WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2019, 02:30 PM
Atlantic Canada

Hails from Canada
Where to Post images that fall between the cracks?

It seems that my images mostly fall between the cracks or should I say they don't fall into categories that have been laid out. I suggest another category needs to be implemented. This would be one that would not be possible with traditional analogue process so the "Wet Canvas" Darkroom category wouldn't be appropriate. This would also be a category where the image is not manipulated with software, at least with filters such as HDR, Grunge, Replacing backgrounds, etc etc...

Modern digital capture is able to capture faithful and non manipulated images. Using modern tools to help create a faithful rendering is merely the evolution of modern photography and not necessarily the result of manipulation.

BetterlightSuper6KHS, medium and large format lenses, Sinar hybrid 4x5 cameras[17lenses], D800,16fish,14-24,17-35,28shift,45,60micro,85tilt,105micro,135DF,200mic ro,ipf8300 printer Watercolour,softpastel,acrylic,airbrush,oil stick expert art reprography,finishing Giclée,stretching canvas,collects kolinsky watercolour brushes
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2019, 02:56 PM
Atlantic Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Where to Post images that fall between the cracks?

Here is an example.
The image is created with a high resolution 216 megapixel scan back. It is similar to the old Kodak circuit camera which used springs and gears to move a long piece of film in front of a slit while the camera rotated.
Unlike infrared film, the trilinear sensor can capture natural or infrared images. The camera uses stepper motors to rotate the image and one can input lens length and amount of rotation [IE 360°] as well as ISO and line time. Input camera curves may be used to open up shadows and to keep highlights from clipping. The image can be shot several times and blended together.

This false colour infrared image is white balanced after capture.

So;
this image is one not completely possible with traditional darkroom methods, and it is not highly manipulated although it may seem to be.
Attached Images

BetterlightSuper6KHS, medium and large format lenses, Sinar hybrid 4x5 cameras[17lenses], D800,16fish,14-24,17-35,28shift,45,60micro,85tilt,105micro,135DF,200mic ro,ipf8300 printer Watercolour,softpastel,acrylic,airbrush,oil stick expert art reprography,finishing Giclée,stretching canvas,collects kolinsky watercolour brushes

Last edited by Adamphotoman : 11-09-2019 at 03:50 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 06:22 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

I see no reason not to post it in the Darkroom, with a link to the full-size image.

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 01:16 PM
Atlantic Canada

Hails from Canada

Where do you link it to? I do not use any of the photo sites.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 03:00 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Click Photography bottom right and you will see the Photography sub forums including the darkroom. Read the posting rules.

Doug
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2019, 06:55 PM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

This is an issue that has plagued many art leagues, shows, and competitions: is it pure Photography or is it Digitally Adjusted?

There are virtually no images taken with a camera these days that aren't digitally manipulated. Almost every camera now alters images using various algorithms. By default, these adjustments tend to be ones like color intensity, contrast, sharpness, etc. and they try to produce images that are, in the camera's judgement, the best possible "traditional" images. And cameras can, as noted, apply all sorts of effects, leading to images that are extensively altered and thus definitely not "traditional".

In my area, the Orange County Fair has long been one of the most prestigious events for photographers to show their images. Years ago the OC Fair adopted the practice of determining "photo" vs "digital imagery" by simply asking - "Which does it look more like?"

IMO, the OC Fair's take on the "photo vs digital" issue makes a lot of sense.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Atlantic Canada

Hails from Canada

Interesting Approach-I like it!
So can wet-canvas make a category for this?

BTW the Betterlight scan back does not interpolate or process images in the same way as my D800 does. We do get to choose curves and we can make In Camera ICC profiles. In my way of thinking this isn't all that different from using coloured gels on lights or covering windows with gels to colour balance light for the specific film. Back in the day I even over or under exposed and under or over processed E-6 colour slides in the 1st developer to adjust contrast. And then when printing there was dodging and burning to bring out detail. [Cibachrome]

I even pioneered a wet self masking process for hard B&W negatives. This involved processing an unexposed sheet of paper and then using a squeegee to remove excess developer and to wet fasten the paper to a sheet of glass under the prefocussed enlarger. I used a very long exposure in the 1 1/2 - 2 minute duration. The thin areas on the negative would expose the paper first and the image would start to come up in the darker areas preventing further exposure in those areas. The highlights could then catch up....
Then I would rinse the paper print in clear water and put it back in a mild developer until done.

So these images were highly manipulated in the darkroom.

But the point was to make them look real.

Last edited by Adamphotoman : 11-15-2019 at 12:21 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2019, 12:17 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

We can't contemplate any more sub forums at the moment, the site is in process of redesign and will eventually be moved by the new owners.

Doug
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States

Dear Grant,
I am glad that you shared with us your outstanding capture of Jonathan Livingston Seagull. The details of the new technology that you are using and the methods that you have used in the past pretty much blows me away.

To be perfectly honest, I do not foresee opening another sub-forum in the Photography Forum as we are struggling now to keep the three going now. I do agree with Doug that the Darkroom would probably be the best place for you to post your images.

Looking at the quality of your work, namely the photo you chose to share with us in this thread, I am hoping that not only will you upload more photos but you will share some reactions to the photos that others post.

A warm welcome to WC and hope that we get to see a lot more of your work.

LORELL

PS. Thanks Dave(DROLL13) for sharing your wise and helpful input.
Olympus OM-D E-M1 MarkII, Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens, Sigma 2.8mm FishEye Lens
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2019, 01:07 PM
Atlantic Canada

Hails from Canada

Thank you Lorell for the kind words.
The next image I will share is quite old. I have been painting and make photographs for 53 years. The next one is 40 years old. Find it in the darkroom section

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2019, 05:52 PM
Atlantic Canada

Hails from Canada

And here is an image of the hybrid camera.
Attached Images

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2019, 12:21 AM
Atlantic Canada

Hails from Canada

here is a detail from the false colour infrared image. This prints well easily up to 1o feet long. Look from where the detail comes from....
The flag is moving so there is a coloured fringe. This approaches what the gear is capable of.
Attached Images

Last edited by Adamphotoman : 11-21-2019 at 12:41 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2019, 03:10 AM
Atlantic Canada

Hails from Canada

The Betterlight Super6KHS uses a trilinear sensor. It has 3 monochrome sensor strips installed side by side, and each has a colour filter. One R, one G, and one B. A colour pixel is made up from data from each strip on top of each other. At a slow line time motion artifacts are evident as there is a slight delay between R,G and B capture.
Here is an image of joggers moving at exactly the right speed and in the right direction to become discombobulated.
Attached Images