Home Forums Explore Media Clay Plasticine

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

HELLO,
        CAN ANYONE GIVE SOME INFORMATION ON THE PROPERTIES (DRYING, COLURING SUITABILITY ETC.) PLASTICINE. :)

Rahul
        Penguintrax

Plasticene is a non-drying modeling clay. It will never dry and is not durable. It is often used for clay figure animation.

Barbara <--click for my site[/B][/COLOR][/URL] [URL=http://www.polymerclayworkshops.com"]Polymer Clay Workshops - [I]your[/I] online class calendar resource![/URL] [URL=http://www.theipca.org"]Join the International Polymer Clay Association :thumbsup:[/URL]

Penguintrax

Plasticene is a non-drying modeling clay. It will never dry and is not durable. It is often used for clay figure animation.

Barbara <--click for my site[/B][/COLOR][/URL] [URL=http://www.polymerclayworkshops.com"]Polymer Clay Workshops - [I]your[/I] online class calendar resource![/URL] [URL=http://www.theipca.org"]Join the International Polymer Clay Association :thumbsup:[/URL]

It was used as a modeling material in my sculpture class and then a plaster cast was made of the plasticene sculpture and then the original plasticene sculpture would be tossed and the plaster mold used to make a more durable and reproducable product in firable clay or concrete.

Thanks friends.

Rahul
                    DaisyJune

I work with the stuff and if you are concerned with drying-then this isn’t the stuff, Plasticine is an oil based clay that never drys. There are several name brands out there-but you need to be careful. Many cantain sulfur. This is bad for the eye for some folks and also bad with jewlery-they tarnish extermely fast! I fine the best plasticine without sulfur and holds up pretty good is AMACO clay. It can come in a whole mess of colors but they have cream and gray so as an artist-you won’t feel like you’re in grade school.

storm35

Can you pour silicone over plasticine to make a silicone mold?
                            Cxx

chinathimble

Can you pour silicone over plasticine to make a silicone mold?
                                Cxx

I use silicon rubber to make moulds from plasticine masters with no trouble at all

storm35

Ohh goodies, now all i need is to master the technique of making something out of plasticine, thank you my dear.
                                    Cxxx

Ceramicus

I work a lot in plasticene and it is a great material. It can come in a variety of hardnesses to suit your need and it comes in Sulfer based and Non-Sulfer based.

Some companies make it in a variety of colors, others don’t.

Most common brands are ROMA, Chavant, and J-Mac.

ROMA is a sulfer based plasticene and needs to be coated with a sealer if you intend on pouring a silcone mold (it won’t set right if you don’t)

Chavant has a number of plasticenes but La Beau Touche and NSP are probably the most popular. Both are Non-Sulfer Plasticene (which is litterally what NSP stands for). La Beau Touche is a bit more sticky than NSP. They also make a very hard clay called Y2 Klay that is good for carving, but can be warmed and modeled as well. It can also be melted down and poured into a mold if you have a piece you have roughed out in another material but want to add detailing to. It isn’t sticky.

J-Mac comes in Tan and is non-sulfer plasticene. It isn’t as sticky as the Chavant LBT or NSP.

[font=Garamond]Will [/font]

[font=Arial]"All men dream, but not equally. Those men who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the morning to find it was but vanity. But those men who dream by day, these are dangerous men; for they dream with their eyes open to make their dreams come true." [/font]T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia)

storm35

Thank you Will, i will need to check what type of plasticine i have its for kids so it may not haver sulphur in it, thank you.
                                            Chris xx

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.