ way, there would be no experimentation, which is 1/2 the fun!

Good to see you back, lee… Don’t let the real job get too much in the way!!

-Andrew

[FONT="Arial"]

doug_h

I marked relief printing although my heart is in silkscreen printing. The other day, I got a taste of monoprinting, and wow! I am going to take some lessons from the artist that showed me the technique.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 110 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.