WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Surrey, England

Hails from United Kingdom
Weber Permalba black, why the 3 pigments ?

According to the following link

http://www.dickblick.com/items/00452...#colorpigments

Weber's Permalba black contains 3 pigments

* PBr7—Raw Sienna
* PBk11—Mars Black
* PBk7—Lamp Black

What do you think the reason is for their choice of pigments used in this combination?

Raw Sienna would seem to be a particularly unusual choice.

I'm interested in their reasoning and proposed benefits of this combination.
I wonder about the merits of lamp black since it's supposed to be quite a slow drier.
Does anyone know if they add a drier to help it along.

It's in no way a critical question, just interested in it's potential advantages.

thanks,

Brad.

Last edited by Brad121 : 11-26-2009 at 07:08 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2009, 08:20 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Weber Permalba black, why the 3 pigments ?

http://www.artiscreation.com/black.html
I don't see anything wrong with that and it will be still be black.
First some facts:
1-Though they are all three listed, you don't know the amounts. So the PBr7 could be a small amount.
2-Mars black dries fast, good for underpainting, is very opague, strong tinter, can vary in the shade from bluish to black.
3-Lamp black dries slow, not good for underpainting, opague, strong, can vary in shades, usually warm brown shade.
4-Artists who use black to make grays often use a PBr7 pigment to neutralize a biased black
5- Names are fickle monikers, the pigment numbers are more descriptive and that PBr7 will range in shade.
If you mix the three in the right proportion you can get a middle of the road,
drier and neutral color black that can be used for underpaintings, desaturating, whatever, because it is middle of the road.
This is my guess, only Weber knows for sure and you could call a service rep if it matters enough, good luck.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 11-26-2009 at 08:26 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Enthusiast
The O.C., SoCal

Hails from United States
Re: Weber Permalba black, why the 3 pigments ?

Glad u posted this, I just bought a tube with great discount last week. Frankly, I've had several tubes of Permalba white sitting around and only starting using one as a "mixing white" with oils a few months ago on my PA palette. Last week, I posted that I have, at least, knocked off using WN Titanium White after not finding it white enough and started using the P White 100%. I have no reason for their choices comprising black, but non lsurprise me. I like WN Paynes Gray comprised of UMB and other stuff already on my PA palette, a good thing. I may try the P-Black today and have not had a black on my palette.