WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2018, 09:47 AM
WC! Guide

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Figure artists we admire and more...

Chris (caldwell.brobeck) posted this in the go figure forum and has asked me to start the thread

"I’m curious as to whether there would be any interest in starting up a thread (or threads) on ideas like past and current figure artists or movements, approaches to figure work, philosophy of figure work, etc. Not something like what one might find in Debates or the Cafe, just a more focused discussion by people actually doing the work. One thing that motivates me to bring this up is that the last few books on figure art and artists I’ve bought all came to my attention quite by accident, rather than through the old dead tree channels."

I'm going to start this off with some pictures by my current favourite artist Anders Zorn (Swedish, 1860–1920), who, apart from anything else, has helped me immensely with the colour selection for figure work in oils. He is probably known best amongst many artists for his very limited palette, just four colours for painting figures, although he expanded this when painting figures within a landscape.

It's worth finding some some high defintion images on the net (of which there are many) to examine his mastery in placing loose daubs of paint which miraculously become the whole. The man, in my mind, was an artistic genius who could turn his hand to virtually any subject. His watercolours are sublime, he could sculpt, he could etch and he was internationally recognised as a superb portrait artist

You can find a selection of his work here https://www.wikiart.org/en/anders-zorn

Now its your turn
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2018, 01:08 PM
Lost in Texas...

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Figure artists we admire and more...

One vote for Prud’hon. There’s a reason his figure drawings are copied so often. If you want to learn I think Prud’hon is a good place to start. Many times I keep one of his drawings pinned to my board, next to the drawing I’m working on for reference and inspiration. If your interested you can see his work here:

https://www.wikiart.org/en/pierre-paul-prud-hon

-Earl
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2018, 01:16 PM
WC! Guide

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Figure artists we admire and more...

spot on Earl, he was on my short list and your work shows his influence

Last edited by DavidHH : 11-01-2018 at 01:26 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2018, 09:09 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom

An excellent thread! Really looking forward to seeing the artists people will share

My current favourite is Alexander Tinei:

My current second favourite is Andrew Salgado:

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2018, 09:23 AM
WC! Guide

Re: Figure artists we admire and more...

I can see why you like him Sarah. By the way, I just looked at your abstract work - Superb!

Next please...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2018, 07:28 PM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Very hard to choose- because I admire so many!

Here is my shortlist.

for emotion- Alyssa Monks

for pushing boundaries- Jenny Saville

for narrative and composition- Nick Alm

Many more that I admire...

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2018, 07:46 PM
A Local Legend
Australia

Hails from Australia

Thanks Sarah for introducing Andrew Salgado I really like his large scale works.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2018, 10:04 PM
Lost in Texas...

Hails from United States

We have similar tastes Bethany. Nick Alm Is one of my favorites. If ur interested u can hear nick alm and Alyssa monks interviewed on the “John dalton Gently Does It” podcast. Many others as well. -Earl
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2018, 05:41 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
I can see why you like him Sarah. By the way, I just looked at your abstract work - Superb!
Thank you DavidHH!

Quote:
Thanks Sarah for introducing Andrew Salgado I really like his large scale works.
You're welcome! He does fantastic work

I have some more to share:

Cosmin Vaida:

Euan Uglow:

Henry Asencio:

Jylian Gustin:

Vasyl Khodakivskyi:

And for superb draftmanship and mastery of unusual perspectives in the figure, Paul Cadmus:
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2018, 04:36 PM
Hawkesbury, west of Sydney

Hails from Australia

Oh I have to get out more! I can't recall seeing an Anders Zorn painting in real life... and there are so many fantastic figure paintings/painters past and present... and so many I haven't even heard of, I don't have any to add here but keep it up

Mac
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2018, 03:30 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlselwyn
We have similar tastes Bethany. Nick Alm Is one of my favorites. If ur interested u can hear nick alm and Alyssa monks interviewed on the “John dalton Gently Does It” podcast. Many others as well. -Earl

Thank you for the suggestion- I am a podcast fan!

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2018, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member

There are so many that it's hard to just pick one or two from both the past and present. But here's one that I've added to my very long list recently:

Dennis Sarazhin

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2018, 07:58 AM
WC! Guide

It's great that we are already seeing artists that we may not know and how they have influenced forum members. i hope this is what you had in mind Chris
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2018, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

It's fantastic

I always look at the new posts in the thread about recent paintings people like in Cafe Guerbois, but I'm really interested in how people work with the figure. Although I did life drawing classes for years, I've only been producing finished paintings of the figure for three years or so, so still very much a learner.

I wonder if this thread could be stickied, please?

Last edited by SarahY : 11-06-2018 at 08:28 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2018, 08:30 AM
WC! Guide

I think thats on the cards already Sarah if it builds the way its started. Glad you like it