WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2014, 06:35 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Tao -Latest Commission WIP to Finish x A&W

This is the first time I am posting a WIP. I usually take WIP photos of all works that I do, but this piece came together so fast that it only took 7 sittings. I'm not sure if it was the very limited palette I used (maybe 10-12 sticks in all) or the fact that he was just an easy going guy.

I don't always work section by section, but this painting seemed to want to be painted that way so I went with it.

The colors were very hard to photograph. There are a few subtle browns in here and some mousy brown violets that don't show up as well as IRL. Sorry, I'm just not a photo shop genius!

16 x 20 on MT Touch black paper, one Carre hard pastel, Giraults, one TL, one Mt. Vision.

Of course, C & C welcome!

Cat

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2014, 06:56 AM
Immortalized

Re: Tao -Latest Commission WIP to Finish x A&W

Cat, you did a beautiful job on this! The shiny leather and metal ring and buckles of the harness contrast beautifully with the texture of the hair. You've captured a gentle, sweet expression on the horse's face. Thanks for posting the steps. It was interesting to see your detailed drawing take life!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2014, 07:19 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Ooo, I loved scrolling down the page and discovering more and more. Lovely subtle colors. Thanks for telling us about the sticks. I enjoyed this very much

JAY
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2014, 08:35 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Beautifully done. I love the subtle colors, as well as the dramatic dark background. Very strong work, you got a lot out of those 10-12 sticks!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Lord of the Arts

I can't wait to see in on a big screen. It looks beautiful. It makes me wonder how detailed WIP I would need to be able to follow it. But horses are way too noble for me to try yet.
It's beautiful, Cat. Thank you for not forgetting to take pictures during painting
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Lord of the Arts

Seeing it on the big screen, I am not sure if I am more amazed by the horse or the harness...
Probably the harness
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Blayne, thanks for the comments on the different textures between the leather, the metal and the horse. This really was a fun painting for me to do.

Jay, I'm really glad you liked the WIP. I really wanted to limit my color choices and see how well I could pull it off.

Chris, thanks so much! The background was such a conundrum for me. I wanted to keep it as dramatic as possible but didn't want to leave it on just the black paper. And I also didn't want to ruin it by getting all "artsy fartsy" with tons of colors back there. Simple was best.

Nick, you are so sweet! Doing the bridle was an interesting exercise in trying to keep it simple, but yet catching that soft shine that leather can give. I'm so happy you liked the WIP.

Cat

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2014, 10:54 PM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

This is fantastic in so many ways! Enjoyed the progress shots, thanks for sharing those. One thing...the bottom of painting where you stopped the body of the horse...maybe continue the body to the lower right corner, even very subtle or blurry. Because the way it is now looks just like how a taxidermy mount of a deer would look hanging on wall, and Im pretty sure you dont want that Its very well done, the white'ish coat, the head gear, the eyes, the simplicity....love it all.

Come join us in the Southwest/Western forum
My art blog
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2014, 11:23 PM
Enthusiast
Outside of Darwin Northern Territory

Hails from Australia

Excellently done, I agree with Don about the body on the right side it looks a bit odd at the moment
Deanna

"You can own the Earth and still, all you own is earth untill, you can paint with all the colours of the wind." Disney's Pocohontas.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2014, 04:07 AM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

Beautiful portrait Cathy!!!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2014, 04:55 AM
Enthusiast
Jenison, MI

Hails from United States

Wow Cat, this is stunning. The light horse on the dark background is very dramatic. The eyes really draw you in and you did a wonderful job on the tack. Bob
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2014, 08:20 AM
Enthusiast
New York

Hails from United States

Lovely!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2014, 01:14 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

Cat, This is just so beautifully done and I would love to copy this WIP to the Pastel WIP section so it could be seen easily - do I have your permission?
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2014, 05:46 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Oh absolutely, Deirdre! Please do and thank you!

Ron and Deanna, I understand completely what you are saying about the body on the right side. It gave me some pause and consideration. My problem with this is the fact that he had a rider on him and what you would see directly next to the side of his nose and face is part of the saddle and part of the rider's arm. Also, the girth that holds the saddle on goes directly down vertically from about an inch from his nose. I wanted to keep the focus on the highlighted side of his face without distraction. I can't figure out a way of doing that without adding a lot more to that side of the painting. I'm certainly open to suggestions, though his owner is over the moon with it the way it is.

Marcus, bobbymac and Rockport123, thank you so much for your lovely compliments!

Cat