WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#421   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2019, 10:17 AM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States
Re: The recent painting that you like.

Those are cool Derek. I like them a lot.

John, not that you were asking me, but I wouldn't go so far to call those surreal realism. I think you were more right on with the impressionistic realism. I really love that aspect of these.
  #422   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2019, 10:23 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Arty and John: yes I'm glad that he puts that little spin on his technique.....rather than going full tilt photo-realism.....and there IS a dream-like quality.
  #423   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2019, 10:41 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

I just stumbled upon the artist, Graham Little graduated with an MA from Goldsmiths College, London in 1997. The artist blends Romanticism and Postmodernism in his intricately detailed gouache and coloured pencil drawings, in which he revels in the textures, patterns, and composition of fashion advertisements, while simultaneously re-positioning his subjects as emotionally complex protagonists.

Little’s process is time-consuming and meticulous. He works for months on an individual painting, constructing richly textured scenes, interior and exterior tableaus referencing histories of visual representation from a range of archival imagery. Sourcing images from iconic fashion magazines such as Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar, dating from the mid-1970s to now. The works combine elements from the past and present to create enigmatic and ambiguous scenes woven with quiet narrative and emotion.

The quiet interiors suggest a contemporary take upon Vermeer... but his calm and textured classicism and the hatched textures also suggest elements of the pointillists as well as artists such as George Tooker and Alex Colville... and even John Koch and Paul Fenniak.

#424   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 10:58 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Weasel Among the Wild Strawberries c. 1928, by Katayama Bokuyo was painted on a folding screen in two panels, rendered in sumi ink, gofun or clam shell gesso and mineral pigments. It presents a scene from the margins of a deep forest glade, focusing on a weasel pausing amid wild strawberries. The tall verticals of hinoki or Japanese cypress trunks pace across the screen, their bark cracked and weathered. Below, rich undergrowth textures the forest floor. Horizontal slivers of brown earth dash around the weasel, balanced by two lines of crimson wild strawberries in dotted counterpoint.

Katayama Bokuyo was born in Hiroshima. He studied painting under Tsutaya Ryuko. In 1927, he was first accepted into the annual Imperial art exhibitions where his entry took the tokusen or grand prize. The next year he exhibited this painting, Mori or Forest, at the 9th Teiten, where it earned him mukansa or non-vetted status. Thereafter he exhibited every year through 1931. He died in Hiroshima at the young age of 37 in 1937.

This painting is now in the collection of the Minneapolis Institute of Arts.
  #425   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 11:59 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlukesguild
Weasel Among the Wild Strawberries c. 1928, by Katayama Bokuyo was painted on a folding screen in two panels, rendered in sumi ink, gofun or clam shell gesso and mineral pigments.

That is one lovely picture. Probably took him ages to do.
  #426   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2019, 02:24 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Quote:
Weasel Among the Wild Strawberries c. 1928, by Katayama Bokuyo
Such a lovely and soothing scene.
  #427   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2019, 03:19 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Very beautiful, and very Japanese.
  #428   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2019, 03:26 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: The recent painting that you like.

Roberto Ferri

http://www.robertoferri.net/gallery_2015.php
  #429   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:06 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Recently seen on Gandalf's Gallery:

Edward Okuń - War and Us [1917], oil on canvas, 88 x 111 cm.

I can think of at least one member here who, having a liking for semi-abstract background patterns, might just like this. Assuming he is not already familiar with this artist's entire output. :-)
  #430   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2019, 09:24 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Oh yes... I'm aware of Edward Okuń... but especially that painting. It was reproduced in a book on Post-Modernist and Symbolist Art that I have owned for at least 20 years. Snakes and Butterflies! This gives me many ideas for my backgrounds.
  #431   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2019, 01:42 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

Here's a couple of screen grabs from my friend's Beth Parker's site (a bit outdated). I just mentioned her. I hope she doesn't mind me pulling these from her site. I just think she's really good even though she doesn't think so "yet."

Last edited by Artyczar : 07-11-2019 at 01:55 PM.